Author Topic: Need help  (Read 2456 times)

Offline paretlane

• Board Regular!
Need help
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:50:35 PM »
Hi, I published this on the Bandit 250/400 forum but it occurred to me that others might be able to help.  I'm new to the forum and new to the Bandit 400.  After years of owning more modern bikes (2007 BMW F800, 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620) I finally got tired of watching them depreciate while my riding time dwindled and I bought a 1991 Bandit 400.  It's beautiful, fun to ride and cheap enough that I won't feel guilty looking at it in the garage when I don't have time to ride.  I took it out on a nice 60 degree day, ran for about 10 miles and it died.  I thought I'd run out of gas so switched to reserve and managed to kill my battery trying to re-start it.  After getting a tow home and putting it on the charger, it started right up again on full choke.  I got to the gas station, pushed the choke in, and it died.  I filled it with gas, switched to normal gas tank, pulled the choke out and it started right up.  Got it home, pushed the choke in, and it died again.  Any thoughts of what might be causing this problem?  The previous owner said he didn't have any problems with it and it did work flawlessly for short trips around town for a couple of week after I bought it.  Thanks in advance for any insights.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:56:41 PM »
Could be the air breather for the gas tank has clogged starving the bike of fuel. Next time you ride it and it dies, open the gas tank cap. If you hear a "whoosh" then your tank breather hole is gummed up. Try running the bike with the cap loose. Does the petcock work correctly?

To test try running the bike on "prime" next time it dies to see if maybe the diaphragm that opens the fuel tap is tired/dead. Another way to test is take the tank off the bike, make sure it's on "ON" or "RESERVE" so you don't flow fuel everywhere. Use a turkey baster or rig up some other fuel delivery device and run the bike. Is it fine now? If so then go to your tank and put a cup or something to catch the fuel and put the petcock briefly on "prime" does fuel flow out?

Try these things and get back to us.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:21:06 PM by rider123 »
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Need help
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:11:14 AM »
He fixed it guys please disregard my post.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.