Author Topic: What are the restrictions on new motorcycle riders...  (Read 4312 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
What are the restrictions on new motorcycle riders...
« on: March 31, 2005, 06:11:31 AM »
where you live?

We don't have as many restrictions on new riders in the US, as you have in other countries.  
   What do you have to do to get a license where you live?
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
SC
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 06:18:58 AM »
I had to look it up, since I've guessed there were a lot of changes since I started riding in this state!

When I started riding, you could operate a motorcycle of 5 BRAKE hp or less, 24 hours a day, at the age of 15, with a beginners permit.
  (They didn't have motorcycle licenses then.)
   The HP restrictions weren't enforced, and I knew at least one 15 year old with a Kaw 500 triple at the ripe old age of 15!

I checked to see what had changed in 35 years....and here is some of it.

Class M - Motorcycle Beginner's Permit
A motorcycle beginner's permit allows you to practice driving a motorcycle or motor scooter while an experienced licensed driver supervises you.

To get a Class M Beginner's Permit:

You must be at least 15 years old.
You must bring your birth certificate, social security card, proof of residency and insurance information.
If you are under 18 years of age, you must bring your parent or legal guardian with to sign your application.
You must pass the vision and knowledge tests.
Restrictions:

You may drive a motorcycle or motor scooter from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (or 8 p.m. during daylight savings time).
You may not operate a motorcycle or motor scooter at any other time unless a licensed parent or guardian supervises you.
You must have your beginner's permit for 180 days before you can apply for a motorcycle license.
If you are under 18 years of age, you must practice driving with your licensed parent or legal guardian for at least 40 hours, including 10 hours during darkness, before you can apply for your motorcycle license.

It looks like still can ride a bike during daylight hours, 'solo', from 6 am to 6 pm, with a beginners permit, for a minimum of 180 days, before applying for a 'full' license.   I think there are still some restrictions until they reach 17.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 06:42:13 AM »
In Indiana you may operate a two week vehicle on the street from dawn to dusk, if you.
1.  are 15 yoa
2. possess an Indiana ID card
3. wear a helmet
4. do not carry passengers
5. the vehicle must be less that 49cc

Any valid driver may obtain a motorcycle learner's permit which allows you to ride any street legal motorcycle if:
1. you wear a helmet
2. don't carry passengers
3. only ride during daylight hours

A learner's permit is valid for 1 year. During that year you must take the proficiency test or pass an ABATE beginer's class. The permit expires after 1 year and you may renew the permit only 1 time.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 07:49:57 AM »
In NSW Australia you go through the following.  For a bike you have to be at least 16yrs and 9 months old.  For a Car 16yrs. Either way you can't get your provisional licence until you're 17.

Pre Learners Course - 2 half days learning the basics with a skills test at the end - passing this allows you to, believe it or not, ride in Car Parks.

Learners Test - Pass a compter test.

Hold learners permit for min 3 months and you are limited to maximum of 80km/h

Pre Provisional Course - 1 full day learning more about riding.  There is a road ride (tested) and a skills test at the end.

Assuming you pass you now have a provisional licence - stage 1 - a red P plate - limited to 90km/h

Sit another computer test and if you pass go to stage 2 - a green P plate - you are now limited to 100km/r

This takes a min of 2 years.

You now can sit another test to get you full licence.  Assuming you pass you can do 110km/h.

Car drivers don't do the courses - although there is now talk that they will have to do a similar course to bike riders.

During the learner and probationary period you are restricted to a LAM (Learner Approved Motorcycle) These are bikes that have a low power to weight ration and no more than 660cc.  Typical bikes are any 4 stroke 250, GS500, ER500, BMWF650.  Again they are thinking of introducing restrictions for car drivers as well.

Now, all of that goes out the window if you over 30 and are eligable for a NSW Gold Licence (5 years).  All you need to do is the Learners bit - min 7 days, do the pre provisional course (and pass) then you can ride whatever you want - just no pillions for 12 months.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline '?'

• TURBO TYPER!
Bike license
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 12:04:09 PM »
Things have changed a bit since I got my license. I passed my auto test in 1965 and in the car, the tester asked me if I wanted a motorcycle license too. I said "sure." So he checked off the box on the form that said "motorcycle" and bingo, I was licensed! Never ridden one before, never thought about them before but instantly......I was QUALIFIED!

I understand that now you have to take a course and pass a written and road test. But once you get that, there are no restrictions as to engine size.....so a 16 year old kid can then go buy a GSXR1000 and ........................
There's nothing sweeter than the feeling I get leaned over in a long sweeper while the sun shines over fields of wind-swept grasses and trees that bracket me, the bike, and the warm lovely sitting tightly against my back.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Texas Requirements
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 12:51:29 PM »
Fifteen year olds are limited to 250cc but at 16 that is dropped.  More information here courtesy of the Texas Department of Public Safety website.

