Author Topic: Trying my first carb sync  (Read 14286 times)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Trying my first carb sync
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 01:43:04 PM »
It was horrible.  I spilled gas everywhere.  Apparently I swayed from starving the bike for fuel to flooding it and having gas drip out the overflow tubes onto my boots.  After just sticking the fuel line into a clean beer bottle filled with gas I saw it was not sucking fuel out.  So I figured it was gravity feed and just poured gas into the line.
I'm sorry to hear it was that bad  :duh:, you're right it is a gravity fed system. Some people use old IV poles with a bag on it for fuel.. you should rig something up that will have some flow to it, but not 'pressure'.

But it appears the bike would just suck in all of the gas and pour it on my foot though?
well your carbs have the float bowl valves which are supposed to prevent the bowl from overflowing (and leaking on your boot), either your float bowl valves don't seal, or the pressure of the fuel coming in was stronger than the downward force of the floats body on the valve. Try making a fuel delivery system out of an old bottle, or yogurt container or something of the like, drill a hole for the fuel line and seal it up, I find it easier to get a spare piece of hose the same size as the fuel line but longer that way my 'tank' can be moved more easily.

So does it sound like I need to yank the carbs and drill out that brass plug to adust the idle air-fuel misture screws? 
Side note: Did the forum crash last night?

can't help you with the lean cough really not having heard it, but as far as I know the plugs are rubber and not brass or they were on my bike... and taking them out is easier than it might seem. Adjusting the pilot screws has helped a lot of forum members so it would certainly seem to come highly recommended.

And yes evidently the forum crashed last night.  :rant2:
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 05:00:54 PM »
I use a 1 gallon gas can with a cheap pump bulb siphon tube set-up...  (3 bucks at Walmart).  Put the gas can on a table/ladder/anything that's slightly higher than the fuel hose level.  I found a brass coupler for repairing air hoses (barbs on both ends) and the siphon tube fits snug on one side - a hose clamp over the fuel line snugs things up to the other side.

A binder clip or tiny clamp holds the siphon hose in the gas can.  Squeeze the primer bulb according to the directions and gas will flow (under gravity) to the fuel line.  When you're done all you have to do is lower the gas can to the floor and undo the hose clamp on the fuel line - the gas will drain back into the gas can.

Clean up & drain the siphon tube set-up and store it under the seat in case you or a buddy runs out of gas.   :thumb:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Dink_1170

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 05:30:40 PM »
  It happened mostly between cylinders 2 and 4, but more on cylinder 4.  So does it sound like I need to yank the carbs and drill out that brass plug to adust the idle air-fuel misture screws?  Thanks.

-Matt  :beers:

Matt in all seriousness you need to thoroughly clean these carbs out, the fuel overflow situation is because of dirt in the fuel bowls; needle valve area if you wanna be real technical, for a temporary fuel tank almost any bottle will do, all you need is to get a barb the same size as your fuel hose and put it through the lid; then punch a hole in the bottom so it can breathe.
I know you are trying to not pull the carbs, sometimes there is no help for it; yours have been neglected a long time.

Dink
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care!!!
07 Bandit1250S - "Bonnie"
85 GSX1100EFF - "The Tractor"
82 GSX1100SZ - "Kitty"
82 GSX750SZ -"Lil Kitty"