Author Topic: It's home at long last  (Read 9612 times)

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« on: December 23, 2006, 10:47:57 PM »
I bought this a couple of months back and for one thing and another it has been sitting at the shop.  
Sitting at the shop has been a problem because it seems that they don't like to bother with silly things like -- say-- fuel stabilizer.   I can't imagine when the gas was first put in the bike but I do know it has been untouched for at least three months.   It took them about an hour to get it started while I waited.  It ran fine that night, too dark and cold to ride for long.   And today it ran like crap - ofcourse the shop is closed until after New Years.
So far I have drained the few liters of fuel that was in it and replaced it with fresh and stabilizer and after tons of struggling managed to do about 10km before parking it tonight.

Here is a shot of it actually running.

and a tight shot of upfront

I had planned to be a lot happier about making this post.
And if anyone knows of a good carb cleaner maybe I can perk up a little before the next nice riding day.

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 10:55:19 PM »
One more little note. When I checked it this morning the chain had not been oiled and the tires were at 24 psi.

I just can't say enough about the service at that shop.  
I think they might see it just one more time -- that is if I don't come up with a good carb cleaner.  :gatlin

Offline zeebandit

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 07:07:47 AM »
Try a product called Seafoam.  :bigok:
Free thinker and proud to be a member of a board that let's me be one.

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 11:39:59 AM »
But it does feel good to finally get it home eh? I spent an hour or so just walking around it and looking at it when I brought mine home :grin:

:congrats:
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »
Quote from: "Dreadnought"
But it does feel good to finally get it home eh? I spent an hour or so just walking around it and looking at it when I brought mine home :grin:

:congrats:

Well thanks.
I did spend couple of hours walking around it - will cleaning cloths, and chain lube, before lifting the tank and draining it.

I got it out today, but it took about 10 minutes before it would idle.  Once I got out though it's a blast.  It's smooth and quick and a joy to ride.  I'm even more angry that I was robbed of the qualities of the bike on the first ride.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 02:37:20 AM »
I second SeaFoam. I found it at the local franchised auto supply shop. You're going to have to run it through, though. You said it was cold where you are (where is Cochrane?), if you don't have snow or ice, bundle up and ride a tank's worth to get it through the system, then let it sit in the fuel lines at least overnight.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 10:00:08 AM »
Hey  :congrats: and  :welcome: The 06's were so lean but they couldn't pass the EPA stuff here so I'm thinking the plugs need to come off the carbs and the primary screws need to adjust out to about 21/2 turns to get the idle you will like. Even though your headers look to be the healthy gold they should be. Make sure the owner B 4 U didn't put a K&N filter in the box. One simple way to tell if its just lean and not a plugged jet etc is with the seat off, restrict the snorkel a bit, if it idles smoothly and strong your lean and the primary jet adjustment is needed! If it makes it worse you have some restricting of the jets or passages and maybe the Seafoam will help. :beers:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 11:37:32 AM »
How does the ABS work for you? I'm very interested to know if you can still brake hard into the turns without it going "soft" on you.... also is there a way to disable the ABS function and return it to normal braking?

Congrats on the new bike!  :congrats:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 11:35:45 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
I second SeaFoam. I found it at the local franchised auto supply shop. You're going to have to run it through, though. You said it was cold where you are (where is Cochrane?), if you don't have snow or ice, bundle up and ride a tank's worth to get it through the system, then let it sit in the fuel lines at least overnight.

Cochrane is just west of Calgary Alberta.  
It has it warm days and cold ones. Usually we just have to wait until a storm blows into the west coast and then we ride in the warm Chinook winds.  
I have found the Seafoam website and will see if it can be purchased here.
First I'm taking it back to the store and telling them that I'm less than please.  In three days of riding I have managed to put all of 30 km on the bike,  and when you consider that it had 2km when I picked it up.  It should be running just a bit better than it is.

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 11:41:16 PM »
Quote from: "Daytona"
Hey  :congrats: and  :welcome: The 06's were so lean but they couldn't pass the EPA stuff here so I'm thinking the plugs need to come off the carbs and the primary screws need to adjust out to about 21/2 turns to get the idle you will like. Even though your headers look to be the healthy gold they should be. Make sure the owner B 4 U didn't put a K&N filter in the box. One simple way to tell if its just lean and not a plugged jet etc is with the seat off, restrict the snorkel a bit, if it idles smoothly and strong your lean and the primary jet adjustment is needed! If it makes it worse you have some restricting of the jets or passages and maybe the Seafoam will help. :beers:

This bike is brand new, only 2km on the clock.
I got a very good price on the bike as it was the end of the season sell off.  This is what makes me think that the fuel in it was what they put in to test fire it last spring when the brought it into the shop.  That's why I'm convinced it's bad gas in the carb that is the problem.

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 11:45:04 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
How does the ABS work for you? I'm very interested to know if you can still brake hard into the turns without it going "soft" on you.... also is there a way to disable the ABS function and return it to normal braking?

Congrats on the new bike!  :congrats:

The ABS shuts off below 10km or 6 miles an hour.  There is indicator light that shows red when the ABS is off.  There is no switch it's all automatic.

I have no idea about cornering with it yet as I still trying to get it to run.

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
It's home at long last
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 08:01:42 PM »
:monkeymoon:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Carbs gummed
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2006, 10:35:44 PM »
Quote from: Ranger
Quote from: "06 Greyhound"
Quote from: "ZenMan"

I have no idea about cornering with it yet as I still trying to get it to run.

1st, get two spray cans of SeaFoam or one spray and one pour can.
With the garage door open and no open flames, pull the tank, drain it. Pull the petcock, hose off with SeaFoam  spray or cleaner in a can, set aside and let it dry off....Don't use it all of the cleaner just yet:
With the tank off, pour some down into the gas line directly into the carbs, twist the throttle once or twice to get some past the needles and jets (hopefully).
While the tank is still off, pull the top off of each carb (do one at a time) watching for that little rubber grommet and with the slide lifted out, spray the crap out of each carb through the top.
After you've used up all the cleaner, break open the floatbowl drain screws and let everything flow out.  I've gone so far as to slow pour cleaner down the fuel line while the bowl screw was loose, just to verify it's flowing out that bowl.  Once you've drained them and tightened the screws, pour the remaining cleaner down the fuel line and let it sit for maybe an hour or while you're bolting everything back up.

Pour in some fresh gas and just cranking it (no throttle) start it up outside.

You should be good to go from there
  :beers:

We have a heavy snow fall warning tonight so it's going to be a few days before I can do much of anything.  The bike is garaged, but not heated and -22 nights make doing the fine work difficult.  
I checked Canadian Tire for Seafoam and no luck.  I will check with a couple of Auto parts stores tomorrow and see if we have it here or if it can be ordered.

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 01:24:02 AM »
Hey buddy...its a brand new bike...take it back to the dealer and tell them you want it running correctly, once they've got it running correctly bring it back home...when Spring comes, fire it up and enjoy. You don't need to be screwing around with a brand new bike....that's what the warranty is for.
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It's home at long last
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 05:24:25 AM »
I didn't realize it's a brand new bike. I agree with Dreadnought. What were you thinking?  :duh: Get it back to the shop and tell 'em to make it happen.