Author Topic: Loud pipes DON'T saves lives  (Read 15586 times)

Offline deepink

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.oldredtruck.com
Loud pipes DON'T saves lives
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2006, 12:26:42 PM »
Here, Here!
2001 Bandit 1200 - \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Revised\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline Maximus

• TURBO TYPER!
Overgrown Kids and Loud Pipes
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2006, 04:39:41 PM »
Loud pipes=annoying immature idiocy.

Do you guys really think that some blue-hair is driving along with her husband and says "Earle!  I hear a motorcycle!  Keep an eye out for him - let's be real careful."  Bull.  Loud pipes are an annoyance.  You loud pipe guys annoy the non-riding public and you annoy me.  You inspire no end of emnity toward motorcyclists in general with your silly loud fart-sounding pipes.  I fully support law enforcement efforts to clamp down on your idiotic noise-makers.

Max

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 01:05:14 AM »
Yes opinions are like assholes everyone’s got one. :monkeymoon:

You know Mike, I’m not actually working up a sweat over opinions, in fact its bloody hard here at the moment to get up a sweat full stop, good old Melb weather has us rained in for the last 3 days, :crybaby:  the bikes are polished, the shed is spotless, and as for the cable Television, well 143 channels of total shyte to choose from, so crossing swords, with anyone over the subject of whether of not, loud pipes save lives, has actually been about the only thing that has kept me amused and sane over the past 3 days.

But having just said that, every one would know I am passionate about my motorcycling,
and an advocate for making it safer. However I will not idlely sit back at let, dribble such as that, which has been presented to us at Bandit Alley, which within its very first sentence, contradicts its whole argument against loud pipes. (Once again,  :stickpoke: hey Pete)

I don’t know about how things are done in your respective countries, but down here, politicians aids, search the web for places like Bandit Alley, to use such dribble, whether the dribble is actually factual, truthful, or has any creditable value, if it falls into the agenda that is being pursued they will use it. And further more if no-one stands up and points out the untruths, the flaws in the theories, and that so called facts are nothing more than someone’s, misinformed, uneducated opinion, such articles will be, and have been used against us.

Yes I admit there is a few among us the motorcycling fraternity, for the want of a better word, I shall call them 1%ers. Yes some of them ride really really loud bikes. But surely this is nothing more than a momentary nuisance factor, should we let governments stop us from modifying our bikes, in order to make it run better than it would and does when it comes from the factory. Well folks it’s high time that you put things back into some sort of perspective, because dribble like the one, claiming loud pipes don’t save lives, is going to have a direct impact on you, me, and every other motorcyclist. And are the 1%ers going to take any notice? Forgive me for answering my own question, No. So all that the article stating that loud pipes do not save lives, will do is impact on those, who don’t wish to ride on a bike that, at best can be out noised by the farts, at the local beans and chilly dinner.

One should maybe look at the loud 1%er as in actual fact our best friend, because while the law, and the EPA is out hassling them, they are leaving us alone. :bigok:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Overgrown Kids and Loud Pipes
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 01:13:12 AM »
Quote from: "Maximus"

Do you guys really think that some blue-hair is driving along with her husband and says "Earle!  I hear a motorcycle!  Keep an eye out for him - let's be real careful."  

Max

Maybe not, but Earle might just be happy for, 1 second maybe 2, that the blue-hairs nagging voice has been mometaryly muffled. :crackattack:

BTW  Max, do you have you at least a theory, on why loud pipes don’t save lives. If so I would love to read it. No I didn't think so.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2006, 09:12:55 AM »
I've said it before on this topic, I think louder than stock pipes help with being notice, but un-baffled straight thru pipes tend to be a bit too loud...

However, what I find more annoying than loud pipes, on bikes, cars or trucks, is that damn DOOF DOOF music the teenagers play so loud that you have no hope of hearing anything else.....that's obscene, dangerous, unpleasant and just plain WRONG....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2006, 09:25:07 AM »
I'm withya there Aussie !  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2006, 09:25:18 AM »
Quote from: "aussiebandit"
I've said it before on this topic, I think louder than stock pipes help with being notice, but un-baffled straight thru pipes tend to be a bit too loud...

However, what I find more annoying than loud pipes, on bikes, cars or trucks, is that damn DOOF DOOF music the teenagers play so loud that you have no hope of hearing anything else.....that's obscene, dangerous, unpleasant and just plain WRONG....

Don't tell me you have the U.S. style depressed inner city ethno hip hop rap crap trash down under!  :shock:   I figured only WE suffered with that garbage.

If so, let me personally apologize on behalf of most of us normal folks for that disease spreading across the ocean.  We don't get it, either.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2006, 09:32:52 AM »
The only thing I can be thankful for, is that my teenage son doesn't listen that crap.   He listens to some other crap, that sounds sort of familar, sort of like Sex Pistols, but LOUDER and RUDER....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline JimBob

• New user!
Re: Holeshot Performance
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2006, 02:34:14 PM »
Quote from: B6mick
Quote from: "JimBob"

If you get into a wreck and its your fault, then you know what to do next time.
If you get into a wreck and it was their fault,........It's STILL your fault. You have to ride as though nobody sees you, hears you, or notices that you exist. YOU have to take the responsibility for avoiding death. Look, listen, watch closely where they are looking, what they are doing, if they are on a cell phone, etc. You are the best defense. Not the pipe.

