Author Topic: Tink's New (Used) Bandit GSF1200/S  (Read 6871 times)

Offline tink

• New user!
Tink's New (Used) Bandit GSF1200/S
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:23:53 PM »
Hello BanditAlley.net, Tink here  :grin:

Just bought me a lightly used 2004 GSF1200/S Bandit.  :thumb:

Looking forward to riding her... as soon as I get the carbs cleaned out.  The bike had been sitting (shame on them :rant2:) and I need to clean the carbs before she'll run right for me.  Going to put in a Dyno Jet kit while I'm at it.

Other than the carbs, the bike is 100% original with only 9K miles.

Should be a good replacement for my current commutter bike, a 1992 Honda NightHawk 750.

TINK
photosbytink.com

IN WITH THE NEW!

and OUT WITH THE OLD.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Tink's New (Used) Bandit GSF1200/S
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:08:54 PM »
Welcome tink...

I'm sure you'll love the Bandit.

Not to put you off the Dynojet kit, but many guys here have had good success with an Ivan's or Holeshot kit.

Do a quick search and you'll even find a poll and list of problems.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Roguebandit

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:39:54 AM »
Welcome tink...

I'm sure you'll love the Bandit.

Not to put you off the Dynojet kit, but many guys here have had good success with an Ivan's or Holeshot kit.

Do a quick search and you'll even find a poll and list of problems.
Gotta concur on this. Holeshot is awesome in my opinion and the customer service and support are top notch. Dale rides bandit's and knows them inside and out. You'll make your own decision but check Dale and his products out before you pull the trigger. Informed decisions always lead to less buyers remorse. :beers:

Offline tink

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »
Already pulled the trigger on the Dyno Jet kit.  :gatlin Wow, guess that's a bit too much trigger  :evil1:
Should be okay, I've installed many Dyno Jet kits in the past and have had good luck with them.
I will definitely be making future purchases from Holeshot. Looks like they got great stuff for the Bandit.  :thanks:
TINK

Offline tink

• New user!
First Ride
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »
This morning was the first time I rode the new (used) Bandit to work.  :motorsmile:
I bought the Bandit to replace a 1992 Honda NightHawk CB750 commuter bike that I had ridden for the last 10 years.

Night and day; the difference between the NightHawk and the Bandit are like night and day.
The power the Bandit has on tap needs a little respect, especially in rushhour traffic.

I live in CA so lane splitting is a way of life here.  I find that the Bandit scoots past most narrow gaps about the same as the NightHawk.

I do notice the Michelin Pilot Road tires tend to want more input from the bars than my favored Pirelli Diablo Strata. Not that this is a bad thing, just a different feel. 

The Dynojet kit is spot on; cold start is quick and smooth. Idle is rock solid, acceleration at all throttle positions is solid.

Got a set of Holeshot Nerf Bars coming, just in case... hope I never has to test them.  :bikeflip:

I'm also getting a Holeshot "Rear Foot Peg Removal Bracket" to clean up the look, seeing as I don't need rear pegs anyways.

I'll be putting a 16t sproket on too.  Gas mileage and smooter ride are more important to a 50-something old school commutter rider.

More to come...

TINK
photosbytink.com

Offline tink

• New user!
Update on Tink's New (Used) Bandit GSF1200/S
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »
Well I've finished all the mods I wanted to do and have put about 1,500 mile on the Bandit to date.

Here's a link to some recent photos of my Bandit :bandit:, note that I stripped the black paint off of the rims, leaving the spokes black (just like my 1984 Honda 700S NightHawk, man I loved that bike). Also able to find a used Corbin seat for just $200.

http://www.photosbytink.com/Bandit/

I ended up gearing up the Bandit more than most people would, but like I said; this is a commutter bike and gas mileage is more important to me than hole shot times. Ended up with a 16/43 sprocket set (15/45 is stock). Takes some fineness with the clutch to get her off the line, but once underway the gearing is spot on for my style of riding.

Gas mileage with the Dyno Jet Stage 1 kit is a constant 36mpg.  Not bad considering I'm feeding a 1200cc go fast motor with a claimed 100hp.  Ha, my old 1992 Honda NighHawk 750 only got 38mpg with a Dyno Jet Stage 1 kit installed.

The Holeshot stuff was spot on.  High quality fit and finish.  :thumb: See my web page for some photos of the Holeshot Nerf bars and Muffer Hanger I installed.

TINK

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:20:56 PM by tink »

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »
Geared that tall and you're still only getting 36?  I get 38-40 with a Holeshot Stage II/slip-on and stock 15/45 gearing... but then I have that old-fashioned air/oil cooled motor of a mere 1157cc...  :motorsmile:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)