Author Topic: carburetor leaking  (Read 10688 times)

Offline redryder

• Board Regular!
carburetor leaking
« on: August 17, 2014, 05:20:23 PM »
The #2 carburetor on my 1998 bandit 1200 is leaking out the two small holes in the bottom of the throat into the air cleaner. I noticed it after synchronizing the carbs. It may have been doing it a while as it has been idling rough. What could be causing this? The carbs had been re-jetted when I bought it.

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
Re: carburetor leaking
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:20:19 AM »
if the carbs are mikuni (which i guess they should be) then most probably some of O-rings in float assembly is not sealing.

if they are keihin with brass needle valve seat then inspect hole for cracks and ovality.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline redryder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »
Thanks. They are Mikuni. Do you know where can I find an o ring kit or a rebuild kit ? Thanks.

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 02:02:59 AM »
dunno, for my GSF400 Mikuni's i bought FPV O-rings one after one in specialized store which sells bearings and O-rings. Sometimes it's trial and error because there is more than one thickness available for one diameter so one has to check if they fit. But the price if so low that only concern is time you spend trying which one fits the best.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline bandit23

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 01:22:31 PM »
Same issue here with leaking carb in #2 Cylinder. Looks like it is coming out of the pilot air screw (on the inlet side of the carb)

I rebuilt all 4 with new seals and cannot for the life of me figure out where to look for the gas leaking through!

Also used K&L's kit to rebuild the petcock, which also, still will not hold gas from leaking through. Am I alone here about K&L's products not working?

I ultrasonic cleaned all the parts and took care with the floats to set the heights right.