Author Topic: New Bandit In Rider & Sport Rider  (Read 2816 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
New Bandit In Rider & Sport Rider
« on: May 27, 2007, 02:13:39 AM »
The 1250 is a hit.
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:52:25 AM »
I got to sit on the new Bandit for the 1st time yesterday in the showroom of a local dealer that I deal with. Didn't get to take it for a spin though. If the dealer gets one for himself, I'll get to test his.But for now, he's just trying to sell them.

Offline SP-Dee

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 12:08:45 PM »
I got to take one out for a demo ride yesterday....I think the SO is going to shoot me for suggesting I want to upgrade and I've only had the 02 for 1.5 months :)

What a fun bike to ride! Smooth, very smooth, didn't even feel it running!
2002 Bandit 1200S

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 12:14:52 PM »
Whatever you do - don't take it for a test ride! If you do, you are going to want one.

Dealers with demo bikes are finding that a high percentage of test rides turn into orders. That's got to say something for the bike.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1250s
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 05:55:38 PM »
SteelD is right. I tool one for a test ride and the folowing week bought it!!!!!!!!! It's one nice ride. Bandit1250s...
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 05:50:44 AM »
Cycle World has a write up now too. Not as much as  the Z1000 or fz1 for hp or being a holigan. But is the bike of choice for the rider who wants to rack up some miles. Everyone loves the low end grunt and smoothness in all the rags.

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 07:06:59 AM »
Quote from: "smooth operator"
Cycle World has a write up now too. Not as much as  the Z1000 or fz1 for hp or being a holigan. But is the bike of choice for the rider who wants to rack up some miles. Everyone loves the low end grunt and smoothness in all the rags.

HP isn't everything. Torque is more important and where in the rev range that torque appears. The 1250 has it spot on so, AFAIAC, I twist the grip and it goes like a rocket. I grew out of the 'drop it two gears and scream it' mentality years ago. With the Bandit, I'll be able to enjoy the ride and what's going on around me without having to concentrate on playing merry tunes with the gearbox and engine to keep it on song like a racer.
David

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 11:21:29 AM »
Quote from: "SteelD"
HP isn't everything. Torque is more important and where in the rev range that torque appears. The 1250 has it spot on so, AFAIAC, I twist the grip and it goes like a rocket.

Exactly. That's 100% true... on the street. On the racetrack, where you have lots of horsepower in the high rev range, you use your gears up and down much more to control power, speed, and braking. And tuning an engine for racing, you can get lots more horsepower, but only in a narrow "powerband", so you run it in the range that it performs the best... it's a lot more work. And it comes at the sacrifice of "streetability". Which is what you are saying, right, D?  :wink:

So many young squids these days get it in their head that having a race-bike on the street makes them the fastest thing alive... and then they end up splattered on the back door of a semi. Sure, you can go fast on a Gixxer, but it takes a kot of concentration and work to do it... leaving less brainpower for watching traffic and other hazards.

On the track you learn every curve in a relatively short time, it becomes automatic. There's no traffic or obstacles, no suprises other than the occasional downed rider. On the street it's the opposite... at least half the road you ride is new and unknown, and even the familiar roads will have different traffic on them.  :duh:

Quote from: "SteelD"
I grew out of the 'drop it two gears and scream it' mentality years ago. With the Bandit, I'll be able to enjoy the ride and what's going on around me without having to concentrate on playing merry tunes with the gearbox and engine to keep it on song like a racer.

D, there's already been a couple times that I've used the B1250's monster torque to spank a sportbike.  :bandit: While they were busy dropping their gear to find the powerband, I was already blowing by them without needing to shift. And the fact that the Bandit handles nearly as well as a sportbike, an experienced rider can easily lead the way around the twisties... so many young sportbikers that think they are fast, but just don't have the skills or experience to actually be fast. Dragging their knee or scraping a peg does them no good if they are getting out-braked, or they are inconsistent through the S's. Smoothness, rythm, and finesse works just as well going fast as it does with the ladies on the dance floor.  :wink:  :bandit:

BTW, SteelD... you get your baby home yet? What's the deal? I think I'd have a tent set up outside their door by now...  :roll:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 01:57:01 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"

BTW, SteelD... you get your baby home yet? What's the deal? I think I'd have a tent set up outside their door by now...  :roll:

The licensing authority hasn't finished processing the paperwork yet (I have a plate to switch and that takes longer) so I couldn't pick it up last Friday (1st June). Now agreed to pick it up on Saturday 9th June.  ...and it will have the lower fairing fitted.  :grin:
David