Author Topic: GSXR K4 Swingarm Swap  (Read 60128 times)

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: GSXR K4 Swingarm Swap
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »
Love the tail section and light!
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2015, 09:45:31 PM »
Yosh rear sets! Where did you get those? Another model bike fits ours?

ooopss...just saw I already asked this question! But lost me cool lookn at your photobucket!

Also, would you consider making a clutch cover case for others for a price?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:04:23 PM by TJS »
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2015, 10:21:50 PM »
What I like is that your eye is pulled from here to there, one minute the frame is popping out at you then your eye is drawn to the wheels then the front forks and so on.. to the point you’ll not quite sure why you like it’ You just do!

It’s the little details that I keep noticing that I like, like the hidden ignition key and all the other bits and pieces of electrics bits hiding away, not to mention the one off bits.

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2015, 04:42:32 AM »
Thanks guys, i'm really happy with it, although i sat and looked and it again yesterday and made another half A4 page list of little things that need properly finishing.

The Yoshi rearsets we're Far East rip offs from a cafe racer place in the UK, hole centres are spot on but it does make it very very uncomfortable, on the list is a pair of jack down plates for them.

I could make another sprocket cover but i'd like to test this one properly first, to be honest it was a make it up as you go along process so its not all that accurate and it's a lot rougher than it looks in the pictures.

I'll try and remember to get a video of the suspension linkage compressing for your TJS, again it needs testing and i think slightly longer dog bones are needed to level the chain run out.

Thanks for your comments and support,  :thanks:

Last little bits to finish up then its on to the next project  :beers:

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2016, 10:07:11 AM »
Hey Everyone, I'm back!  :bandit:

Hope everyone is doing well, Just thought i'd pop in and say hi.

Quick follow up on the Bandit - still got it, sat under a cover in the garage, still not got round to riding it. Needs going through and firing up again really.

At the end of it i started looking at a really daft idea of building a turbo system for it but got distracted after all the hassle i had getting it running right, however.........

I've got another project now, not another Bandit 4 but a GK76a GSXR4.......and this one is a turbo......

Started with just the frame and engine from a gsxr4, added an FZR1000 swingarm, RG125 USD front end, Z400 tail on a one off subframe and a few other bits of fabrication and we're about here.

Still working on the turbo side of it, headers are built and the turbo is hanging, currently working on the airbox plenum and oil and fuel systems

Going to be a while yet before it's up and running but we're going in the right direction.

:beers:

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2016, 03:10:23 PM »
do you plan to use injection too or are you going to modify carbs and/or fuel system in order to be working properly with turbocharged intake?
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2016, 08:01:36 AM »
Hi ventYl

I'm going to modify the carbs and use a fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator for a basic blow through system.

This allows the fuel pressure to rise referenced against the boost pressure.

Just in the process of fitting the pump and regulator.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #97 on: November 07, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
400 turbo?

Am I seeing this correctly? Is there enough exhaust pressure/flow? Can the block even handle it?

Please tell me more

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2016, 06:52:32 AM »
Hi Squishy

Yep 400 Turbo,

I've gone with quite a small turbo to make sure it's within the 400s operating range. Garrett GT1541

It's a full on experiment, no idea how it will end up really.

Bottom end should be fine. Have got a set of stock pistons that have been machined down to give approx 8.5:1 compression ratio (although i still need to measure it properly)

With decent octane fuel we're aiming for 8-10psi of boost which should give somewhere around the 80-90hp mark

Have been plugging away with the plenum chamber and fuel regulator bits

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2016, 06:58:20 AM »
Lol, awesome  :clap:

I assume compressing 10psi boost at 1:11.x stock compression is gonna explode the block :p.
With machined down you mean you made the pistons shorter? how?
Looking forward to seeing more on this project!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 07:05:47 AM by Squishy »

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2016, 07:41:50 AM »
Yep, basically the higher the compression the more likely detonation/pre ignition is under boost.

By dropping the compression ratio and having high octane fuel you can run more boost - more boost = more power - without melting the tops of the pistons.

The GSXR pistons have a sharp crown that runs across the centre and upwards dimple (dunno how else to describe them) that match the underside of the valve heads, which increases the compression by filling more of the combustion chamber.

These were just machined off, only takes a little bit to make a difference. I'm not sure if i have any pictures of the pistons.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2016, 07:47:45 AM »
Yep, basically the higher the compression the more likely detonation/pre ignition is under boost.

By dropping the compression ratio and having high octane fuel you can run more boost - more boost = more power - without melting the tops of the pistons.

The GSXR pistons have a sharp crown that runs across the centre and upwards dimple (dunno how else to describe them) that match the underside of the valve heads, which increases the compression by filling more of the combustion chamber.

These were just machined off, only takes a little bit to make a difference. I'm not sure if i have any pictures of the pistons.
Ah, makes senses.

I do wonder if the 400 won't get very lazy with 8.5:1 compression before the turbo has spooled up

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2016, 07:56:26 AM »
Yes there is the potential for that, although the turbo should start spooling quite quickly being small.

Could make starting an issue, as I said, it's an experiment. I don't know of another one being built - i know several people have started them but not finished

Offline El Gringo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2017, 10:55:55 AM »
Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing well, Sorry it's not Bandit related but i thought i'd update it

Just over a year since my last post about the 400 turbo and i'm happy to say, despite many many many set backs and awkward parts compatibility issues it's alive!

:bandit:

A few pictures of how it sits at the moment

D

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CjU38f]
D

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Zockud]
D

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CjU3Df]
D

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CjU43m]
D

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CjU3Pf]
D

She's been on her maiden voyage, a very sedate short run up the village but it moved under it's own steam, nothing fell off and it doesn't leak (too much)

Next up is to finish up the wiring and get it on the dyno to set it up and see what power it makes

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2017, 11:19:20 AM »
Very nice. Where are the video's though??  :bandit:

I see you've put the 400 engine in a GSX-R frame? Why not 400 frame?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:26:57 AM by Squishy »