Author Topic: The Truth About Ducati...which is?  (Read 15815 times)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
The Truth About Ducati...which is?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2005, 07:47:45 AM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
>>So far I've gotten input on the FJR1300A...<<

What kind of input have you had on it? I've been interested in this bike as well, although it's kinda steep for me right now.

I think if I had to choose between an Italian bike like an ST3 or a Jap like the FJR1300A, I'd choose the FJR1300A.

Here's one thread.  When I find mine I'll post the link...

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=2077&highlight=fj1300

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2005, 08:34:41 AM »
Nothing wrong with Ducati's.

My wife has a 2000 model M750 with 21,000km on it.  The only problems we have are; she doesn't ride it enough and the registration is due the same month as one of the cars, the telephone, gas and electric bills.

In fact the Bandit has been in the shop more than the M750. Which to be honest is only for servicing, unless you count the little lie down the B12 had about 18 months ago.

Ok yes generally the servicing is more expensive, but with a 10,000km interval as apposed to a 6,000km interval it's really a case of swings and roundabouts.

There's 6 or 7 other people I know who ride Ducatis and there's only two that have had 'major' problems directly related to the bike.

1.  An original 916 which had severe electrical problems, until he had it re-wired, and
2.  A ST2 that had a computer malfunction that caused it to make the bike think it was at 200ft below sea level when in fact it was 200ft above sea level.  Consequently it ran like shyte.   Even though it was out of warranty Ducati Australia repaired/replaced it at no cost, why??? Because they'd never heard of it happening before.

As far as the rattling gun clutch is concerned, some would say it 'adds character' others (like my wife) simply fit louder pipes.  That way you can't hear it over the exhaust
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2005, 12:32:14 PM »
Don't get me wrong...Mick's got a good point.  Heck, I've even heard of persistant problems with a Honda Superhawk too, and everyone says Honda's are bulletproof.  Just giving my experience.  You could find problems with any model/make.
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2005, 02:07:02 PM »
Quote from: "ttewejnodnarb"
Don't get me wrong...Mick's got a good point.  Heck, I've even heard of persistant problems with a Honda Superhawk too, and everyone says Honda's are bulletproof.  Just giving my experience.  You could find problems with any model/make.

It is very true that you could find problems with any bike.  To me, if I am going to pay top dollar for a bike, I would expect a bullet proof bike and an excellent reputation for being an excellent bike.  I am referring to both performance and not being a maintenance nightmare.  If I was to go with an exotic bike, I personally would choose an Aprilia.  I have never heard of any maintenance issues and they make gorgeous bikes.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline KX5000

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2005, 11:57:48 PM »
right back at you

Thanks Manny, I was just kidding I always liked ducs, but they are exotic and nothing is as durable as a Jap bike IMHO.

My brother has a TL1000S with about 30,000 miles on it and he tries to break it EVERY time he rides it. So far the only problems he's had were a bad front plug wire at 25,000 miles and the oil pressure sender leaks a little when you feally flog it. As far as tank slappers and stuff I have ridden his bike alot and never had that problem, he never complains about it I'm not sure where that came from but I've never seen it.

BTW maybe Desolation Angel should be looking at a KTM 950 supermoto.

:stickpoke: Right back at ya  :stickpoke:
3 Kids
2 Dogs
1 Wife
NO problem!(yeah right!!)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2005, 07:35:37 PM »
The big adventure bike?  I checked out a black one.  It's really tall.  Looks nice, though.  I heard they aren't that comfortable for on the road, but are unbeatable offroad.

I haven't sat on one.  I'm not sure I could put both feet on the ground.

Offline ZipTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2005, 10:45:40 PM »
nothing handles as well as a ducati! First hand experiance. My bandit is getting better but the marshmallow suspension needs help, it seems that ducati start with a better grade of components. service was never a concern, road raced on the same dry clutch for two years. They do love lots of petting, and I don't mind, either! eh

DRGSF1200, 640 Duke II, 750sport (duc) current inventory,
previous duc's 900SSCR, 916
97' b12 (ZipTi) Rental fatbars, 407lbs, 520 conversion, CRG levers & mirror, FoxShox & motoCD forks, EBC HH's & Rotors, Goodridge SS lines, Trail Tech 8" headlamp, Vepor gauge/computer, all Titanium hardware, unbraced rear caliper stay, Alloy Subframe, Monster seat, 707  racing axles, GSXR blue, 70k miles...
98' GSF1200 bagger (Junior) ready to roll....

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2005, 11:08:25 PM »
Quote from: "dirt bike bandit"
nothing handles as well as a ducati! First hand experiance. My bandit is getting better but the marshmallow suspension needs help, it seems that ducati start with a better grade of components. service was never a concern, road raced on the same dry clutch for two years. They do love lots of petting, and I don't mind, either! eh

DRGSF1200, 640 Duke II, 750sport (duc) current inventory,
previous duc's 900SSCR, 916
What would you be saying if this were Gixxer Alley site? The Bandit cost 1/3rd of a Duc of comparable power! I see you have some mods, still not close to the $$ for a Duc! How does the gsxr 1000 compare? I think its awesome rite out the box 2nd to none regardless of cost! I M O......... :beers:

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2005, 12:51:44 PM »
Quote from: "KX5000"
right back at you

... but they are exotic and nothing is as durable as a Jap bike IMHO.

