Author Topic: GSF1200 1.5 miles smooth then shut off  (Read 6983 times)

Offline bandit23

• New user!
GSF1200 1.5 miles smooth then shut off
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
Hi Forum members. Thank you in advance for all replies and help on this topic.

My issue(s):

My bike will drive for about a mile and a half with no noticeable problems. I can cruise ok, and I can give it up to 25% throttle with decent response. After that it conchs out. It acts like it is running out of fuel. In about 10 seconds of losing power and cruising to stall.

Now the mind boggling part is, I can choke it, and start her right back up and ride for ANOTHER 1.5 miles before it does the same thing.

My recent fixes:
new plugs, air filter,
cleaned carbs (jets not removed)
adjusted floats (they were set to ~19mm, book recommends 13mm +/-2mm, I set them to 14mm); keep in mind I rode the bike for about 9 months/5k unaware of this float setting with no problems
New petcock rebuild; courtesy of K&L parts. I did this to fix a leaking gas (into the crankcase) issue that plagued me for a couple months. This is initially when I looked at the floats on the carbs, and though this was the issue with the leaking gas. If I had know the petcock was the culprit, I would not have done this.

Other adjustments to stock:
Guy before me drilled a 1.5" hole in the airbox, which I have considered plugging.
Claims to have installed a stage 3 jet kit. Guy provided old jets in case with the bike, so probably true
PAIR valve removed along with all the emissions junk that go along with it

My observations/test at shutoff from short ride:

I smell no gas at the muffler.
I drained the floats (1 & 4 anyway), right after it shutoff the last time, and I got a considerable amount of fuel out of the bowls. Enough so that I would think it was not running dry.
The bike will idle for infinity (15 minutes +) without turning off
The shutoff happens sooner if I try to crack the throttle on the bike.

HEEEeeeeelp?? Any extra questions, I can provide answers to immediately

Bike has about 15.5k on it

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: GSF1200 1.5 miles smooth then shut off
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:41:50 AM »
First off....   :welcome: to the site.

Sounds like you've covered all the usual stuff with the exception of two things. 

1) Fuel tank vent hoses.... make sure they aren't pinched off somewhere as this will cause running issues.  Next time it happens pop the gas cap and see if it runs good again.

2) Fuel line routing...  make sure the fuel line is properly routed through the cables to the carbs.  If there's a high spot the fuel won't flow properly. 

Keep us posted on what you find.  Good Luck.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!