I agree in part, with your statement, but I feel you’re a bit harsh in the statement that any motorcycle car, truck, bus collision, is always the motorcyclist fault.
I agree that that one can limit, the possibilities of collisions, and have proved this theory, and in fact, practiced it. But even so we as motorcyclists, are unable to control, or anticipate, all reactions, counter reactions, or abilities of our fellow road users, or the changing environment in which we are riding in.

Your statements, would be however quite correct in the perfect world with perfect fellow road users, and ourselves being perfect riders within a perfect riding environment.

================================

My words are not intended to be taken literally sir. There are certainly times when the wreck was someone else's fault. To think otherwise would be devoid of rationalle'.
My words ARE intended to encourage riders to take personal responsibility for their own safety.
A loud pipe in other words,...may be fun, aurally exciting, ego boosting, and in some instances, alerting to another driver/rider,....but they are also a poor substitute for a watchful eye, an engaged mind, open ears, and the assumption that they do NOT see or hear you.
I fear that placing trust, to any major degree, in the sound of a loud pipe to alert drivers of my presence, also lessens proportionately, the amount of personal attention I am paying to the [ever changing] conditions around me.
Heb 11:6  But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2006, 08:06:56 PM »
B6mick

Is your government really that bad?  They can place restrictions on motorcycle modding based on conversations in a forum?

:shock:

No wonder we have immigration problems.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline Maximus

• TURBO TYPER!
Why would the stupid loud pipes save lives?
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2006, 11:00:45 PM »
They are primarily audible from the rear and sides.  A driver directly behind a loud-pipe dork will already SEE him (duh).  The drivers getting ready to cut across the loud-pipe dork will never hear him unless his pipes are facing FORWARD.  Loud pipes are juvenile noise-makers that are designed to entertain immature riders and annoy other people.

Spending money on rider training and high-visibility gear is a far better investment in your personal safety.  Unless you really, really think that the hooligans from Mad Max were "cool."

Offline deepink

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.oldredtruck.com
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2006, 11:41:14 PM »
Are you seriously trying to convince us that sound only travels in one direction? Or in a 180 degree direction?
That simply defies common physics.  Even something as simple as the Doppler effect allows for continuing to hear a sound after it passes you.
(Yes - I do know that the doppler effect is based on a sound moving toward you at a speed.  So please don't try to tell me that I don't even understand that.)

I think everyone here agrees that Loud - straight - unbaffled pipes are obnoxious.

I also agree that you have to be even more aware of the blue-hair driving in front of you with her perpetual turn signal telling us she is turning left, even when she is in the left most lane.  But to call people with aftermarket pipes on their motorcycles idiots and dorks is just plain rude.  Almost just as obnoxious as the loud pipe themselves.

Why does everyone have to take this discussion so personal?  I should probably go back and check my other posts - but I don't remember calling people here idiots.  

Leave it to a 7 time poster to join a forum, with so much useful information available, to start name calling.  Oh well.  

I Love my modified bike, and if I saw his unmodified one, would like it too, because I like that you can personalize the motorcycle to your liking.

Cheers!
2001 Bandit 1200 - \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Revised\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2006, 11:57:24 PM »
:clap:

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2006, 12:45:33 AM »
YO....BACK WHEN I WAS CHILLIN N KILLIN.
I GOTS MY SHIZZON SCOOTER CLUB AND WE
THOUGHT WE WAS THE SHIZOLIZ,
BUT I AIN'T RIDIN SCOOT LIKE YODEEZE BADD-ASS BOYZ !  
DIS BROTHA WID DA NO PIPE EXHAUST, BOYYYYEE, HE COULD SCREAM !
A BADASS NOISY N !  BUST A WORD. N !
[/size]

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2006, 07:33:40 AM »
Quote from: "ant_129"
B6mick

Is your government really that bad?  They can place restrictions on motorcycle modding based on conversations in a forum?

:shock:

No wonder we have immigration problems.

Yes our government does monitor all sorts of forums and web sites, not just motorcycle related stuff and I would assume that yours would to. Our politicians get their researchers and aids, to look things over, to see if they can find shyte that just may strengthen an argument, or an agenda, of course they do, and why wouldn’t they the webs full of bullshyte articles like the one brought forward to us here on Bandit Alley.

Yet here on Bandit Alley we have the truly remarkable ones :stickpoke: , who still fail beyond comprehension to put forward a single valid representation, to support their theory that loud pipes do not save lives. I really don’t care if you don’t like loud pipes, that is in fact your god given right, and again I will sit here and argue that you have every right to think that. But not liking loud pipes or the people that do have loud pipes :thanks:  is the most piss weak argument to their theory that loud pipes don’t save lives I think I have ever heard :monkeymoon: .

Well maybe Herbs, could count, but if Max is correct :toofunny: , if you should ride past Herbs place, do so as fast as you can, because Herb will not hear you coming, so by the time Herb grabs his goesbanger :gatlin , and runs to the front yard, you will be in fact long gone, thus avoiding that butt full of buck shot. But I wouldn’t count on Max’s theory  :duh: on how low frequencies travel from their point of origin, being anywhere near close to fact. Not unless, as I said before, you guys have produced motorcycles that can break the speed of sound :bigok:  :beers:  :bigok:  :beers: . Top stuff, are they expensive, send me, pics and the specs. :motorsmile: I reckon I could cut the mufflers off it and piss you guys off, from over here. :lol:  :toofunny:  :lol:  :toofunny:  :lol:  :toofunny:  :lol: