Author Topic: If it passes, let's see them enforce it!  (Read 4618 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
If it passes, let's see them enforce it!
« on: April 02, 2005, 04:02:44 PM »
Law prohibiting straight pipes on bikes passes house in NH, headed to the senate.
http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050324/NEWS0202/50324057
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline '?'

• TURBO TYPER!
Pipes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 05:28:07 PM »
I thought the Harley site was somewhere else. I must have pushed the wrong buttons.
There's nothing sweeter than the feeling I get leaned over in a long sweeper while the sun shines over fields of wind-swept grasses and trees that bracket me, the bike, and the warm lovely sitting tightly against my back.

Offline jimmym1296

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.jandjloghomes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 08:20:58 PM »
If they have a decibel law, why do they need a straight pipe law? Would they write you up for both if you got stopped? I always thought straight pipes actually hurt steet bike performance.
jimmym

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 08:30:20 PM »
Think about it... the owners of the bikes that are out there running straight pipes can't be too concerned about performance or they'd be riding a bike that actually performs.

I don't know if they could write you up for both a db and a stright pipe violation, but having the law written this way gives officers an easy way to cite an offender without having to carry db meters and undergo special training so the can be properly measured. Also gives prosecutors an easy way to make it stick.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 10:25:21 PM »
I'm in favor of it, '?'. The decibel levels should be applied to all vehicles, not just bikes.
  A lot of tractor trailers run straight pipes.....and they're god awful loud, particularily when using an exhaust or compression barke.
   I just don't see them enforcing it.   NH actually has some big bike events during the summer that bring in some $$.
   I'm tired of some bozo on a cruiser sitting next to me at a traffic light,  using his throttle and unmuffled bike to say 'look at me, look at me, look at me!'
  (I also don't like the jerks with the loud stereos at traffic lights, or who have to have it blasting while pumping gas.)
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 10:31:18 PM »
But I love the singing of those big mud tires on lifted 4x4's as they go down the freeway at 70+
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline '?'

• TURBO TYPER!
Noise
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 10:31:37 PM »
I just turn off my hearing aid   :lol:

Seriously, I don't like it either.
There's nothing sweeter than the feeling I get leaned over in a long sweeper while the sun shines over fields of wind-swept grasses and trees that bracket me, the bike, and the warm lovely sitting tightly against my back.

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 11:17:47 PM »
what is a straight pipe ? you could poke a broom handle clean through my yosh pipe end to end and it`s not "loud". it`s just the definition that bothers me do i have a "straight pipe" ?
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 07:59:47 AM »
No 'hint' of a muffler, at all!
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline Landry

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 10:06:52 AM »
Isn't there already a sticker on the bike, warning you that modifying the exhaust to increase the sound level is a violation of federal law?  You'd think that would cover straight pipes.

I hate loud, inconsiderate people.  There's a little uppity town that borders Memphis that has been writing up the ricer punks for a few years.  The cop cars have some sort of sound meter on them, if I'm not mistaken.  They'll get you for the exhaust or the stereo . . .  or both!
Ever noticed that they don't make helmets out of bone? There's a reason.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
pipes
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 02:03:49 PM »
I'm usually not one for the gov't looking under my hood or sniffing/listening to my pipes, but I am for the straight pipe rule.  We have a ton of harley riders and now those kit bikes running all over with no mufflers.  They always park on the front sidewalk of restaurants or stores.  When they leave, its crank it up and rev it for awhile, literally shaking the windows.  Of course the response of non-riders is "something needs to be done about motorcycles"

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 06:13:09 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
No 'hint' of a muffler, at all!

picture this, it`s a yosh ss pipe. on the inside is expanded metal same id as mid pipe and in between the mesh and outside of can is a sound deadening material .it actually sounds pretty tame .like i said though it is a clean shot through end to end . if you wish i can mail you a pic or video . Mark
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 06:39:37 PM »
Strangely enough, MArk, that's enough to muffle the sound a bit.
  If you ever have to remove a slipon for some reason, go ahead and crank the bike for a minute and let it idle without the the midpipe and slipon on.   After the nieghbors stop beating on you, you can imagine that same noise, very slightly reduced, but coming out of the back of the bike.
 :roll:
   I'm no expert on exhaust systems, I've just heard enough engines with straight pipes, or no pipe...........

There's actually quite a few localities with db level laws, but not many enforce them often.   Usually they spring up after a 'problem' has developed.
  (Kids with megawatt stereos cruising, cruiser or squid bikes on parade, etc.)
  It's disgusting that such laws are needed, but some people are arseholes!
    (And they ruin it for the rest of us!)

My Holeshot pipe is pretty loud.  In urban areas I keep the revs down.
  I would like to hear my Bandit from the vantage point of somebody NOT riding it.   I was surprised at how loud the STOCK exhaust was on my DR650 when I was following my Brother who was riding it.
 I think he was wringing it out though.......
  (The awesome sound of 34 ponies......) :roll:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline Bantana

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 07:02:28 PM »
The law should do something to mitigate the mess of America's oldest bike gathering known as Laconia Bike Week.
~lloyd in atlanta
  Doing my best in the Southern Appalachians  to uphold the honor of Bandit riders everywhere.