Author Topic: racing in 600... am I insane or what? opinions wanted  (Read 6509 times)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
racing in 600... am I insane or what? opinions wanted
« on: August 10, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
Ever since my trackschool this year all I've been able to think about is racing. I never thought it would financially come together enough for me but it's looking like it just might. As I write this I'm looking at the 'racebike' jar we've started which is slowly filling up.
Since locally all fields other than the Amateur 600 are very skinny I'm thinking of doing that. Never mind that I haven't ridden a modern supersport bike at anywhere near it's limit...EVER. I figure if I can drop my laptimes down to where the back of the field is I'll race otherwise I'll just do trackdays to get better.
So far I've only had the EX500 on the track on which I've managed to make improvements every time out. I still have a long way to go but it's encouraging to get faster.
So while looking out for a possible track worthy candidate for next year I'm not considering a 03 R6 has all the usual done to it, and is in great shape without a whole lot of use. Any opinions on this era of R6?
Any general thoughts or considerations?

'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: racing in 600... am I insane or what? opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:04:45 PM »
I don't have any first-hand racing experience but from the track day folks I've talked to and followed on other boards, the modern 600 amateur class is considered the "meatgrinder" class. Lots and lots of competition and a lot of guys (and girls) who think they're the next Rossi.  I'm not sure what you're options are up there but when I had the F3, I wished I had the time and the cash to give whichever veteran class it fit a go.  It was apparently a lot more sane and good natured - still very competitive but with folks who were still interested in getting back to work on Monday instead of impressing the nonexistent Repsol rep in the stands.  Does that make sense?

On the bike, I don't know about that particular vintage but my good friend tracked an 05 R6 and absolutely loved it.  Any of the somewhat modern supersports in good shape with the appropriate mods are good bikes.  Its more rider than anything else.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:03:07 AM »
>>Never mind that I haven't ridden a modern supersport bike at anywhere near it's limit...EVER.<<

If it's within your budget, you might want to check out Kieth Code's course. I was gong to take one myself before winding up unemployed. :sad: It's around $2000 US.
http://www.superbikeschool.com/

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »
I know the 600 class is known as a meatgrinder. I would have to say that locally while it's full I don't think it's quite as crazy, most of the guys I've talked to always talk about making it to work Monday morning. The sad truth is that while they HAVE a SV650 class here there are 0 bikes in it. Sportsman 1 (which is 91 and earlier) sometimes only fields 4-5 bikes which is the amateur and pro field combined. Sportsman 2 (99 and earlier) not enough bikes to run their own race. I'd like to be part of an actual 'grid' so to speak. I COULD still race the old EX500... some new tires and the correct sprocket would help a lot. Depending on who shows for the sportsman 1 race I'd already have a shot at not being last without those changes. But I don't really care about not being last. I've noticed that on the track I improve much more if I'm within sight of other riders. And for me lets face it I'm not looking to impress that factory rep and get a factory ride. I just want to improve my riding, drop my times and have some fun in the process.
And man do I WISH we had something like Keith Codes school! Even though that is my entire bike budget! :banghead: I know in time I'll figure out the newer bikes, its just that I come from a biking history of gs400, gpz550, bandit 1200 which while new requires a totally different style than a supersport oriented machine. I've ridden new bikes but they've never been mine so it's always with an extra bit of caution. If I can touch a knee on the ex, it should be a relief to know I don't have to climb as far off a newer bike!
Glad to hear the 05 R6 worked out well for him, the 03 is almost identical. Guess I'll just have to see and figure out if it will work out.
I'll be sure to keep you posted on my track antics. For those of you who have not tried it, let me say again, you should! It's just an amazing amount of fun.

'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:59:24 AM »
They have a SV650 class with NO ONE?  I assume if you entered in that, they'd put you out with a few of the other small classes, like the Sportsman 1 & 2.  You'd still get some experience dicing it up with others, so you're not by yourself, but you're not out there with a large mass of ridiers like the current 600 class.

And if no one's in the SV class, you'd always get to come home with a trophy!  :trustme: :winner: <-- Always wanted an excuse to use that 'con...  :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:13:17 PM »
hee hee ya good trophy! Well I don't think the sportsman 1 guys would be too keen on having an SV in their class. But maybe. And when I say the am 600 field is full I mean liked 15 riders, not full full, but just an actual grid.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 03:48:10 PM »
  The fast riders in the 600 class FLY. I would have to agree with the SV650. You can find one race ready for a desent price. A 1st Generation for under 3K a little more for the 2nd generation. Lots of parts avalibe too. A more broad band of rider experience,can ride in the lt class along with a couple other classes. Cheap to keep in tires compaired to the 600s. And a good rider can put out some FAST lapXs.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »
I'll throw my .02$ in since I usually get thrown into the "somewhat fast" group on a trackday with the 400.

I'd concentrate more on lines, braking and cornerspeed than I would anything else. For that, your EX is perfect because it's all about momentum. Same goes for the SV. I'd spend money on good tires, suspension work and brakes and shame people on the "lesser" bike.

Everything on a 600 supersport be it R6, GSXR, CBR is more. More brakes, more engine, more capable chassis. Until your instructors can tell you you're outriding your bike, I wouldn't worry about it. Track time is key and owning a bike where parts are prolific also helps (SV and EX included).

Other thing you'll find is that racing is expensive. Factor in consumables like tires, fluids even gas/lodging/transport to get to the track and it gets pricey fast. I know my buddies who have race numbered SV1ks have at least 3k into their suspension not to mention hundreds in tires (with wets always mounted and ready to go). They've got a near full-shop in their trailers and gennies for tire warmers. Its impressive and they still have to think about going to work on Monday.

I'd also second attending a more race-oriented track school using their bikes like CSS and see if it's for you. There you'll get first hand instruction and a well maintained bike and you can make the decision from there. It may blow your budget but I think if the thought is in your head, you'd be doing yourself a favor in taking the class.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 08:59:42 AM »
  That was a very good 2 cents. :thumb:

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 12:03:18 PM »
thanks for the the opinions guys I do find it super helpful.
I'm afraid it's hard for me to explain just how limited local racing is. SV650 like I said has NOONE save for the one day a year that the Canadian series visits. So an SV650 is out. The next roadracing track is several hours drive away, the next bigger track (big enough to make it on the parts canada series) is 13 hours drive or so. For trackdays only I would probably keep the EX or just get a SV. For racing however I truly don't think its realistic. The great thing about living in the middle of nowhere is that racing is cheap, not much more than trackdays. When we have a trackday it's also not just a trackday, it's the test and tune leading in to the weekend. Which means that the fast group it generally the pro superbike, 600 etc. and a few of the fast amateurs. The middle group covers the rest of the amateurs (superbike, 600, thunder, vintage, sportsman etc.) and trackday riders like me. Its not your usual trackday, I get the smell of racefuel and a good peek at some amateur 600 numbers every trackday. Other than superbike and 600 none of the fields are split amateur and pro rather it's all run as one race.
If I wanted to attend a 'more race oriented school' which truly isn't fair to the guys here because they put on a great school which is in all but the beginner group a race oriented affair. However IF I wanted to go I would be flying somewhere to attend one. As much as I'd like to I don't think this is happening. It just isn't.
As for outriding the bike, I have heard comments like that. I need better tires on the EX at the very least, and an upgraded suspension (or MORE upgraded suspension it's nowhere near stock now).
So for the time being crazy or not. I'll give the 600 a swing. I'll try it the next and last trackday in september, see how it feels and how the chips fall in to place. Hopefully it will be a nice consistent drop in times while always keeping it rubber side down.
Lots of the local guys are supportive, and a few of us who plan to start AM600 next year are thinking we will have someone to ride with. Ironically the exact same people I ride with on the EX right now.

'03 R6 trackbike

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:06:32 PM »
  The end of the season will be coming quicker than we like,(much too quick for me anyway) And you might find a good deal on a bike race ready. There have been a couple in my area already on the Fasttrax site. ( a gs 500 that does well in the lt wt., and a f4 600 honda that needs work) I know thats too far out of your way, but keep your eyes open and ask around at the org. that you ride with.
  Either that, or a bike thats been damaged on the road that you can make one out of. But I think it may be cheaper to find one already done up.

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 12:05:40 PM »
well am the owner of a 03 R6 now, here it goes. I'm super excited for the next (and last of the year) trackday. The R6 is a whole new world! A final decision to race will probably be made next spring. For the time being I'm hoping to keep it rubber side down at the last trackday. And then wait agonizingly for spring to come.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 06:49:27 AM »
 :congrats:  How about some pics?

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
    • Wudy.co.uk Freelance Web Development
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 12:38:48 PM »