Author Topic: Oil choice for Bandit 1200-Finally found it  (Read 33453 times)

Offline ATC'er

• Board Homesteader!
Oil choice for Bandit 1200-Finally found it
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2006, 05:32:22 PM »
Oil?  Where's it supposed to go?
Chuck
2005 Bandit 1200S

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2006, 08:03:07 PM »
You guys use oil?? When did this start happening? No one tells me anything.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Maximus

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2006, 08:25:39 PM »
I use a mixture of bacon fat, garlic, Tuscan olive oil, and butter.  Makes the shrimp sautee really nicely. :stickpoke:

Oh, in the bike I'm running Castrol Syntec 10W40.  NO, it is not "energy conserving."  NO, it does not make it shift funny.  Oh yeah, a K&N filter.

Max

Offline ATC'er

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2006, 10:22:45 PM »
Hey, Maximus, what are you smoking?  You're supposed to use white wine!  :stickpoke:
Chuck
2005 Bandit 1200S

Offline texasbandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2006, 11:53:10 PM »
Just stumbled on this topic.  Boy was I wrong, I always thought you only used olive oil in Ducatis?
1997 GSF1200S  (The tinkerbike)
2003 FZ1 Bumblebee (Almost stock)

Censorship causes Blindness

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2006, 06:22:25 AM »
I really love Amsoil.  Only problem is its not easily buyable, not sold everywhere, and you almost alwyas have to order it.

It honestly has kept the engine on my bandit and previous bike running a little cooler. I think its a little more expensive than mobile 1, but that extra 80 cents a quart or whatever is worth it to me.

I kill my machine, blaze everywhere and ride at least 4 days a week average over a year( this includes the really cold winter). its just worth the extra monmey for security I guess.

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »
Well, an oil thread is always full of great opinions and lotsa empirical feedback. This is especially pertinent for me as my first service will be coming up fairly soon for my '06 B12S.
My buddy who owned a '00 B12S for 4 years was a big Amsoil fan but....it only got the Amsoil AFTER it was broken in. He said the breaking-in period actually took up to about 3K miles. Up to that point he ran 10W40 dino oil and was quite happy with shifting, consumption, etc.
I've run Pennzoil 10W40 dino oil in my previous street machines (all were used bikes with various mileages) and been quite happy with it but Mobil 1 has been in the back of my mind if I ever got a new bike. I've got part of a case of Pennzoil still left from servicing the GS so I think I'll use that for the first 2 changes and see how it goes. Synthetics WILL give you that extra edge in protection in borderline lubrication situations that can mean the difference between a munched motor and no problem at all.
Food for thought.....and no pun intended.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2006, 12:26:08 PM »
Not to start another "Oil War"...

But there are people who believe that Amsoil caused (or was at least in part responsible) for the pitting of the cam lobes on Bandits.  

Do a search.

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2006, 01:34:05 PM »
normally i use 10w40, normal stuff.. dunno but it's good.
I once filled a bit with 5w40 to make it a bit thinner, but now oil consumption is high.. my guess is the first driver really babied it  :sad: at least it still has compression!
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2006, 10:12:27 PM »
Look up Mobil Delvac 1300 Super. You may just notice that it has the best additive package in the business since it has a diesel rating.

You don't need synthetics on a bike with an oil cooler. Very little benefit in the Bandit because the lighter fractions in the oil won't burn off to form sludge. Save your money.

Energy conserving oils are thinner, which is why there's lower rotating losses in an engine using these light oils. They also don't protect engine parts as well because they contain less zinc.  Choose wisely!

Hey, why isn't anyone using toilet-paper oil filters on their bikes? I'm serious: I had one that I transferred from car to car because it actually cleaned the oil, never mind just taking out the big rocks. And, wouldn't you like a 10-20% improvement in gas mileage?  T.P. oil filters were used on many VW dune buggies running under the extreme conditions in Baja Mexico (alkaline dust).  Those who didn't use them didn't finish.  Check out old issues of "Hot VW's" from about 40 years ago.  (Yeh, they had cars back then).

Herb

Quote from: rider123
Oh no! An oil topic!!

