Author Topic: Suzuki TL 1000 Vs. Bandit 1200's --->  (Read 5966 times)

Offline bikrpitts

• Board Regular!
Suzuki TL 1000 Vs. Bandit 1200's --->
« on: April 09, 2006, 09:36:22 PM »
A few years ago, some friends and I went out for a fast ride through some Florida fast sweepers and long stretches of fast roads.  My buddy and I were riding Bandit 1200's and brought along someone who'd been asking to ride with us for a while.  At the time of our ride, we told our guest to either wait up for us  if he was faster than us or we'd wait up for him but the rule was not to ride over anyone's ability.

Unfortunately, our guest riding the TL 1000 lasted about 15 minutes into the ride and took a hair raising spill going through a wide sweeper.  Fortunately, he was wearing full leathers, a good helmet, and boots and skidded off into some nice soft grass without any harm to himself but nearly totalling the bike.

I dug up this old web page I put together with some photos you might all find interesting:

http://rcairplane.onlinestoragesolution.com/BikeCrashWeb/index.htm

Offline KX5000

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 11:22:03 PM »
At least it was just a TL, and no Bandits were harmed in this post. :beers:
3 Kids
2 Dogs
1 Wife
NO problem!(yeah right!!)

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 11:54:45 PM »
a. Riding with new peeps is always a risk
b. Hearing anyone mention "Yeah, you guys are going fast... I'm pushing to keep up" is a sure sign that dude is going down.

This guy was OK... luckily... :)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:20:28 AM »
Ok where were those roads with twists? :banana:  :banana:

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 07:46:52 AM »
I had the hots for the TL when they came out.Ended up buying the Bandit instead.At a Wend practice @ Nelson Ledges there was a racer on a TL and we went out about the same time a couple of sessions. I was able to get by him both times. Once pulling him on the front straight. I was surprised,don't know if it was running right or what. He was blaming his back shock and said it was heating up.(has a rotary shock that is close to the exhaust.)He said it had the TLR motor in it. The Bandit got some nods of aproval that day.There is another guy from Pa.on a TLR that I could'nt keep up with too.At least not that day.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 10:29:53 AM »
I guess the damage must not show up in the pics that well... while it certainly looks hurt, it doesn't look unrideable.

I think if I were him, I would have tried to park the bike on the side of the road and have one of you guys give me a ride to the nearest place to rent a pickup truck/van (like U-Haul) and avoid the whole police & tow truck thing...
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 10:56:29 AM »
Yea! what i was thinking! Some kinda buds you guys are, slowed in a tame looking sweeper while the newbee tried to catch up and had to bail!! How did you get a STATE D*ck way out there so fast? Here it takes 2 hrs min and thats on I95! Unless your @ 150 on the dial! :cop: :duh:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 11:32:42 AM »
Didn't look like enough to beat most ins deductible! Is a report a must in this case? :idea:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 03:04:03 PM »
It would depend on what's FL's report laws are. In WA, IIRC, if damage is >$500 (what isn't these days?), you're supposed to report it. However, if you aren't gonna turn it in to insurance and it's a 1-vehicle accident were there was no property damage to anyone else's stuff, it would be awfully tempting to pick it up and ride away.*

*NOTE: I am NOT condoning illegal activity here! I'm just saying, it would be awfully tempting.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 07:21:46 PM »
I'd say the TL is sportier than a B12, but riding skill is more important.

I was reading about Shwantz in Cycle World. he said in the 500 era itwas about 90% rider & 10% bike, but in MotoGP (4 strokes) is was about 70/30.
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline banditoverde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 12:32:05 AM »
"cross between a dirt bike and a tractor plowing deep furrows through the grass"

Maybe that's why some folks call them "tillers"

Is there an emoticon depicting plowing up chunks of earth as you experience gravity, friction and inertia while reuniting with mother earth?

Offline KX5000

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 07:49:08 PM »
My brother has a tl and I love to ride it, but I bought the bandit because my wife jumped off the tl after about 50 feet screaming "There aint no way I'm riding anywhere on the back of this thing!" She just didn't like the seating position on the TL, now she hardly rides with me anymore anyway so I could've gotten the TL anyway :duh:  Oh well, I really love my bandit
3 Kids
2 Dogs
1 Wife
NO problem!(yeah right!!)

Offline bikrpitts

• Board Regular!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 10:00:55 PM »
Funny someone should ask how we ended with a Florida state policeman so fast.  It was kinda weird in fact, within 10 minutes of the crash, along comes the state fellow (no one called him) out in the middle of absolutely no man's land.

Fortunately, the crashed cyclist was quick of thought and explained that he had to suddenly veer off the road to avoid a dog that suddenly crossed the road.  The policeman had a good sense of humor and after completing the accident report, asked in a deadpan voice, "so what color was the dog" ? with a grin on his face.  He admitted to riding a Harley and I think he gave our guy a break.  No tickets, just a police report.

You would think by the pictures that there was little in the way of expensive damage, but the insurance company was about 200-300 bucks away from totalling the bike, despite almost no mechanical damage.  The exhaust system needed replacing as did most of the fiberglass bodywork.  The total was astronomical...

Does anyone ever feel like either a Japanese parts distributor (or retailer)  is snickering everytime you pay $200 bucks for a decent chain or similar part that probably doesn't cost much to make ?  How about them Bandit 1200 extra long spark plugs that cost much bucks.  Been there, bought that....and felt the large hole left in me pockets.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 09:52:47 AM »
Quote from: "bikrpitts"
How about them Bandit 1200 extra long spark plugs that cost much bucks.  Been there, bought that....and felt the large hole left in me pockets.

:?: :?: :?: I can put a fresh set of plugs in my bike for under $10... that's less than a set of plugs for my Geo Tracker.  :bigok:
(But then the Tracker only needs plugs every 50K miles.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 10:17:38 AM »
Quote from: "bikrpitts"
Funny someone should ask how we ended with a Florida state policeman so fast.  It was kinda weird in fact, within 10 minutes of the crash, along comes the state fellow (no one called him) out in the middle of absolutely no man's land.

Fortunately, the crashed cyclist was quick of thought and explained that he had to suddenly veer off the road to avoid a dog that suddenly crossed the road.  The policeman had a good sense of humor and after completing the accident report, asked in a deadpan voice, "so what color was the dog" ? with a grin on his face.  He admitted to riding a Harley and I think he gave our guy a break.  No tickets, just a police report.

You would think by the pictures that there was little in the way of expensive damage, but the insurance company was about 200-300 bucks away from totalling the bike, despite almost no mechanical damage.  The exhaust system needed replacing as did most of the fiberglass bodywork.  The total was astronomical...

Does anyone ever feel like either a Japanese parts distributor (or retailer)  is snickering everytime you pay $200 bucks for a decent chain or similar part that probably doesn't cost much to make ?  How about them Bandit 1200 extra long spark plugs that cost much bucks.  Been there, bought that....and felt the large hole left in me pockets.
 DID 530xring2 $102.00 per chain shipped, $2.50 walmart champions! Lasted longer than any nippon/ngk i used, better gas mpg toooo! Deal with the stealer and all will be out of reach! The Bandit should never be taken back there unless its under warranty! even then it will take a while to get it back in shape!  :stickpoke:  :beers:  :motorsmile: