Author Topic: Just finished my carb swap  (Read 19789 times)

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
Just finished my carb swap
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:47:07 PM »
I finally got my b400 finished I modified it to fit a rack of carbs off of a 94 gsx 600. Just wondering if anyone around here has done that. If not I could provide some pics and info on how to make the adapters/spacers.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: Just finished my carb swap
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 02:49:06 PM »
Cool knew it could be done pic's would be great for others to see
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 12:13:14 PM »
I will get some pics posted within a day or 2 my camera isnt very cooperative. I made my spacers out of 1.5 in o.d. aluminum pipe and
1 5/8 i.d. type-a steel reinforced acol fuel hose. I cut the pipe into 4, 3 inch sections I put a slight angle on the outer pipes so they would space out evenly. I slid them into the intake boots, clamped them off, cut the fuel hose and slid them onto the pipe. I put the carbs up to the hose, slid them back and forth on the pipe to line up with the intake port of the carbs, then clamped them down. I put some K&N ovals on and a stage 3 kit then tuned it. I imagine it could be done with just about any set of carbs but i used ones off of a gsx 600. It has improved low end power dramatically. I didnt even have to use a different throttle cable! It took me awhile to figure it out but am more than satisfied with the results. I will post some pics as soon as i can.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:59:56 PM »
sounds real interesting... post up those pics!!

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
I finally got my pictures up here is the address
http://s354.photobucket.com/albums/r405/camarobantana/

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »
WOW what a intake track length  :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 04:25:14 PM »
Holy Hose-Clamps Batman!

The real question is: does it work? And if so, how well?

It looks to me like the outer carbs may interfere with your knees...

A

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 07:54:57 PM »
Wow. Frankencarbs! That looks so mad max . . . I love it. :thumb:

G

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »
Thanks glad you guys like it! They do not interfere with my legs or riding position at all. Yes it does work, almost too well. It has put alot of low end grunt into it(so much that 1st is barely use-able and I have to be careful in 2nd because the back tire breaks loose) and is smooth all the way through the power-band with no flat spots.  I thought it would at least be hard to start but I barely have to touch the button and its running! I dont know the exact science behind it but I believe it runs so well now is because the carbs are further from the heat allowing the fuel to be cooler, and it alters the mixture by creating a larger vortex, burning it more efficiently. I figured it works on tunnel ram intakes and carb spacers on cars why not motorcycles? One odd thing is that I actually was watching Mad Max when I thought of it  :grin: I have put about 70 miles on it with no problems at all. I will keep all of you updated if I run into any problems. Thanks for the comments, interest, and for having such a great place dedicated to the Suzuki Bandit!

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 04:45:05 AM »
They might work so well cause they're the same model carbs as the b4 used originally. The longer intake track will add to torque but lower top end power.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »
so what *are* those carbs and what are the specs, roughly. How did you go about adjusting them, jetting/mixture etc wise?

I'm just rally curious is all... I don't envision doing this anytime... soon any way...  :trustme:

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 05:13:26 PM »
The gsx600 came with mikuni bst33's as standard which suprisingly enough so did the B4 in jap spec although in us spec came with bst32's but i think you may be able to take the spacers from the b4 carbs and make them fit on those and not need those lengths of pipe.

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 07:09:10 PM »
Yes they are the bst33 mm carbs off of a 1994 gsx 600, also my bike is a Jap spec bike and came with the 33mm carbs. The pipes were needed because the gsx600 carb rack is about 2 inches longer(if i remember right)than the b4 carb rack. I needed the spacers for 2 reasons, 1. To spread out the area an extra couple of inches to they would match the intake boots to the carb inlet and 2. I needed to move them back in order to clear the frame under the gas tank. I am using a dynojet stage 1&3 kit for the gsx600 I think i put in the 110 main, I will check tomorrow, with the needle in the 2nd groove from top and 1 3/4 turns out on the idle mixture. I am also using the cr7ek plugs(1 step hotter than stock). It seems to be the best setup considering im using the K&N ovals and a Kerker exhaust. I have gotten several emails (didnt think this would get so much attention!) about the part # for the air filters. It is RU-2922 BUT they will not fit the B400 carbs they are for the GSX 600, they are too long. I did this because I noticed a hairline crack in one of the carb bodies and it would have spread and caused malfunction if I didnt replace it. I couldnt find another 33mm B4 rack suitable or even close to my price range. Honestly I thought of selling my bike or even parting it out (I got tired having to rev it so hard to get anywhere). This mod has changed the low end so much I can now do at 5000rpm what it took me to do before at 8000 or even 9000rpm and now I think I might hold on to it for another year or 2 or more  :grin:

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »
thanks for all the details. very nice!

It's just a really nice mod, despite the frankenstein looks. And it looks to be reversible, which is *always* a plus!

I also like the sound of what it does to the power curve. It'd be cool to see a dyno run compared to stock.

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »
correct me if im wrong but you cant put the side airbox covers on now right?