Author Topic: Trail Tech Vapor Speedo/Tach  (Read 11762 times)

Offline AtlBanditMan

• Board Regular!
Re: Trail Tech Vapor Speedo/Tach
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 07:21:58 AM »
I think the qualiy is great. I must say I am very happy with how well it came out.

My bike is naked as well. But yes I understand what you mean.  You are saying you do not have any kind of shield what so ever?

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »
Ya mine doesn't have any kind of windshield at all. I've never liked the stock instruments and they kind of look way too big and clunky for the naked front end anyway...at least I think so. Can't send a pic of V2 of the bike as the camera is broken but this is basically the same, from last year.

just that now in addition to not looking great the instrument back is smashed... :roll: low sides aren't fun.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 03:36:20 PM »
FWIW - the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News did a review of the Vapor unit.  They did an install on a dual-sport (sounded like mostly for the tach feature since the bike didn't have an OEM tach).  They complained about the plastic mounting bracket that came standard with their bike-specific kit as breaking before they even installed the unit. This was cured by buying the optional aluminum bracket.  They also complained about one of the terminals not fitting and requiring a slight mod with a Dremel tool. Overall though, they gave it a very favorable review and enjoyed all the features it provided.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
Picked up my Vapor the other day I have not got around to installing it yet because my Acerbis is on back order. It's true the bracket that comes with the kit is a total POS but it's not like I was going to use it in the first place I'll more than likely fabricate a stainless one and mount to the triple.
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 11:54:49 AM »
They do have some nice looking protector mounts that may work... they look fairily universal.  (They do give hole spacing so you can check.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »
Almost got all of my parts put together just need to go back to work so I can fabricate some new brackets!
 :banghead:

02 1200 Fighter

Offline AtlBanditMan

• Board Regular!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 06:18:18 PM »
That's funny. When I got mine it did not have a plastic mounting bracket it came with the aluminum bracket. As far as the terminals not fitting and requiring a slight mod I did not have anything like that.

Lets see how it look when you have your Acerbis and Vapor on the bike Mongo.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 09:46:20 PM »
Good luck with those cat eye blinkers.  I've had those and the mini arrows that use the same bulbs and the bulbs were lucky to make it thru a season without either burning out or having the bulb-to-socket connection give me grief.  The mini bulbs aren't a common automotive item, so when they go tango uniform, you've gotta go to a bike shop for a replacement - and invariably, they burn out on Sundays.

I went with LED's recently.  Hopefully they'll hold up!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 10:54:39 PM »
Good luck with those cat eye blinkers.  I've had those and the mini arrows that use the same bulbs and the bulbs were lucky to make it thru a season without either burning out or having the bulb-to-socket connection give me grief.  The mini bulbs aren't a common automotive item, so when they go tango uniform, you've gotta go to a bike shop for a replacement - and invariably, they burn out on Sundays.

I went with LED's recently.  Hopefully they'll hold up!

I've been running them for two years on the back of the bike with no issues besides there common stock at Cycle Gear if I have any problems there only a short ride away!
02 1200 Fighter

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 03:36:43 PM »
That's funny. When I got mine it did not have a plastic mounting bracket it came with the aluminum bracket. As far as the terminals not fitting and requiring a slight mod I did not have anything like that.

Lets see how it look when you have your Acerbis and Vapor on the bike Mongo.

Mine came with the plastic bracket in the with the gauge package I finally dug into the dash kit and found the aluminum bracket! I'll still need to fabricate a bracket to go from the triple to the Trailtech since the S models have the gauges hanging out in the fairing.

I just mocked up a cardboard template so when I get into work I'll dig up some stainless and make one up.

:beers:
02 1200 Fighter

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 10:42:34 PM »
Got stated on my install tonight but I cant get much more done until next week I need to stuff a 383 stroker motor into a 67 Camaro first thing and the morning and if I blow off the 22nd anniversary with the wife I'll end up sleeping with my bike in the garage!

:trustme:

02 1200 Fighter

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 10:11:49 PM »
Put some miles on her since the transformation and I had some minor issues with the tach but after contacting Trailtech the issue was quickly resolved. I had to put a 600 K Ώ resistor in line to make it work correctly but after that all is good (wish I hadn’t tossed all those resistors out at work sure would have made life easy)!!!

02 1200 Fighter

Offline DSMoneypit

• New user!
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 02:49:57 PM »
Any updates on how well the Vapor is holding out.  It has been awhile since this thread was updated and I am looking at doing a street fighter conversion to my bike as well.  Has the unit held up good?

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 11:41:55 PM »
No problems with the unit so far! :grin:

Next step is mounting it to the Busa Front Forks!

02 1200 Fighter

Offline China Greg

• Board Homesteader!
  • Tighten it 'til it Loosens then back-off 1/4 turn
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 01:20:04 AM »
Speedos.... yeah.
I NEED one, as my (1st Gen) B12's started fluctuating heavily, often racing 10-20mph ahead of actual road speed last Summer.

I tried to do The NASTY: open the speedo unit and see if I could find any obvious problem... dirt... bent shaft.. something. Anything.
I took the unit out and actually managed to pry off the glass (not recommended) and get to the innards. Once inside I found....
...nothing.
Crap.
Along the way I had trouble (oop! hah ha) in getting the trip shaft out smoothly.. so I decided to just chuck the whole trip assembly in hopes that maybe ..that was the offending ..component...?

Nope. I DID manage to get the thing back together though, bending the metal bezel ring over sufficiently, (not very pretty or easy), and I re-installed the unit.

It looks okay, but still runs fast and now I have no tripmeter.

SO:
 WHY DOES EBAY NEVER HAVE 1ST GEN GUAGES???  WHAAAAA !!
Black '98 B12S, JE 1216cc bore kit, port work, Yosh RS3, Ivan jetting, drag bars, modified Corbin Gunfighter, Hyperpro shock, Racetech Gold valve kit, stainless lines, Wave rotors, polished wheels, fender eliminator, bar-end mirrors, NEP throttle lock, Adaptiv TPX radar detector...140K miles