Author Topic: Who here did NOT do their 600 service at a dealer?  (Read 3936 times)

Offline fake

• Board Homesteader!
Who here did NOT do their 600 service at a dealer?
« on: December 14, 2005, 12:32:13 PM »
I didn't, and here is why.  I bought a brand new 2005 V Star 650 in May of this year.  When the 600 service came around, I took it to the dealer, and they charged me $190.00.  I looked at what they did on the "to do list", and nothing major was done.  All they did was check bolts, change oil/filter, and few other small things.  So I basically paid 200.00 for an oil change.  Anyways, I sold the V Star at 1000 miles, and bought the Bandit.

I asked my service if they do the valve inspection at 600 mi, which they stated no, because they usually don't need to be adjusted yet.

Cool, so I bought a Clymers manual, and did the 600 mi, 200.00 "oil change" myself.  I checked bolts, and tightened things to spec with a torque wrench.  Everything was pretty much in spec.  I plan on taking the bandit to my job's shop, and let it sit over night.  The shop mechanic has worked on bikes for a long time, so i'm pretty sure he and I can adjust the valves around 1200 miles or so.
2005 B-1200S Limited

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 02:09:01 PM »
When you do set the valves, consider setting them at the maximum clearances recommended by Suzuki -- 0.006" intake and 0.009" exhaust.

That way you'll probably be able to go longer between checks as valves usually decrease clearance due to impacting into the valve seats over time and mileage.

On my 2003 Bandit 1200 the clearances have NOT changed since the 600 mile check.  I checked them again at 7500, 15000 and 22000 miles.  Based on that experience I'll check tham again at about 40000 IF the valve train sounds the same as now.  

I've heard the sound described as 16 mice busily typing away, which pretty much sums it up.

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 02:57:11 PM »
At 600 miles my B12's valves were all over the place.  They all needed to be adjusted.
It's easy though.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 03:37:13 PM »
I wish I didn't have to, the dealer other than doing the valves, drilling the EPA plugs, OIl and filter, didn't do shit to my bike. I know 100% they didn't do the carb sync. However just drilling the plugs was worth the $350 bucks in my books just so I could fix the jetting myself. Although I couldn't sit down for a week and there was blood in my underwear afterwards from the ass raping I received. Thank god I never have to go back there again! Ever! Oh and I'm still waiting for a user's manual 2 months after I bought the bike, finally called Suzuki directly and they said they would send me one. Its cool though,  the warranty service has been done so I can now fix it myself or take it to a real mechanic.

Oh wait, I'm wrong. The $350 service was worth it because they wiped my bike with a cloth too!! The name "stealer" is certainly apt in my case.

P.S. I would have traded the cloth wiping for a carb sync.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 04:57:56 PM »
I did NOT take my bike to the dealer for the 600 mile service or any service so far.  I did the valves, oil change, fastener check, etc myself (with some help from another board member on the valves).  I had 3 valves out of spec and was glad I checked them.  They weren't far enough out for the dealer to change them, but I did it for peace of mind.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline stian

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.team-htr.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 06:56:05 PM »
I havent had my bike to any service yet, i just bought it, and mine has about 550miles on it.. Any things i have to do at this stage? I changed the oil and oilfilter as soon as i got it, what about valve service? I prefer to do it all my self, so if anyone has any tips.. please let me know..

How to i do the valves? How about chain and sprocket ? When do they need to be replaced? Looks good now though.. What about carb sync?

I have a 97 B6..
97 B6 streetfighter, 05 R1 Rearend, renthal bars
dual headlights, typhoon slipon, tripleX theme
 ... www.team-htr.com ...

Offline fake

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 07:27:32 PM »
Quote from: "stian"
I havent had my bike to any service yet, i just bought it, and mine has about 550miles on it.. Any things i have to do at this stage? I changed the oil and oilfilter as soon as i got it, what about valve service? I prefer to do it all my self, so if anyone has any tips.. please let me know..

How to i do the valves? How about chain and sprocket ? When do they need to be replaced? Looks good now though.. What about carb sync?

I have a 97 B6..

you only have 550 miles on a 1997 B6?
2005 B-1200S Limited

Offline stian

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://www.team-htr.com
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 08:09:55 PM »
yupp, the guy I bought it of had'nt used it for years, (bought a car, got a family, moved to norway + + )..
97 B6 streetfighter, 05 R1 Rearend, renthal bars
dual headlights, typhoon slipon, tripleX theme
 ... www.team-htr.com ...

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 08:58:59 PM »
Quote from: "stian"

I have a 97 B6..

Get a service manual. Clymer, Haynes, or Suzuki - all will do a good job, especially something like regular service. If you go to the members area of this board, you can get a low res copy free.

Chain adjustment should be covered in the owner's manual, if he gave it to you with the bike.

As far as how long they last, that will depend on how you ride and how you take care of it. Expect at least 10,000 miles/16,000 Km with basic care. More if you take better care and don't ride real hard. The stock chains are of medium quality, if you opt for a high quality chain and sprockets when you replace them, you can get longer life.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 09:52:45 PM »
I had my valves done by the the Suzuki shop.  From what I have been told, it puts me in the system for notification of any recalls or problems.  Everything else since then, I have done myself.  I personally do it for two reasons.  The first being that I don't like being financially raped.  The second is that I know that the job was done right and I know which valves were good and bad.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
MOST DEALERS ARE THERE TO SQWEEZ YOU FOR EVERY DIME THEY CAN
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 11:12:56 PM »
:clap:

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 11:37:14 PM »
With very rare exception have I, or people I have known, have had nothing but bad experiences with dealers.

As far I can remember, I have never had been happy with the end results after having dealers work on my bike.  That is with the exception of tire changes.  Actually the last time I took my bandit in, they fixed a problem(oil leak) that they screwed up on when they did the valves.  So I have one positive experience, well kind of. :stickpoke:
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 02:01:25 AM »
I did have my local dealer do the 1000 km service, which DID include setting the valves. They did the basic service, oil & filter, set the valves, check the bolts, etc. I also had them add 20 ml SAE 20 fork oil to the forks.

The guys here were good. They let me know they had to adjust two valves, they adjusted the tire pressure to factory spec. etc. The only error they made, is that they wanted to put 20W50 in the engine, but I told them I wanted 10W40. This shop also sells/services Harleys, so they are used to the heavy oils. At least they asked first, and put the right stuff in.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 02:37:32 PM »
Quote from: "pmackie"
I did have my local dealer do the 1000 km service, which DID include setting the valves. They did the basic service, oil & filter, set the valves, check the bolts, etc. I also had them add 20 ml SAE 20 fork oil to the forks.

The guys here were good. They let me know they had to adjust two valves, they adjusted the tire pressure to factory spec. etc. The only error they made, is that they wanted to put 20W50 in the engine, but I told them I wanted 10W40. This shop also sells/services Harleys, so they are used to the heavy oils. At least they asked first, and put the right stuff in.

They must have read this!!! 2002-GSF600S, Silver, Still stock
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
26 years in the Fuel/lubes industry.... and knew who they were fooling with!!! You are lucky! My only encounter with the stealer here was like this! It was a thursday at that... I noticed most of the squidly bikes weren't there so that meant the mechanics weren't there! Can't get at it like i told you i could!!! leave it and come back in an a couple hours. OK i come back 4 hrs later! flunky just starting to wash the bike! Oil & filter R&Red they said valves were checked and were ok!!!! That is funny my marks i put on the valve cover bolts were not touched or moved... Oh are you a mechanic? Yes!! Well they don't need to be adj under 20k!!! I was then told by a disgruntled mechanic, i had spoken with a few weeks back, that was moving the rest of his tools out cause he quit! You don't want to KNOW!!!! The service was thrown in on the purchase deal i got, 6k free... 98 B12s that had 3k on it from a too old for the bandit buyer (thru the dealer) he traded it for a cruiser! To top it off it had a pint or more too much oil that oiled my air filter and made the eng run hot and slugish!!! Every one has bad days but all but a few service dept are just a necissary evil and never get the respect or attention they deserve!!!!   Last time i've been there other than to look at the newer models.... Try that if you buy one of those Ducati's

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 02:09:16 PM »
I practically begged Scott at the place I normally do service(Ontario Cycle Salvage) if I could do it there, but they said they were worried about my warranty and said it's best done at the dealer for the first checkup. You know you're dealing with good guys when they are TURNING DOWN hundreds of dollars of service work to make sure you're good on your warranty on a bike they never sold you. I wish that Suzuki would change their shit policy from "official Suzuki dealer" to "licensed mechanic" so we can take it to real mechanics. I guess it would hurt their dealers so it's never going to happen. Pity. Next time I buy a brand new bike I'm going to get some lube to go with it so the spiked cock ring these dealers use won't hurt so bad!

Oh yeah, I forgot, they were also going to charge me an extra 2 hours labour to fix the jetting by drilling the plugs to make it drivable untill I bitched to high heaven so the bill would have been over $500!!( I guess they wanted to give me a hot sauce enema too) I've bought whole motorcycles in running condition for less. Oh yeah its officially been 2 months now still without the original owners manual and they didn't stamp the warranty book either. So yes I feel your guys pain.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.