Author Topic: You know the old adage about two kinds of riders....  (Read 7413 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: You know the old adage about two kinds of riders....
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2007, 03:44:48 AM »
Likely yes. Generally stiffer springs = rougher ride. Better quality components can give more of both, if you want to pop the coin for a better shock and forks.

I think I might hold off on that for this moment,... just because I want to grow a little as a rider first, then be able to appreciate the upgrade.  Right now, I still have no idea what I like in a bike, as far as setup.  Part of the reason we bought that CBR600 this summer.  I wanted to see if it was more enjoyable to ride.  It was, in corners and as far as wind protection on the highway, but for being stuck in traffic, or long rides, blue beat it hands down as far as I'm concerned.    I did notice it didn't beat me up quite as bad on the bumps, -but- r_outsider and I were discussing that, and thought it might have had to do with me being more stretched out on the bike, more than suspension.

But, don't discount an fork oil change, and proper preload/sag setup. Setting your static sag for your normal riding weight and playing with the adjustments you do have are very worthwhile. For you non adjustable forks, you simply need to make longer preload spacers. A zip tie around the fork tube will help you set your static sag, and also let you know if you are using up your full stroke on your normal rides.

Check, r_outsider has promised that we'll do that in the spring.  I'm assuming the 919 has the original fork oil in it.  I'm reasonably sure something was set on the rear shock, but I can't recall which ( and I'm -so- not a suspension person)  All I know is it's set to (I think) one step below the factory setting on the spring. And r_outsider is unconscious at the moment, or I'd ask him. :grin:

We'll try the ziptie trick, and possibly look at spacers.  So,.. the dials on the top and bottoms of the forks are so that you don't have to take things apart to adjust them?  But the ability to make adjustment is there even without the nifty dials? 

I'm reasonably sure it's not me using all of the stroke,.. I think it's the potholes.  :stickpoke:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
Re: You know the old adage about two kinds of riders....
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »
i believe that old adage, it happens to everyone.

i didnt read this whole thread just the first few posts and the last few but i wanna say:

1. Unlucky dude.

2. Sounds like you hit some diesel or something, wouldnt have seen it on the road.

3. When i was involved in an accident (my only ever thankfully, but a bad one. some jerk talking on his mobile in a car drove straight into me when i was doing 60mph cruising down a main road) i was wearing a jacket with ce approved armour, a thick hoodie, and 3 t shirts. (It was a cold day) and i lost most the skin from my back and shoulders. Admittedly i was going quicker than you were when you came off. Didnt break any bones tho.  I think it depends how you fall and land what happens to you, sometimes you break bones, sometimes you lose skin, sometimes both, sometimes your pretty much ok.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 05:33:13 PM by Forde »
If you cant join them, beat them...