Author Topic: tank bag Q`s  (Read 4283 times)

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
tank bag Q`s
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:08:01 AM »
I have a tail pack for my commute but think a tank bag could be better .will a tank bag scratch the heck out of my tank and will they stay put at high sustained speeds ,are they a PITA when fueling up . thanks in advance  Mark
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 11:50:23 AM »
I've had no issues with mine.  I use it everyday.  Mine is magnetic so it's not a pain at all at gas stops.  No probs at high speed either, it's held up at 160mph.  I have a Joe Rocket Blaster you can get from newenough.com for $49.

Ron
2006 Kawaasaki Z1000, Corbin seats, CRG mirrors, clear alternatives smoked taillight, Metzler M3 tires, and even more smiles!!!
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
Tank bag
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 12:06:42 PM »
I have a Endurance bag that I purchased at the local MC dealer here in Orange County. It was 89.00. Kind of a lot for such a simple piece of luggage I thought. But it has been a great performer. It telescopes so you can make it higher and lower in profile. That is really helpful because you might not always want to carry a lot of stuff but when you do you can unzip and get extra space.

One other thing I discovered about a tank bag on my 05 b1200s is that I can rest my chest on the bag and so it supports my weight and takes some of the stress off my back. That's one thing I never anticipated about having a tank bag and it's been a great help to my riding comfort.

Overall, I would say defenitly get a bag that telescopes so you can carry a lot of gear if you need to.

I have never had a problem with the thing shifting around on the tank or coming off at high speeds and when I get gas I just set it on the handle bars. Also, the model I have can be strapped to the rear seat and be used as luggage. Although I have never tried that yet.

I really like mine it's been great. Sorry no pics. Don't have a camera. But it looks a lot like the bag pictured above by RONRDRCR except it's got the extra zippers for telescoping.

Lucas

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 09:58:50 PM »
I have a Nelson-Rigg MG-950.  Its magnetic, as long as you dont slide the magnets along the tank it wont scratch it.  Refueling is a breeze, just pop it off and lay it on the seat.  Takes all of 30 sec on and off.  Its been speed tested well over 100 mph on my bandit and my roommate's katana and hasnt moved a bit.  Newenough *had* them for like 40 bucks, I got lucky and found this one on ebay for $25.  It holds a crapload of stuff.  I can get my hat, rain gear, another visor, and a few other bits in there without expanding it.  Ive also used it in expanded forms for trips to the grocery store/beer runs.   :banana:   :beers:
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating organ in the body.  Then I thought, 'well sure, look who's telling me that.'

99 bandit 1200s

Offline 00to60

• Board Homesteader!
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 03:25:57 AM »
I had no problems with a tankbag on my previous bike (1986 Honda Intercepter 500). It did'nt scratch my tank and held on at any speed .
The only downside is removing it to put gas in the tank, which is not much of a problem.
The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:51:34 AM »
I bought a bag off of e-bay myself that says "rocket" on it. It to is magnetic. No scratches thus far and it stays put. It has the handy dandy clear cover for maps as well. It holds about as much stuff as a brief case will. Like the the others I just flip mine up on the handle bars leaned against the wind screen for fill ups. You should be able to pick one up off e-bay for about $40 give or take.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 12:33:11 PM »
I bought a small Rapid bag which fits the Bandit tank nicely. Doesn't carry a lot but is good enough for now. I noticed wear happening at the crotch mostly and a little at the side and top magnetic points. By wear I mean light scratching. Granted the crotch area was more from jacket buttons and zippers but, never the less it was there. I fixed this by generally uglying up the tank a bit with stickon clear plastic laminate that was cut out to the crotch and contact point shapes. Don't know if this is the best way to go as getting the laminate back off, if I should ever need to, may cause the clearcoat damage.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline 00to60

• Board Homesteader!
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 10:27:51 PM »
I forgot to mention. This tankbag had straps. It was'nt magnetic. :lol:
The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 10:48:42 PM »
Be careful not to let the undersid get dirty when it's not on the bike.  The dirt can grind into the paint.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline GaryB12VA

• Board Homesteader!
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 04:53:39 PM »
Quote from: PitterB4
Be careful not to let the undersid get dirty when it's not on the bike.  The dirt can grind into the paint.

Hey Rob, is that a "don't ask me how I know that" type of comment  :lol:
'06 FJR 1300A

"The person who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person who is doing it"

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 10:30:09 PM »
I have a Icon Primer Pack.  It also has straps that attach to it, so it can be carried away from the bike (backpack style), when not in use.  

Yes, a Magnetic bag will scratch the paint.  When you lift the bag off the tank, lift the magnet portions right up, don't let them slide.  Today's clearcoat isn't what it was.

I had my tank bag slide -most- of the way off the tank once.  Never at Highway speeds.  In fact, today, I sustained about 150kph for more than a couple of minutes and there was no sign of shift.  (Cops either.  :lol:  :motorsmile: )

When I had it shift, I was riding the snottiest twistiest most gravelly potholed piece of crap mountain road (read: nothing at the top to make the park money, so it was about 10 yrs overdue for a rehab.  There were even parts of the road that had collasped, and they just put signs and paint around them.), and I found it bounced all the way to one side, and one of the magnets hanging off the side of the tank.   I didn't actually lose it, but my tank wrap doesn't quite look the same.

Actually, coincidentally, that road was also the one road that I had found to date where I will -not- ride it again with the 919, but could probably have a ball with it all day on Dita.   Of course it would be trumped by a smoother road on either bike.  I look at it though that a beautiful day in the mountains beats a day in the city any time.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: tank bag Q`s
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 07:18:46 PM »
I've used a Tourmaster magnetic tank bag for more than 5 years.  They work great.  The very best piece of gearI keep on a bike.  

Make a point of keeping the bottom of the bag and the tank clean. It will be fine.  I usually use spray polish (Plexus) after every ride.  Do a quick brush of the magetic bottom with you gloved hand, so there is no metal (like a screw) stuck to the bottom.

Quote from: snofrog
I have a tail pack for my commute but think a tank bag could be better .will a tank bag scratch the heck out of my tank and will they stay put at high sustained speeds ,are they a PITA when fueling up . thanks in advance  Mark
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline amboman

• Board Homesteader!
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 08:03:22 PM »
I have just bought a Ventura tank bag for my 1300 and I love the bag but after the first decent ride I am not impressed with the damage to the paint.  I have managed to minimise the damage with cutting compound.  I have also covered my tank with scuff stuff (clear plastic coating) to prevent any further damage.

I am going to write to the manufactuer to express my dissatisfaction.   :crybaby:   The sales pitch even stated no scuffing or damage to the paint!!!!
Taken over by the dark side. Now riding a CB 1300 but visit my old bandit regular.

Offline zaphoid42

• TURBO TYPER!
tank bag Q`s
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 04:38:44 PM »
The joe rocket bag has a new name.  rapid-transit.com

I just got a bag.  How many people actually use the strap/clip that goes around the head?

Seams like a pain to thread the strap through.
2002 GSF6