Author Topic: Need psychoanalysis regarding motorbikes  (Read 8344 times)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Need psychoanalysis regarding motorbikes
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 01:23:59 PM »
PaulVS: Okay...

This is it...

I'm officially starting a new charity event:

The "Give-money-to-D.A.-so-he-can buy-the-motorcycle-of-his-wet-dreams-and-quit-whining" fund.

I'll start the ball rolling with a $.05 donation.  

Who's with me?

Naw, I'm over it, man.  But I'll take the $.05!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 01:53:27 PM »
Awww C'mon... at $.05 a head... by 2020 we can get you a brand new moped.  

(Which will be the only gasoline-powered vehicles available by that time.)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 09:22:14 PM »
>>None of the RG series ever made it to the States - officially.<<

That's what I suspected. Curious , though, how does the RGV 250 Gamma get "62 hp/ 11,000 rpm", is it because it's a two-stroke?

Also, is it me, or are there some bikes missing in that "all Suzuki" site?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 10:13:49 AM »
Yup, because it is a high-strung racing 2-stroke... don't go expecting to get a bunch of miles out of one like you'd get out of a Bandit.

Yes, the site is not complete, but a work in progress. He welcomes anyone with missing or corrected info, pics, etc. I've yet to see another site out there with more info for any bike make and think he's done a great job so far.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Need psychoanalysis regarding motorbikes
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2006, 11:16:45 PM »
OK, daddio, you done ast fer it!

Fergit the bikes ya missed - they were sorta working up to the good stuff we have now. Reliability? Power? Handling? Hah! Lucky for me, I lived with a Yamaha XS850SG for 20 years through the worst of those bad designs. But this didn't happen without a lot of help from a great bunch of people on the Yamaha y-triples website - a lot like this group here.

So, nah - you didn't miss much. There were a FEW bikes that were KEEPERS, but nothing like what we have now. Gopher a Bandit 1200 and don't look back.

The "other"  Herb

Quote from: Desolation Angel
Sort of on a serious note, sort of...

My first two bikes, both bought new, were a '73 GT250 and a '78 GS750E.  I had an '80 Lowrider for a year, but I'm still trying to forget that experience.  Anyway, after that nothing for 23 years.  Didn't go look at bikes, nor look at bike mags the whole time.  Every bike I ever saw or that friends owned were GSes, CBs, KZs, etc.  Therefore, now that I've renewed my interest, all those bikes I missed out on are fascinating to me!  To me, they ARE new bikes, you see?  Those six cylinder KZ1300s, the CBXs, the GS1150s, Eliminators, Katanas, etc., really call to me.  I never got to participate in the game when they were new and I wish I had.

My poor brain is sort working it like a great TV series that you come across late in the third season.....you really dig the show NOW, but you want to go back and watch season 1, 2, and 3, up until you get caught up.  And then continue WITH it!  I have trouble getting past all those things I missed out on 20 years ago.  And find myself dwelling on them, and I probably ought to let them stay in the past.

What do you think?

Should I be satisfied just looking at the things I never got to own, but leave them in the past?  And the '90s!  Geez, I don't know anything about the '90s model bikes other than the fetal position sportbike look took over along with shameless Harley cloning.  I'm still behind in what I know and think about motorbikes.

Leave the past where it is and concentrate on what is NOW?  I don't have the problem with cars, cause I got what I wanted (or could afford) all along.

Help me sort this out before I blow a chunk of change!  :shock:  :grin:

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2006, 12:24:40 AM »
Well, Herb, if you're mad to have green paint (figuratively speaking) then why not a mid-late 80's GPZ 900/1000 ?? Lotsa power, decent handling, squid bike styling BUT not as radical a riding position as modern squid bikes AND a pretty much bulletproof motor.
For something with the Big Red S on the tank, why not an early '80's big block 16 valve Katana ??....either the 1000 or the 1100.....again, bulletproof motor with bags of power, seriously funky styling by Hans Muth but a somewhat more radical riding position than the GPZ's.
Either one of these would give you that "early sportbike" experience for relatively little dough and wouldn't eat you out of house and home with repair bills either.
For a little less intense experience, a favourite wet dream of mine has always been the extremely rare '83 GS1100ES with the monoshock rear end, factory half fairing and the very dependable big block 16 valver. If I could have found one of those I maybe wouldn't have had to buy my Bandit......but a new bike DOES have its advantages, for sure.....
As usual, JMO.....
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2006, 07:51:07 AM »
I'm thinking 80s 750 gsx-r, its about to come vintage and will be a top bike in vintage racing . So I can be racing instead of watching races @ Mid ohio vintage days. But not if my wife can persuade me otherwise,she's not so keen on this racing thing.