BTW maybe Desolation Angel should be looking at a KTM 950 supermoto.

:stickpoke: Right back at ya  :stickpoke:

Yeah, good thing the Bandit never had any issues such as oil burning pistons that require a near-rebuild. :wink:

I test rode a LC8 950 Adventure when they first came out.  They are quite fast and a hoot to ride.  Not much different than a Bandit actually.  Shorter gears make them pretty damn quick and that v-twin has a very healthy way about it.  Sounds nice too.
It would certainly be better off-road than a BMW GS, but it's by no means a dirtbike.  There is still 200lbs too much weight, the gearing is WAY too tall and it's just got too much power.  I think KTM would be very smart to develop a 650 sized v-twin to plug into their 640 Adventure.  There you have the right bike with an over worked LC4 thumper.  A v-twin 640 Adventure would be da bomb!
Still I would not mind having a 950 since I've already got my dirtbike needs filled. :banana:
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 03:56:46 PM »
I'll take one of these if ya'll are passin' out bikes!

Offline banditII

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2005, 09:36:08 PM »
I met a fellow at Deals Gap who had an older generation ST4.  He said his bike had metal shavings in the oil.  Not your normal break-in thing, I'm talking pieces and chunks.  Said ducati would not do anything about it.  I also hear about weak slave cylinders on ducati's clutches and that they develope clutch problems quicker than most other bikes.  Mitch Boehm, editor of Motorcyclist Mag has been riding a S4R.  He reported that many mornings he had to get his wife to pull him behind the car to get the thing started, said the alternator just couldn't handle the job. I could go on....

Having said all this, and knowing I've riled somebody out there, know this:  I'm going to buy a Ducati someday anyway.  Boehm also loves them.  And it's true that buying a duck doesn't gauruntee problems.  I know people who love these bikes.  To me they are the most gorgeous motorcycles made.  My biggest problem would be deciding which one to buy?  Ok, I can't afford the 999.  Well, I can afford it, I just can't afford the insurance and maintenance.  Actually, the classic duck has to be the Supersport 1000, a decendant of Paul Smarts own Imola 200 winning 750 Supersport in 1972.  Ducks have big garage appeal too.  I could just move to the garage and drool over one all night.  BTW, I hear the ST3 now uses a wet clutch ( I like that one too! ).

Warren
Riding motorcycles..........and loving it! :-)

Warren

Offline Kickstart

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2005, 07:18:45 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
I think they get bad press more from their more frequent maintenance intervals than from reliability.

The old 2 valve air cooled engines have far less frequent services than many Japanese bikes (certainly far less frequent services than a Bandit).

Quote from: "B12Teuton"
TL1000S = glitchy fuel injection and chronic tank-slappers from poorly designed steering geometry and radial POS steering dampaner that together have caused more than a few riders to crash to their death.

You forgot the suicidal tendencies of the gearbox at around 20000 miles.

All the best

Keith

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2005, 07:41:39 PM »
Anyone here read Motorcycle Consumer News?

If so, did you see the article in the Jan '06 issue entitled, "Sophia's Demise" by their resident Ducati man, LT Snyder?
Or his earlier piece on Sophia in a 2004 article called "Trust"?

Sophia is/was a Ducati ST2 (two-valver) that belonged to LT's friend, Greg. To make a long story short, the bike was not a good advertisement for Ducati reliabilty and after 40K miles and many $$$ in repairs, Greg finally tired of the money pit and got rid of it after it stranded him again, this time with an output shaft bearing failure in Kansas while he and Greg were on a road trip from Alabama to Monterey for the MotoGP.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bantana

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2005, 09:23:22 PM »
Greg was a former business partner of mine and he had many problems with his ST2. Some of which could be traced back to abusive riding, cavalier maintainence and an overtightend drive chain with loose countershaft sprocket. Greg's long time friend LT only got his hands on it after the ST2 was past hope. Greg did own a fine 1999 B12 and to this day he said his impulse sale of that bike to a needy friend was the greatest mistake he ever made. Reduced finances and shaky credit see Greg riding an old goldwing these days. Greg and LT are long time members of my riding club, the Floribama Riders. In fact, LT is the founder of the FBR.
~lloyd in atlanta
  Doing my best in the Southern Appalachians  to uphold the honor of Bandit riders everywhere.

Offline speedytriple

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2005, 01:01:31 AM »
say what you want to about them i have a few guys i ride with with ducs with over 30 to 40k on them they have had no real problems. there are bikes of any brand that are nightmares. i still would love to get my hands on a new monster s2r 1000. the guy who is doing my bike that owns a duc shop just got one in and is replacing his 999 with it. he has a lot of goodies to bolt on cant wait till he gets it done maybe i can sneek a ride on it.

mike
Mike
Berea, Ohio
2000 speed triple
2002 VW gti 1.8t