Author Topic: Engine stopped with red lights on : overheating protection?  (Read 5939 times)

Offline npa

• New user!
Hi
Today I was a bit more agressive with the bike than usual but I never reached the red line.
After a 1h ride like that (not at once: I did a few stops) I started to feel the engine hesitating at wide open throttle but it was ok when cruising.
A couple of minutes later, the engine stopped at a stop sign and both red lights (oil temp and pressure) turned on (but may be lights where on because the engine had stopped ?).
Anyway, it took me 10min but it then started again and I had no problem going back home fortunately.
Is there an overheating protection that stops the engine if the temperature gets too hot?
Thanks

PS: I had something similar a few month ago: stalling when cruising at 100km/h and never started again, but it was due to the regulator and I had no more issue after I changed it... I hope it's not this stupid regulator again!

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Engine stopped with red lights on : overheating protection?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:18:54 PM »
No, the lights are always on when the engine is not running but ignition is on.

There is no overheating protection. When the bike gets hot, first the fan turns on, and when it gets even hotter the temp light will go on.

I would check the whole in your tank filler cap. If it is dirty your tank can create a vacuum causing a lack of fuel.

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Engine stopped with red lights on : overheating protection?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:38:16 PM »
+1
There's no protection. Such engine stall on STOP sign, especially if you were hard on brakes. If you have aux fuel filter it may be partially clogged. But you may check if radiator fan and/or if temperature fan switch are working properly.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A