Author Topic: Group ride gone VERY bad!  (Read 3676 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Group ride gone VERY bad!
« on: October 25, 2005, 04:06:52 PM »
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline B12NScott

• Board Homesteader!
Look out
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 04:34:27 PM »
Ouch.........
2K B-12S
2K5 DRZ 400s Dirt/SM

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:42:36 PM »
Another reason to never ride with more than 6-8 people.

We saw something like this back at BOSS 1 on a much smaller scale.  There was a lady in the oncoming lane waiting to turn left as we went by.  Crest the hill and there were a number of Busas and such that flew past, gave us a wave, crested the hill and I heard it happen.  CRUNCH!
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 05:21:30 PM »
 "Even though this years  'Swedish Sportbike Riders for Motorcycle Safety' annual ride had a large turnout, organizers are uncertain if they'll hold the ride next year...."

What the hell happened?   What it looks like to me is traffic up front, slowed down or stopped, and people behind weren't paying attention, and plowed into them.

It's also possible the photographer who took these pictures was positioned where he was so he could get pictures of the group ride, somebody was distracted by him...maybe doing a wheelie.....and the crashes started. :duh:  :shock:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline vadim

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 06:16:56 PM »
These pictures are from Moscow, Russia.  As for the cause, half of them were probably piss drunk.  They say that there are two evils in Russia.  The fools and the roads.  This looks like a dangerous combination of the former riding on the latter.  Ouch...
'01 600s

Offline vadim

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 06:37:17 PM »
I found a related news article.  Apparently, this happened at an annual "end of season" biker parade in Moscow.  The event gathered about 2000 motorcycles this year.  According to the police one of the bikes lost control, which caused the string of crashes.  15 motorcycles were involved, 12 people had injuries, one is in coma.  Police suspect that the comrade that caused the crash was doing "inappropriate stunts".  It's unfortunate that all the other people had to suffer.
'01 600s

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 08:06:26 PM »
I have to say, if only 15 bikes went down in that mess, they did pretty good!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 08:23:09 PM »
I can crash on my own.  

I don't need help.

Offline vadim

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 09:30:35 PM »
Some additional info: the formation was supposed to ride at 40km/h (25m/h), but some of the guys, apparently under the influence, would accelerate to 100km/h (60m/h) on that stretch of the road.  One of them lost control during the stunt and hit another motorcycle.  The two bikes crashed and a few more piled up on top of them.  The damaged bikes spilled oil, making it even more difficult for others to stop/maneuver.  As a result, 15 bikes went down.  12 guys had injuries, 7 ended up in a hostpital, four are in serious condition and one is in critical conditon...  

PeteSC gets kudos for correctly identifying the cause of the pile-up as a stunt.
'01 600s

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 11:04:52 PM »
Just a lucky guess, Vadim.  You can't get that many bikes together without somebody acting stupid! :duh:
   Oh well, can't snicker too much, due to all the accidents we have here during poker runs!
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Landry

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 10:10:14 AM »
That one guy bails over the wall.  What a puss!!   :grin:

I ride alone.
Ever noticed that they don't make helmets out of bone? There's a reason.

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2005, 03:07:44 PM »
Did you notice the guys in the second pic who is flying through the air upside down.  All I could make out were his tennis shoes. :duh:
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline Landry

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2005, 04:31:40 PM »
Quote from: "B12Teuton"
Did you notice the guys in the second pic who is flying through the air upside down.  All I could make out were his tennis shoes. :duh:

LOL!!   (OL!!!!)   :grin:

That's some funny shit, right there!!  :grin:
Ever noticed that they don't make helmets out of bone? There's a reason.

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 08:02:44 PM »
My parents currently live in Moscow just off Red Square. My mother said the russians are crazier than we are when it comes to doing stupid stunts. They have been there a little over a year and personally witnessed 3 motorcycle wrecks..one of witch was fatal for the rider and paasenger. 3 may not seem like many but, think about how many wrecks you have seen involving bikes while driving your cage. I've only seen one my whole life.
  I guess the vodka consumption may have the tequilla effect and they drink vodka like we drink beer.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e