Author Topic: Speedometer Stopped Working  (Read 11285 times)

Offline MattMan

• TURBO TYPER!
Speedometer Stopped Working
« on: June 12, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
Hey all, as the topic name implies, my speedometer stopped working last night.  The trip meter is also frozen at 139 miles, no matter how far or fast I go. 

The bike has been down hard by the previous owner and when I look into the fairing cavity I see a pinched red wire.  I plan on fixing that wire obviously lol, but is does anyone know what wire sends signal to the speedo and odometer? 

The bike is a 2005 Bandit 1200S.  Another weird thing is that when you turn the key on both gauges sweep, but the speedo wont register once you start rolling.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Matt  :beers: :beers:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Speedometer Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:46:47 AM »
Sounds like the problem is between the speed sensor, mounted on the countershaft cover, and the gauge.  The schematic in a service manual (see the downloads section in the title bar above) ought to tell you what color wires to look at.  Also, check the sensor and countershaft sprocket area.  It is possible the grime that collects in there has fouled the ability for the sensor to detect speed.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline MattMan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »
Hey Paul, thanks for the quick reply.  I checked out the download section, but there is only a file up to the 2002 1200S.  Did everything stay the same up until they redesigned and put out the 1250?  It's a dreary rainy day here so I wouldn't mind tinkering on this damn thing.  Thanks again!

Matt  :beers:

Offline willo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »
I had same problem with 02 mod, it was water in an around the sensor, dried that out put in some spray to keep it dry. That was over a year ago haven't had a problem since, their is a thread about this problem somewhere in the forum but can't remember where. :bigok: :bigok:

Offline MattMan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:38:06 PM »
Well I never did find the schematic for the countershaft sprocket cover, but I think I found the sensor?  Does is plug into the cover over the front sprocket on the drive chain?  I took out the one allen screw holding in a sensor on that cover and checked out the sensor.  It had a little grime on it, but nothing crazy.  I wiped it off and plugged it back in.

I temporarily fixed the red wire that was damaged today too, but just have to borrow a solder gun tomorrow to finish the job.  I put the bike on the center stand and put it in gear and got the rear tire spinning good, but there was still no reading on the speedo.  Is there the possibility that I blew a fuse somewhere?  Thanks!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »
Since your needles sweep, I doubt it would be a fuse issue.  The sensor you found and cleaned is the right one, but you might wanna pull the whole cover and clean up the sprocket, too and the other half of the sensing comes from the sprocket.  AFAIK, there would be no difference in the schematics between an 02 and an 05 in the speedo portion.  The 05 does have a couple of other electrical features not found on the 02, like the 4-way flashers and the flash to pass high beam, but other than those, everything else should be the same.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline MattMan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »
Hey Paul, sorry for the slow reply.  Haven't spent much time with the bike in a couple weeks due to family crap blah blah lol.  When I yanked that sensor and looked inside the cover the sprocket was shiny and clean, so it doesnt seem like that the problem.  I took the bike to work today though and a new issue developed:

Now my digital gauges are blank and the tachometer is stuck on 1200 rpm's (idle).  It happened right when I pulled into the driveway tonight.  Should I find a BFH and start wacking the damn thing now??  Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Offline MattMan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 07:15:37 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention that cycling the key and starting the bike makes no difference, the tach stays frozen at 1200 and the digital gauges are blank. 

Offline MattMan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 02:02:12 PM »
Another update:  The fuse for the gauges blew for some reason.  I yanked off the seat and popped open the little fuse box behind the tool kit area and checked them all to find one blown.  The speedometer still does not work though.  There is no reason for that gauge fuse to blow unless there is a short somewhere, but I dont see any other frated or pinched wires within the fairing.   :banghead:

Offline MattMan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »
Nevermind.....found a small section of exposed wire grounding against the forks at full lock...still no speedo though  :sad:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 11:31:54 AM »
Didja check the fuse again?  It may have blown close to an edge where you can't see it's bad, so check with a meter or continuity light.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline MattMan

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 06:33:39 PM »
On my way home last night it was very hot (about 95) so i stood up and put one knee on the seat to air out the boys and when I sat back down I had a speedometer again!  Must be a loose connection somewhere.  It is strange, the speedo does work but it is slow to react to hard braking/accelerating.  I'm not sure if my knee's pressure on the seat changed anything, but I'm glad its at least functional now.  The search continues for a pinched wire....

Oh and I repaired the bare wire that was grounding against the forks so no more popping fuses!