Author Topic: It's home at long last  (Read 9610 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 09:16:43 AM »
Quote from: "Dreadnought"
Hey buddy...its a brand new bike...take it back to the dealer and tell them you want it running correctly, once they've got it running correctly bring it back home...when Spring comes, fire it up and enjoy. You don't need to be screwing around with a brand new bike....that's what the warranty is for.

+1

If you don't like the screwballs at that dealership, take it to another one.  Suzuki needs to make it right.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 06:57:07 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
I didn't realize it's a brand new bike. I agree with Dreadnought. What were you thinking?  :duh: Get it back to the shop and tell 'em to make it happen.

The problem there is that the dealership I bought it at is closed until Jan 3, and was wanting to ride.  My hope was that there is an easy cleaner that you folks have tested and can say works.  That way I could ride to a good dealership and have all my service done there.  Thanks for the notes on Seafoam, no luck finding any yet.
I was hoping to avoid the local shop altogether as this is one in a series of problems with them.  Nice folks and they have good prices at times, but service has never been their thing.  
The snow has brought everything to a standstill now and it looks like the locals will be open before I can get out on the road anyway.  So -- Yes it is going back to them, and with any luck they will get to it sooner than they normally do.

Offline Caper#5

• TURBO TYPER!
It's home at long last
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 09:54:59 AM »
If it's a problem getting it there with all of the snow, I'd get them to come and pick it up. I know you want to deal with them as little as possible, but it's a new bike and it should run like one. Get them to fix it and in the spring find a better service shop.

I checked the seafoam web site as well, it says Napa sells it. But I did a product search on the canadian site and they don't list it. I'm sure one of the car part stores have it.

Good Luck
2005 GSF 650S

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 10:38:24 AM »
Quote from: "Caper#5"
If it's a problem getting it there with all of the snow, I'd get them to come and pick it up. I know you want to deal with them as little as possible, but it's a new bike and it should run like one. Get them to fix it and in the spring find a better service shop.

I checked the seafoam web site as well, it says Napa sells it. But I did a product search on the canadian site and they don't list it. I'm sure one of the car part stores have it.

Good Luck

Thanks, I agree, I still have to wait until next week to talk to them and by then I might be able to ride it to them. If not they should be willing to pick it up.

I will check with Napa here, and see if they have seafoam.  It's a good thing to know about, and as the same shop is storing my old bike for its' new owner, he may need some.  They have had the bike in storage since September, so I would imagine that the carbs are starting to gum up on it too.

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 02:10:59 PM »
There is some kind of Honda fuel cleaner available at the honda dealers that is similar to Sea Foam. I saw it on this site on some other posting. However I will readily endorse Sea Foam myself. I've used it befor with great resaults. Napa is where I purchased my cans of the stuff. I wonder why they don't list it up  there? Any way...call the Honda dealer they may have the other stuff I was speaking of as most people speak well of their carb claener too.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 08:20:35 PM »
Advanced Auto Parts and AutoZone in the US carry it, perhaps you can order it over the border? Don't know if there's any 9/11 paranoia or other restriction on such a product going over the border.

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 10:44:55 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
Advanced Auto Parts and AutoZone in the US carry it, perhaps you can order it over the border? Don't know if there's any 9/11 paranoia or other restriction on such a product going over the border.

I found Sea Foam at NAPA today.  I walked in and found a big new display right by the cash register.  They had not been selling it until just a couple of months back.   Anyway I bought one for my truck (can't hurt) and will wait until the shop responds before adding anything to my bike.  The roads are still are a mess and I may as well give the shop a chance to put things right before doing anything else.  
If they don't make it right -- well the bike show is here on the 5th and there should be Suzuki reps there to get advice from, and I know where the Sea Foam can be found.  :motorsmile:

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
It's home at long last
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
Re: It's home at long last
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2007, 10:54:25 PM »
Quote from: "Ranger"
Dang, I didn't realize it's a new Bandit.  Since you've got a can of SeaFoam, pour it in...the worst that can happen is it either works or it doesn't.

+1 on taking it back to a dealer, but if the dealers up there are anything like some of the ones I've encountered in SD County, I'd be looking for a repair manual, a heater for the garage, and some tools  :wink:

We actually have a couple of very good dealerships in Calgary.  It's just that I'm in a town about 15 miles west.

The only real problem I have ever had with bike shops in the area is with the one here in my town.  I took them an old bike once and asked for an estimate to clean the carbs and check the rest of the bike out, I was going on a trip and wanted to ride when I got back.  When I got back the bike had not moved.  They were sorry but they were busy and would get to it soon.  Took it home and did the repairs myself.  I have given them other chances and they have always been too late or no help.
For the past year or two I only go there to buy oil filters and simple things.  It was when I was picking up oil that I noticed the Bandit and the owner of the shop asked about my bike as he was looking for one for a long time customer of his.  That is were the deal came from.  I had never intended to buy a bike there, but at $200 over his cost -what could I say?

