Author Topic: SUZUKI CAVALCADE  (Read 7253 times)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« on: July 29, 2006, 08:42:17 AM »
Has anyone heard much about these Gold Wing wannabes?

One of the guys I know has just picked up an '86 model.  Up until today I'd only ever seen them once or twice in magazines.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 07:35:41 AM »
Nope, the last thing I saw that was anything near a leadwing from suzuki, was the old GK1100E what was just a GS1100 shaftie with tour stuff all over, actually they where a pretty good old bus, before getting the little lady up the duff, I looked at one for them long haul interstate rides. Fairing :shock: topbox and panniers. Stereo :boohoo: thank god I got her up the duff, what the hell was I thinking, it could have maybe lead to looking at a HD road king :stickpoke:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:20:24 AM »
Pretty decent machines. Too bad it wasn't a better sales success for Suzuki. Might have done better if it had come out within a couple of years of the original Gold Wing, but by the time Suzuki reacted, the GW already had a huge and faithful following. Same thing happened to Yamaha's original Venture, so they put it in cruiser clothes. One of my co-workers had a Cavalcade and loved it (maybe still does, but he got laid off a few years ago and haven't heard from him since). The drawback would be it's limited production run could mean parts, if needed, could be a challenge. (I suppose that's true for a lot of the old Japanese bikes though.) Same basic motor as the Madura 1200 V4 cruiser that was a sales flop due to dorky styling.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline theroamr

• Board Homesteader!
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 05:30:03 PM »
My friend from a few years ago said nothing but good things about his Yamaha Venture. Per him "has tons of power".
We don't need more sensitivity training, we need DE-sensitivity training. Too many people with skin so thin you can see their quivering, sensitive little bones just waiting to be offended.

Learn to take a punch!!!

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 08:54:50 PM »
Those are sweet bikes.  They have a loyal following and they show up in pretty decent condition quite often on Cycle Trader or eBay.  Personally, I like them better than the Goldwings of the '80s.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 09:28:36 PM »
Going from 1980's memory when I subscribed to all the cycle mags....

The Suzuki would generally come up 3rd in reviews behind the Honda Goldwing (1) & Yamaha Venture. (2)

Kawasaki always came in 4th.

I always thought the Suzuki looked liked the best Goldwing contender.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 03:01:11 AM »
Not too long ago one of the rags was testing the current Star Venture cruiser bagger and ran a little sidebar that was a partial reprint from back in the day on the original Venture and it's shootout with the Wing and a BMW tourer of the day... the Yammie dusted both of them in performance (that's a V-Max motor, detuned a little, under the fairings) and they had picked the Yamaha as the overall winner. I was sad that Yamaha chose to reformat the Venture into a cruiser instead of hanging with a GW competitor.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline banditII

• Board Homesteader!
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 11:15:51 AM »
I have a friend that used to own a Cavalcade and rode it a lot of miles.  He really liked it.  Another thing that I think hurt to cavalcade in addition to what Paul said was that it came out in the eighties and that was a real bad time for motorcycle sales in general.  According to my friend, that Cavalcade had lots of bells and whistles including a push button adjustment for the seats.  Personally, I think the back seats of bikes like that and the Goldwings are what sell them.  They are bought so the wife can stay comfortable while riding double.
Riding motorcycles..........and loving it! :-)

Warren

Offline FlyingTurtle1

• Board Homesteader!
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 12:06:33 AM »
The Cav was a very nice ride but you all are right about parts probably not a lot available. Thats the reason I let my '86 Venture go. Motor parts you can still get but BODY parts, not so much. The first gen Venture was the bike of the day even if the mags played it behind the Wing. I had 2('83&'86) 100K between the 2 of them. Sold my '86 to get my Bandit! I'll always think fondly of the Ventures and the Bandit.....right up until I swing my leg over the FJR :motorsmile: Then I don't miss 'em so much.....
Terry Humphreys...No longer a Bandit owner
'06 FJR..stock for the moment....

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 02:32:03 PM »
Quote from: FlyingTurtle1
I'll always think fondly of the Ventures and the Bandit.....right up until I swing my leg over the FJR :motorsmile: Then I don't miss 'em so much.....

Probably how I'll feel if I ever swing my leg over the ST1300!  :motorsmile:

Offline FlyingTurtle1

• Board Homesteader!
SUZUKI CAVALCADE
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 11:11:48 PM »
Angel, Having ridden both I'd have to say your probably right!! :toocool: The ST is a little heavier and a little less motor but it'll haul the mail with a nice ride. My buddy and I went to the The Moto GP race last year and this was his first LONG trip he and the bike held up really well. We did have to put tires on the bike in Calli but the bike is an '03 and was due.
Terry Humphreys...No longer a Bandit owner
'06 FJR..stock for the moment....