Author Topic: steamin' in the rain  (Read 3792 times)

Offline req

• Board Regular!
steamin' in the rain
« on: November 13, 2005, 09:29:41 PM »
hey everyone,

I know this is an obvious question, but it'll make me feel a lot better.  When I ride my Bandit (600S) in the rainy wet Pacific Northwest, I always see a whole lot of steam comin' off the front end of the engine / header / radiator at a stoplight.  Never anything in the dry, so I hadn't worried about it, assumed it was just rainwater boiling off the header and radiator, but I don't generally see this from others' bikes.  'course, they're faired and my Bandit ain't.

Should I worry, or does this happen to all of us?

Thanks!

~Req

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 11:01:31 PM »
Yep, your initial assessment is correct!  :grin:

It's just the water evaporating off the header/cylinder block, no big deal.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 02:04:33 AM »
Yup, as a B12 rider in the great Pacific Northwet (sic), I can attest this is normal.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 05:46:07 AM »
It just like watercooling!!!  :grin:
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 11:14:31 AM »
A fender extender from Dale Walker Holeshot Products will minimize the spray onto the exhaust headers.  

When you mount it be sure to use rubber washers and drill the holes through the fender large enough to clear the screws.  Let the screws bite into the extender after passing through the fender -- this will minimize cracking the fender.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 08:54:25 PM »
I bonded my fenda extenda on... didn't want screws in it.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline req

• Board Regular!
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 11:00:26 PM »
excellent, I'll stop worrying about it then.  thanks everyone.

~R

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 04:34:26 AM »
:shock:

Same problem here. Road slop not only steams the engine, but the the headers are coated with road goo after riding. The rear top bag has mud pasted on its underside. I'm sure the radiator is getting cruded up.

Why are fenders NOT fenders anyway.... they aren't supposed to mini skirts!
I did extenders once before on a Kawasaki. I even had to make a teensie mud/oil flap after striping my girlfriend of the day. She had a white jacket on, but had a skunk stripe up the middle afterwards, (chain oil of the day wasn't very good,... but it still is no hell).

You guys are right about rubber mounting and clearance. It gets a hell of a lot worse is you take your beasty up to full song/vibration/wind buffeting.
 :roll:
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 01:26:48 PM »
I think the naked Bandits have a fender extension on the rear that is NOT there on the faired versions.  It could probably be bolted on for better rear protection.

I have Dale Walker's Holeshot Performance front fender extender and it works quite well to keep the throw off minimal onto the headers.

If you install one I recommend drilling oversize holes in the fender to prevent cracking.  The supplied screws thread into the extender for a good grip -- I used rubber washers too with the second fender!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 01:30:23 PM »
I've been thinking about buying a Fenda-Extenda for mine... but I really don't want to drill holes in the fender.

It would be nice to keep the nice shiny black front of the engine a little cleaner since it's the hardest part of the bike to wash.  Why they couldn't have made the fender 4" or so longer is beyond me.

Has anyone with a Fenda-Extenda had luck with just using the adhesive strips to keep it on  - and not used the screws?  Or maybe adding a little additional adhesive for good measure?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 07:09:11 PM »
Quote from: "PaulVS"
Has anyone with a Fenda-Extenda had luck with just using the adhesive strips to keep it on  - and not used the screws?  Or maybe adding a little additional adhesive for good measure?

Didn't you see my post?  :duh:  :grin:

Quote from: "Red01"
I bonded my fenda extenda on... didn't want screws in it.

It's been on there for >30K miles. I used some stuff that's not readily available to the public, but you could use any bonding agent that's safe for plastics, like JB Weld. I didn't use those little doubleback tape strips either, I wouldn't trust them to hold it on by themself, especially in the wet. I believe the reason they're included is to hold it in place to install the screws.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 07:32:29 PM »
Ooops... must be my A.D.D. kickin' in.  :duh:

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 08:47:59 PM »
I always use screws to attach the extender.  Did it on three bikes now.  Its no biggie and it will stay put that way.  The last time I did it, I painted the screw heads black and it looks great.

I don't see what the big deal is.  Once you put it on you will never take it off anyway, even if you end up selling the bike.  If you epoxy the sucker on there it will probably crack the fender if you ever have to take it off.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
steamin' in the rain
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 09:19:35 PM »
I didn't want the look of screws on the fender and I didn't want them sticking thru to the tire side where they'd collect mud. (I guess the second part isn't valid if the screws are so short they don't go all the way thru, but the screws that came with mine were long enough to go thru.)

Like you just said, I'm not gonna take it off, even if I sell the bike, so I don't need to worry about cracking the fender trying to take it off.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)