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 07:48:48 PM »
Way to go, greyhound....you finally got it home..:beers:
I vote with the other guys....hold the dealer's feet to the fire and get THEM to get it sorted out. What a bunch of tossers to expect ANY customer to ride a NEW bike with gummed up carbs!!!
You'd think a small town dealer would try harder so he could make the big-box Calgary stores look worse by comparison and increase his business based on great word-of-mouth recommendations....but I guess that'd be in a perfect world. Of course he may figure that since he's located in Calgary and area he's got an ever-expanding pool of suckers...er....customers to choose from....
Anyway....I'd definitely be all over the dealer on this.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 10:27:02 PM »
"Anyway....I'd definitely be all over the dealer on this."

Tomorrow will tell the tail.  I should have a phone call first thing, and be ready to ride on the weekend..  Oh wait -4C on Saturday and -7C on Sunday and then colder and colder.  

It's all in the timing, either you have it or you don't  :crybaby:

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
It's home at long last
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 10:44:44 PM »
Its funny how since I was a kid dealers by in large haven’t changed a bit so I am not a bit surprised. After I agreed to the outrageous preparation fee ($250) on the invoice of my new 05 B12 and waited 2 hours when I got the bike home and check it over the battery hadn’t been charged, the tires had 10 PSI, and the steering head bold was hand tight (no kidding). Anyway I do allot of desert riding on my DRZ400 and so my B12 hasn’t been ridden in about 2 months and I could tell the carbs were acting up a bit in low RPM stumble. So as usual I just poured in a proportional amount of STP fuel cleaner (2 ounces) and took it out for a 5 mile ride, let it set at the gym while I worked out and when I started it up again all was once again right and the stumble was gone and acceleration popping all gone, just as if I had just synchronized the carbs. I think any good carb cleaner will work.

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 10:51:57 AM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
Its funny how since I was a kid dealers by in large haven’t changed a bit so I am not a bit surprised. After I agreed to the outrageous preparation fee ($250) on the invoice of my new 05 B12 and waited 2 hours when I got the bike home and check it over the battery hadn’t been charged, the tires had 10 PSI, and the steering head bold was hand tight (no kidding). Anyway I do allot of desert riding on my DRZ400 and so my B12 hasn’t been ridden in about 2 months and I could tell the carbs were acting up a bit in low RPM stumble. So as usual I just poured in a proportional amount of STP fuel cleaner (2 ounces) and took it out for a 5 mile ride, let it set at the gym while I worked out and when I started it up again all was once again right and the stumble was gone and acceleration popping all gone, just as if I had just synchronized the carbs. I think any good carb cleaner will work.

When my son bought his SV650 from a dealer in Calgary we arrived to pick it up and it was washed. The tire pressure was right on.  The salesman who sold him the bike spent 20 minutes explaining every little detail on the bike (we already knew) and gave him a gas voucher for the station on the corner.  We did a post first ride check when we got home and everything was perfect.   For some very strange reason I had expected the same treatment.  :duh:

I am still waiting for the dealer to call and arrange to clean my bike up.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
It's home at long last
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007, 01:31:23 PM »
I suppose in all fairness I have had 2 out of 12 good dealer experiences so I will name them here. Walts Yamaha in Lake Havasu AZ, I bought an 06 Yamaha Vino 125 scooter. They did the whole maintenance walk through, gave me the best price ($2700 OTD) and even made me a calendar with my picture. Suzuki of Kingman AZ, where I bought my 05 DRZ400 ($5100 OTD) & Ozark ATV 250 ($3500 OTD), they gave me the best price did all the servicing in front of me. But all the rest have been bad experiences, from fraud to damaged repairs.

Quote from: "06 Greyhound"
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"

When my son bought his SV650 from a dealer in Calgary we arrived to pick it up and it was washed. The tire pressure was right on.  The salesman who sold him the bike spent 20 minutes explaining every little detail on the bike (we already knew) and gave him a gas voucher for the station on the corner.  We did a post first ride check when we got home and everything was perfect.   For some very strange reason I had expected the same treatment.  :duh:

I am still waiting for the dealer to call and arrange to clean my bike up.

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
The dealer called this morning and I took the bike in after work.  It took me 15 minutes to get it running to the point were I could keep it (with work) running at the stop signs.  After all I had to travel the better part of 1 1/2 kilometers from my garage to the shop.
I mentioned the low tire pressure and the dirt and the really rotten idle and rough starting etc. They have promised to work on it first thing tomorrow morning.
We shall see what happens - It seems that they don't have shop labour because of the shortage of workers, skilled or non-skilled, in Alberta generally. So they might not have it for me until next week, what with the bike show and all.  They did say the all the Suzuki Reps would be there so that if they had problems they could get some help.  I pointed out that I will also be stopping by to talk to the Reps.

In response to CW04GUNNER
Walt Healy in Calgary sold my son his bike and I have taken my other Suzuki there for service and always been impressed.  Not counting the time I was waiting for them to finish the service on my bike when a very attractive young lady with a surprisingly low cut top rode in to ask about tire pressure or something.  The service was slow that day, I realized after sometime.  (Side note; always carry a digital tire gage