Motorcycle License/Permit Information/Requirements

1) What is a motorcycle instruction permit and what is the minimum age to obtain one?

A motorcycle instruction permit allows a beginning driver to operate a motorcycle with someone in sight that is 21 years of age or older and holds a valid motorcycle license. The legal driving age in Texas is 15 years of age, no exceptions. Texas Transportation Code 521.222.

2) How do I obtain a motorcycle instruction permit?

In addition to testing, applicants under age 18 must:

Meet the instruction permit requirements.

Present the completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8). Be advised that the MSC must be approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Pay the required fee. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.40, Texas Transportation Code 521.421.

Pass the written and vision exam. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.51, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.52.

Application must include photograph and thumbprints; however, thumbprints are not included on the driver license. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.44, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.45, Texas Transportation Code 521.142.

3) How can I get a license to drive a motorcycle?

In addition to testing, all first time original applicants must visit a Texas Driver License office and present and do the following:

Age 18 and over

Proof of Identity. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.24.

Proof of Social Security Number. (If you do not have a Social Security Number you will need to complete a Social Security Affidavit (DL-13) form.). 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.42, Texas Transportation Code 521.044.

Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance, if you own a vehicle. Texas Transportation Code 521.143.

Complete required forms available at any Texas Driver License office.

Pay the required fee. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.40, Texas Transportation Code 521.421.

Pass the written (road rules, signs and motorcycle), driving* and vision examinations. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.51, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.52, Texas Transportation Code 521.161.

Application must include photograph and thumbprints; however, thumbprints are not included on the driver license. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.44, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.45, Texas Transportation Code 521.142.

*Applicant must provide motorcycle and following vehicle with licensed driver

Under Age 18

Be a minimum of 15 years of age (restricted to only operate a motorcycle that has not more than a 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement). On the 16th birthday of a special restricted Class M license, the department shall remove the 250 cubic centimeter restriction from the license without completion by the holder of an additional motorcycle operator training course.

Proof of Identity, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.24.

Proof of Social Security Number. (If you do not have a Social Security Number you will need to complete a Social Security Affidavit (DL-13) form.). 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.42, Texas Transportation Code 521.044.

Present the completion certificate of Driver Education (DE-964 Classroom). 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.29.

Present completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8).  Be advised that the MSC must be approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Submit Verification of Attendance and Enrollment in school (TEA form GEA-043R93). 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.39.

Obtain parental authorization signature. 37 Texas Administrative code 15.27.

Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance, if you own a vehicle. Texas Transportation Code 521.143.

Complete required forms available at any Texas Driver License office.

Pass the written  (road rules, signs and motorcycle) and vision examinations. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.51, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.52, Texas Transportation Code 521.161.

'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 07:13:19 PM »
Here in Washington State, no 15 year olds and you must have a car license already.

Motorcycle Instruction Permit

When you are learning to operate a motorcycle on the public roadways, you may start with a motorcycle instruction permit. The permit is valid for 90 days. To apply for the motorcycle permit, you must be at least 16 years of age, have a valid Washington State driver license and pass a written test on motorcycle operation.

While learning to ride a motorcycle on a public roadway:

you may not carry passengers;
you may not ride a motorcycle during the hours of darkness

Motorcycle Endorsement

To obtain a motorcycle endorsement, you must pass both a written and a skills test. However, if you have completed an approved rider course, you may bring your completion card to any Licensing Services Office (LSO) within 180 days, and the knowledge and skills test will be waived.

Applicants under 18 years of age are required to satisfactorily complete a Motorcycle Traffic Safety Education course, that is approved by the Department of Licensing, prior to applying for a motorcycle endorsement. Parental permission is required for the course and when applying for the endorsement.

An application fee of $5.00 must be paid prior to taking the written test. The initial motorcycle endorsement fee is $20.00. The renewal fee is $25.00. This is in addition to the regular driver's licensing fee.

Upon satisfying the requirements for both the written and skills tests, you will be issued a motorcycle endorsement to your Washington State driver license. This is valid for all motorcycle engine displacement categories.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 06:15:19 AM »
Victoria Aust
17 yo may get motor car learners permit
at 17 9 months you may sit for a motorcycle learners permit.
2 day course written test and very basic riding skills.
The permit is valid for 12 months and 3 month minimum.
Probationary Licence can be sat for as long as you over 18yo
2 day course written test again basic riding skills test and a ride on the road to see how the rider copes with traffic.
Learner may not ride anything larger than a 260cc
Probationary rider again for the first 12 months may not ride anything bigger than a 260cc and may not carry a pillion. Now if you hold a full Vic licence, you dont need to display a p plate in the first 12 month, but you may not ride anything bigger than a 260cc or carry a pillion. A probationary Licence last for 3 years 1 year of red p plates 2 years of silent p's but 1 single loss of points say goodbye to your licence.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.