Author Topic: Oil and water light problem  (Read 8022 times)

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
Oil and water light problem
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »
Hi everybody!

I have a problem with my bandit gsf 400. when it's on idle the oil and water lights are on but when the engine revs over 4000 then the lights go out. I have plenty of oil and water. The oil is just a bit under the F line. And another problem is that i went riding couple of days ago and on my way home I noticed a big lack of power and then a grinding sound started. When we got back to the garage we took it apart and saw that the camshaft chain has been pushed aside by the chain tensioner so it was rubbing against the side of the engine. Could this be the problem of the chain tensioner when it's placed wrongly and the tip is not in it's right place? And could this explain the lack of power. Also the side covers were farely hot. I mean the starter cover and the gearbox side cover.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Oil and water light problem
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
What is the water light?
Also if your oil light goes on but goes off at 4000rpm it looks like it doesn't have enough oil pressure at idle. Sounds bad

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »
Blah, silly me, it's the temperature light. What could be the problem of the low pressure?

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »
Blah, silly me, it's the temperature light. What could be the problem of the low pressure?
Wait.. so you start the engine in cold state and both the temp lights and oil lights are on after you started the engine?

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 10:09:34 AM »
Yeap, and when it revs above 3-4 thousand it goes away. It's wasn't so before the engine rebuild. It had new rings and top end, new oil and new oil filter. Could it be an electrical problem? Because when I took the camshaft cover off the camshaft was oily and did not have any kind of scratches that would indicate that the oil didn't reach the camshaft

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »
Yeap, and when it revs above 3-4 thousand it goes away. It's wasn't so before the engine rebuild. It had new rings and top end, new oil and new oil filter. Could it be an electrical problem? Because when I took the camshaft cover off the camshaft was oily and did not have any kind of scratches that would indicate that the oil didn't reach the camshaft

Well, as for the temp light - no way it can be too hot right after you start it. Unless it measures oil temperature and it can't measure because of too low pressure

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
could the low pressure be do to the oil filter being filled with the crap from the old oil? And I believe its the engine temperature light, not the oil light. Because it has water cooling and a thermostat.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 10:19:48 AM »
could the low pressure be do to the oil filter being filled with the crap from the old oil? And I believe its the engine temperature light, not the oil light. Because it has water cooling and a thermostat.
Well you said both the temp and oil lights are on?

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:24:06 AM »
Yeap

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285426_2246800692822_1332320563_2577918_7785053_n.jpg

The right light is on and the left light is on. The right one is the oil and the left one is the temp light.

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 02:26:24 AM »
I didnt want to start a new topic. I got an oil pressure gauge and i measured the pressure. It was near zero kpa. 250 kpa@3000rpm should be minimum. I have checked the filter, oil pressure valve etc and every thing seems normal, even the cravkshfts bearings are new. Could the culprit be the oil pump? If yea, then how can i test it?

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »
As for the temperature light:
I have this weird problem..whenever I go on a long trip, suddenly after every cold start the temp light stays on for 2min...even though the engine is still cold.

When I get home, and do shorter trips, this never happens.
Only difference is that on the long trip I charge my mobile using a 12v socket I installed.. I think there's some weird electrical problem.. but everything else works fine.

Offline bandit dk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »
There are o rings fittet between the oil pump and the crankcase, i would check them up, if you remove the oil pump, then by using a compresser set pressure on the oil line you might be able to detect leaks in the system, if you can find som huge leaks any where i would replace the oil pump, before en futere startup

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 02:41:18 AM »
Got it all fixed. It turned out that the gasket that was DIY by my mechanic was a little bit misshaped. As u all know there are 4 oil holes in the bottom cover. The old gasket didn't have any gasket around the 4 holes, the gasket only prevented oil from coming out from between the engine and the cover. Basically what it means is that it was like internal bleeding. From the outside it looked OK, but from the inside it was leaking and no oil got pass the filter. So, this is another thing u learn from DIY.