If you don't fell like experimenting and you like to change your oil at normal intervals. Using Castrol GTX 10-40 will be fine for years and years. HOwever if you like to experiment a bit just make sure it doesn't say "energy conserving" on the back and you'll be ok. Alot of people like Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic, you can change the oil in longer intervals and it holds up better and allows smoother shifting.

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2006, 10:15:31 PM »
Glad you mentioned Shell Rotella. It's second on the list of excellent oils, right behind Mobil Delvac 1300 Super. Wal-Mart carries it too.

Herb

Quote from: txbanditrydr
Shell Rotella 15w40 dino... save your hard earned money.   :stickpoke:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2006, 02:16:37 PM »
Ok I'm wading in on this too (again) The Bandit being an air oil cooled eng needs a good oil that gets changed on a reg bases. If you are racing with Zemski or Duhamel use the syn, if not we all take a while to put the miles on that make the hi $ stuff worth it. (Syn) Shell Rotella T 15-40 12 TBN is all that it needs! We used this @ work (750+ pcs of concrete etc deliv equip, it was too good! additives were still all there after the 350 hrs we needed to bring em in for PM so we could go with a lower 10 TBN Rimula) Rotella T 15-40 for the Bandit But change it often like every 1k to 1500 miles. Filter is as important I r&r it every 3k. 40k's on the Bandit and it looked better than new inside, where i saw anyway. The strange thing is on my Busa all says got to go syn!! BS the temp is controlled better with liquid cooling and the tolerances are no tighter??  :monkeymoon:  :beers:  :beers:  :motorsmile:

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/product_list.php?subcatid=2

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2006, 02:06:09 AM »
"gyrogearcrunch" Look up Mobil Delvac 1300 Super. You may just notice that it has the best additive package in the business since it has a diesel rating.

You don't need synthetics on a bike with an oil cooler. Very little benefit in the Bandit because the lighter fractions in the oil won't burn off to form sludge. Save your money.

Energy conserving oils are thinner, which is why there's lower rotating losses in an engine using these light oils. They also don't protect engine parts as well because they contain less zinc.  Choose wisely!

Hey, why isn't anyone using toilet-paper oil filters on their bikes? I'm serious: I had one that I transferred from car to car because it actually cleaned the oil, never mind just taking out the big rocks. And, wouldn't you like a 10-20% improvement in gas mileage?  T.P. oil filters were used on many VW dune buggies running under the extreme conditions in Baja Mexico (alkaline dust).  Those who didn't use them didn't finish.  Check out old issues of "Hot VW's" from about 40 years ago.  (Yeh, they had cars back then).

Herb

"rider123" Oh no! An oil topic!!

If you don't fell like experimenting and you like to change your oil at normal intervals. Using Castrol GTX 10-40 will be fine for years and years. HOwever if you like to experiment a bit just make sure it doesn't say "energy conserving" on the back and you'll be ok. Alot of people like Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic, you can change the oil in longer intervals and it holds up better and allows smoother shifting.

I USE VALVOLINE 20-50 4-STROKE MOTORCYCLE OIL AND I ALWAYS CHANGE THE OIL FILTER WHEN I CHANGE THE OIL.....

I CHANGE MY OIL EVERY 3,000 MILES MOST OF THE YEAR.....AND EVERY 3 MONTHS DURING THE SNOWY MONTHS, WHEN I CAN'T GET IN MY 1,000 TO 2,000 MILES PER MONTH.....
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline Silverstreak

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 11:32:34 PM »
Did someone say cold winters in Birmingham, AL? Ha! You don't know cold til you've been to Moose Factory.
Do or do not, there is no try.  
-Yoda

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2006, 12:45:14 AM »
[quote="GETFURIOUS]I USE VALVOLINE 20-50 4-STROKE MOTORCYCLE OIL AND [/color]I ALWAYS CHANGE THE OIL FILTER WHEN I CHANGE THE OIL[/quote]

Valvoline M/C oil is the absolute worst crap I've ever put in a motor vehicle.  

Did I make myself clear without caps?   :wink: