Author Topic: Loud pipes...  (Read 9663 times)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Loud pipes...
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 07:19:20 AM »
Couldn't agree more Mick.....Loud pipes do save lives, and yes they can send you deaf...that's why they invented ear plugs.....

As Mick will confirm, my B12 is exceedingly quiet, however the Treasurers M750 makes up for it and then some....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Loud pipes...
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 07:30:48 AM »
Quote from: "aussiebandit"

As Mick will confirm, my B12 is exceedingly quiet, however the Treasurers M750 makes up for it and then some....

Good news Mick,
The shop now stocks  Jardine, Yoshi, Remus and Micron.
And yes we still mod Remus cans down to little tiny small like' loud and obnoxious shorty cans. :shock: Like mine. :crackattack:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline banditII

• Board Homesteader!
Loud pipes...
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 11:12:40 AM »
I don't mind louder than stock pipes, it's just the super deafening megaphone loud ones that to me, are over the top.  As far as being heard goes, the left turning car up ahead may not hear your loud pipes anyway.  Your pipes are pointed in the opposite direction.  I can see loud pipes warning car drivers of your presence going in the same direction on the highway, say as the bike comes alongside the car in the cars blind spot.  There is probably a happy medium in there somewhere.  Public opinion of we motorcyclists is indeed something we need to consider.  If we don't police ourselves, it may be that the public will take care of that for us.
Riding motorcycles..........and loving it! :-)

Warren

Offline jeepskate99

• Board Homesteader!
Loud pipes...
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »
I don't know if anyone here ever read "The Hurt Report".  If not you should.  It points out a few things you may not expect.  Such as loud pipes DO NOT make you any safer.  Also that lane splitting when done properly is safer the sitting open to a rear end collision.  This report was published in the late 70's but the info within still stands true today.  Plus it was the only report of its type that used ACTUAL accident reports and research to arrive at real world findings.  It was credible enough to keep California from banning lane splitting.  Good Read
There are no stupid questions,  only stupid people asking questions!

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Loud pipes...
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 11:43:22 AM »
Yeah, loud pipes will eventually prevent most of us from dying in a motorcycle crash, since they give ammunition to the idiots who would like to ban bikes, altogether.
  In some circumstances, not all, the sound of a loud pipe does alert cars to the presence of a bike.   The problem is, as mentioned, the sound doesn't exactly always travel in the direction you need it to.
 I live a block off of a main drag, and 2 good blocks from a busy intersection.   (Maybe 2-300 yards from it, as the crow flies.)
  I'm sure the loud pipe bunch riding down the main drag, and through that intersection feel much more secure knowing I can hear them in my apartment, and they are in no danger of me running over them with my SOFA!
  Of course, I can't really tell which direction they're going from here.....
  I've driven more miles than most, and am not convinced any benefit you'd derive from loud pipes, outweighs the amount of annoyance they create.
  The pipes themselves aren't totally the problem.  I'm convinced it's the idiots clamped to the throttle.  It is possible to keep a loud bike 'quiet.

I guess the cruisers are terrified of being run over at stop signs and stop lights, since they seem to love to exercise the pipes while stopped at them.

If the 'loud' thing works, why don't you hear any other group associated with a means of transportation promoting loud exhausts?

Loud pipes on hearses save lives?

Loud pipes on trash trucks save lives?

Loud shoes on the horses pulling Amish buggies save lives?
 :monkeymoon:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Loud pipes...
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 12:08:28 PM »
IMO, loud pipes don't make you less invisible to getting hit by cagers.  Defensive driving does... probably 99% of the time.

When you're on a motorcycle... if you're not assuming that every car that can hit you will hit you... and you think you've got some added 'security' with loud pipes... you've got an accident sometime in your future.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Loud pipes...
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 12:29:54 PM »
I know that Pete (and apparently others) always rolls his eyes at this but I don't understand how being heard can't help you be noticed.  That makes no sense to me.  If I'm stuck between a car and a Jersey barrier and have the choice between the cager hearing me and not... I'm pickin' hearing me!  

Don't get me wrong - the deafening, window-rattling straight pipes are idiotic.  I just don't see how there is this ongoing argument about whether being heard is safer.  It's a no-brainer.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Loud pipes...
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 12:31:08 PM »
That must be it. I'm actually hearing those loud, safe, bikes in Australia, 15000 miles away.
 Just wait until I tell PETA you damn Aussies are deafening the 'roos!

Yeah, Rob, in some situations, some noise helps.   Hey, there's a horn on this bike, somewhere.  I likewise, have made some noise in situations when a car is alongside of me, and not acting like they know I'm there.
As a 'blanket' policy, the pipes can't be heard in all directions you have danger from.
  I'd actually like to see some accident figures from loud bikes being pulled out in front of, or turned in front of, versus, quite bikes.

Added to the list of board 'Danger' subjects...
      Loud Pipes save lives
                  Best oil?
                  Liberal/Conservative
                  Helmets
                  Nudity/obscenity in the general forums
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Loud pipes...
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 12:35:15 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
That must be it. I'm actually hearing those loud, safe, bikes in Australia, 15000 miles away.
 Just wait until I tell PETA you damn Aussies are deafening the 'roos!

Added to the list of board 'Danger' subjects...
      Loud Pipes save lives
                  Best oil?
                  Liberal/Conservative
                  Helmets
                  Nudity/obscenity in the general forums

Excuse me, Pete, old buddy, but you left off your list of dangerous topics...

Chain vs. Shaft
Naked vs. Faired
Lying down vs. Sitting up

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Loud pipes...
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 12:45:51 PM »
Well, the 'Danger' topic list is kind of keyed to topics that may end up with some irate member threatening to kill everyone, saying bad words, then quitting the board in a 'hissy fit',  (Usually to rejoin 6 months later, acting like nothing ever happened, and quite often after going through the same process at another board  theyjoined after leaving this one in a huff.) :roll:
  We don't have a lot of 'drama queens' here, and I like it that way, but, damn, I like to stir stuff up.
  (Particularily those damn Aussies, who are too far away to come kick my arse!) :beers:

Chain vs Shaft is kind of getting diluted, since we're finally seeing some decent performance from shafties.
   Anal vs Oral vs 'Normal' vs ??
 Is one are we ought to avoid.... :duh:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Loud pipes...
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2005, 01:30:28 PM »
Pete, why the hell would I spend $10 on a louder horn when I can spend hundreds on a pipe!?!?!?   :stickpoke:   Ooops, I used a bad word too!  

In case anyone is interested:

Pitter's views...

Loud pipes are undoubtedly safer
I use Shell Rotella T
I'm a fiscal conservative and a little more moderate on social issues
I think anyone who doesn't wear a helmet all the time is dumb but I'm against "mandatory" anything.
I think nudity and explicit language should be limited to the Clubhouse (but there should be WAY more nudity there).  "Hell", "shit" and "damn" should be perfectly acceptable in any of the forums.  

:lol:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Loud pipes...
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 02:44:58 PM »
Maniac's views...

Loud pipes sound cool. Straight pipes, while they sound cool, are to damned loud.

I used Mobil 1, or have been.

Uh... hell if I know. I defy labeling!

Ditto Pitter's view on the helmets

Ditto Pitter's view on the nudity. Although my definition of 'acceptable nudity' only includes attractive females (Human ones... darned Aussies)

Swearing is fine on here, we're all old enough to get our asses killed on a motorcycle, we can all swear. Just try not to sound like an old sailor.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Runerx

• Board Homesteader!
Loud pipes...
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 04:13:25 PM »
While I don't think an aftermarket pipe does much good for oncoming traffic, I feel a hell of a lot safer in heavy highway traffic, (Unavoidable sometimes). While It may not make me any more visible My Yoshi does warn people that there is a bike near them.Gives em a audible blind spot warning. I do try to keep the noise down as much as I can in the neighborhood. 2500 to 3k RPM gives a nice deep note but not obnoxious.

Dave
DJ - Skin donations to the dirt/pavement gods suck!

Offline ChuckD

• Board Regular!
    • http://Penguinlove.textamerica.com
Loudness is a throttle by product
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 06:33:02 PM »
I have chopped off exhaust (an I mean literally chopped off) on my B6, and it is loud.  Yes at 6k revs and above its freakin' loud but at idle or waddling down the street at 30 mph (as in residential situations)  its not any worse than any other vehicle with aftermarket exhaust.  I happen to agree that the more of the cager's senses I can engage the better chance I have of getting him to look down from his mighty machine and miss my sorry butt. Really do we need Excursions those things burn more gas warming up than I will all day. (sorry I'm no tree hugger but I know what is reasonable and what is not)

Granted I am a young guy and I ride with a younger crowd and the younger you go the higher the loud co-efficient. Stereos, cars, bikes the younger you are the louder these things tend to be. But that doesn't excuse us from civil behavior.  The guys I ride with have harleys and buells as well as sportbikes and metric cruisers. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that just about any bike can do the loud pipe thing. It comes down to the rider to be responsible and all makes and models are afflicted with squidly syndrome.

So guys take it easy on people who choose loud pipes,  or this forum may be littered with threads about how offensive hard luggage is. Just kidding.
Also I don't know that I've heard anyone say, " I started riding because it makes me feel like a good citizen" on the contrary its usually more like the idea of Steve McQueen or Evil Kenevil that inspired us to ride. Sure a childhood fantansy is no reason to bomb around the suburbs pissing off your neighbors, but admidt it deep down we all want to feel like Steve McQueen sometimes.
When in doubt fighter it out!!!

1996 B6 Custom Tank and SV650S tail fairing. Streetfighterization in progress.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Loud pipes...
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 10:49:36 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
I know that Pete (and apparently others) always rolls his eyes at this but I don't understand how being heard can't help you be noticed.  That makes no sense to me.  If I'm stuck between a car and a Jersey barrier and have the choice between the cager hearing me and not... I'm pickin' hearing me!  

Don't get me wrong - the deafening, window-rattling straight pipes are idiotic.  I just don't see how there is this ongoing argument about whether being heard is safer.  It's a no-brainer.

If being heard leads to being seen, then yes, being heard is a Good Thing (tm) - but if all it does is get your heard, what's the point?

Low frequency sound (such as a big V-twin or a thumper) is omnidirectional.
High frequency (such as an inline 4 or most any 2-stroke) is directional.
Low frequency travels longer distances than the same db level of higher freqs.

So, Bubba Badass on his Hawg can be heard a long way off, but Comatose Cager won't be able to tell where he's at and will only know if he's getting closer or further by the change in volume (until he's seen). Even the change in volume may not be enough to tell which direction he's coming towards the cager from. This introduces a new hazard as Comatose starts rubber necking around trying to see what the noise is and where it's coming from.

OTOH, Ricky Roadracer on his crotch rocket can't be heard until he's very close, and usually not until his bike is right next to our friend Mr. Cager - and startles the last meal out of him. CC can hear Ricky just fine - as he disappears into the sunset...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)