Author Topic: New BMW R1200ST  (Read 8532 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 09:59:54 AM »
BBurton - I apologized in advance!   :lol:  :beers:

Steve - good story about your cars.  That's actually my strategy for my next car - to try and find a good, clean sub-100K 3-series for cheap (and maybe buy a B12 with the savings).   :bigok:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 12:15:28 PM »
I've always liked BMW"s, but they don't have anything currently that I really 'lust' after.

My brother has a recent model 1150 RT.   Just looking at the abundance of model specific modules, and controls for the gadgets, kind of makes me shudder thinking about evendoing simple maintenance and repairs on it.
    I'm sure parts are $$$$$!

The Bandit has ruined me for exotic stuff.    It has  power, it's reliable, and you can buy aftermarket stuff for it without robbing a bank.

There's also not a dealer within 75 miles of me.

Now, if somebody would give me a '74 R90s, that's another story....
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 04:42:37 PM »
AFAIK the newer BMW stuff is complex. My cars use double overhead cam straight six engines with screw & locknut valve adjusters, guess who does the tune ups. I use an independent shop for repairs that I don't do myself (like installing a fresh driveline during monsoon season (I work in the driveway) I haven't set foot in a BMW dealership except to go oogle and sit on one of the new "s" models, I refused the test drive I was offered. Last time I did that I bought the damn thing.

Parts $$$? Again owners will help each other find resources. I just did the front brakes, $45 each for new Ate rotors (Ate is a BMW OEM supplier) and $38 for the pad set for both sides. Mechanical coolness - the front calipers on the 7 are 4 pot calipers.

These are the same qualities that endear me to the Bandit. It is simple enough that a person can maintain it in the driveway between rain squalls, reliable enough that I don't care where the shop is, has neat bits and parts on it, is fast and powerful enough to scare hell out of me, comfortable enough to drain a few tanks in one day, and has earned a customer support base of enthusiasts willing to share the accumulated knowledge.

Steve

The DL1000 V-Strom is more powerful and will outrun a new GS1200
  :roll:
Primer Grey b12S

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2005, 05:36:29 PM »
Sorry Steve, guess I was mistaken..... The new GS1200 has 100 claimed hp while the DL1000 has 98hp. :roll:  Guys on the V-Strom board say the big Strom WILL run easily with a GS1200 and with a smaller pricetag and engine. Sure, there is the wonderful BMW fit and finish and all it's bling bling brakes and suspension, and the mystique of actually being the owner of one. Just can't justify the price "same feelings that I have for Harley as well". Take a Bandit put a little money in it, and it's hard to beat.... Take a V-Strom, put a little money in it and I'm pretty confident that it probably won't get beat in its class. :grin:
2005 " All Black" DL1000 V-Strom
"CAUTION", front wheel may rise under hard acceleration!

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2005, 06:01:24 PM »
Now there is where I see a world of difference. I have owned a 1200 Evo Sportster and a Buell Cyclone. Reliability was very poor in both cases. Performance? I used to love it when someone on a thundering HD would try to give the /s a run, never saw one keep up. Beemers are built to be ridden, not photographed.

I'm really glad that you are in love with your new bike! I'm curious to know how you feel after performing your first tune up. The b12 is fairly easy to work on ya know.

The thing that seemed oddest about your saying the V will "outrun" the Bandit is the aerodynamics not the power. The b12 really squats down into the road at high speeds, how will the taller fairing do?

Honest questions.. and how do your brakes compare? I absolutely love the brakes on my bike, I have goosed 'em up a bit though.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2005, 08:20:25 PM »
I think that I see the problem now.... did you think that I said that the Strom will outrun the B12? If that is the case.. Hell No!!! Don't get me wrong, the Big Strom is plenty quick "engine is race bred ya know!" kinda like the big Bandit. :grin: I was comparing the Strom to the Beamers only..."except the new K1200s which is not of this earth!" The brakes are really good, I rate them up there with the B12, except I'll have to give the Strom the advantage in the rear brake department. Front brakes are tokico, rear brake is nissin. Rear brake power is pretty impressive. As far as handling is concerned, I rode my B12 pretty hard and I will say that I believe I can ride faster in twists and turns on the Strom than I ever could on the Bandit. I also enjoyed riding through a field recently on my in-laws property and several backroads. :motorsmile: Top end is limited to around 120mph, but easily fixed when you take out the secondary butterflies which restricts speed and redline in 4th and 5th. Bandits and Stroms are both underated bikes in my opinion, the motorcycle mags do nothing but gawk and slobber about the high price exotic bikes. They always pick bikes apart and talk about their shortcomings or downfalls. As we all know, the best bike is the one that you like. We live and ride in the real world, I try really hard not to pick apart bikes, but rather to identify what they do well. Screw all the other BS!!

PS: As far as maintenance goes, I think that some parts will be harder to service. I will give a big thumbs up to oil and filter changes. No big header set to contend with! Once the FI issues are resolved and tweaked, there really doesn't seem to be much maintenance.

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 03:41:46 PM »
Quote from: "BBurton"
Acura, Lexus and Infinity are truly amazing car companies that are really putting a thorn in the European luxury and high performance car companies.

Yes, they are know as Honda, Toyota and Nissan. :blahblah:  :roll:
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 03:48:56 PM »
I think the biggest issue with the big Strom is the skinny front wheel/tire.  You can have all the brakes in the world, but is your suspension is too soft and front tire too small, it's just physics at that point.
It also has a higher center of gravity.

It's just too apples and oranges to compare to a B12.  Now I test rode a KTM950 Adventure last year and that was a hoot!  Better comparison to the V-Strom.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline archer

• New user!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2005, 06:59:43 PM »
its an amazing looking thing. the new beamers are absolutly crazy like.

I had to go on a huge long car trip as a passenger because I broke my bandits brake disk and half the country away from where I live one of these pulled up and stopped outside the pub across the street.

i had to walk across the road and look at it. almost in tears thinking of my bike hundred of miles away in a garage.

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2005, 07:49:38 PM »
Yes, they are know as Honda, Toyota and Nissan.

Really... I didn't know that!!! :stickpoke:  :duh:

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2005, 07:55:02 PM »
I think the biggest issue with the big Strom is the skinny front wheel/tire. You can have all the brakes in the world, but is your suspension is too soft and front tire too small, it's just physics at that point.

Front tire sure doesn't seem to slow me down in the corners, and as far as the suspension goes, it is a better stock setup than the Bandits. Not that I am gonna keep it stock! :lol:

Offline android

• New user!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2005, 03:08:16 PM »
Not a big fan of the BMW mostly cause of price and dealer snootiness factor. Also Ive heard they have a tendency to blame the riders for probs (like check engine light) on new bikes.

Now anyone seen the new Triumph Sprint ST 1050? Its awesome 120hp speed triple with lots of torque, comfy sport touring posture and priced at $10,500. Id get one if I didnt have to go more in debt but love my Bandit12s...

heres a pic of the beauty...
http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/792.aspx
green 2003 b12s

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
New BMW R1200ST
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 12:16:15 AM »
The new Sprint ST is SWEET!!!!