Author Topic: Unexpected noise after installing new tires  (Read 6977 times)

Offline Lone_Drifter

• New user!
Unexpected noise after installing new tires
« on: September 05, 2014, 12:19:56 PM »
Hi all. I'm relatively new to bikes, but not to doing my own mechanical work. I picked up my '92 GSF-400 back in November, put a couple thousand miles on it since and realized the tires that came on it were dangerously worn, old & dried out.

I shopped around and decided on a set of Pirelli Sport Demons. Got them mounted/balanced at Cycle Gear, picked them up and reinstalled the wheels onto the bike. After a couple walk-arounds to make sure all the hardware was nice and snug I took it out for a ride to see how the new rubbers felt. I didn't get very far down the road before I noticed a weird (to me) noise coming from the front tire. Could also be coming from the rear for all I know, but obviously I'm in a better position to hear noises coming from the front and not the rear. Anyway, it sounds exactly like the kind of tire noise you'd hear from a pickup truck driving on the street with knobby offroad tires.

I immediately turned around and pulled back into the driveway, put it up on the stand and double, even triple re-checked everything. No clearance/rubbing issues with the brake caliper, rotor, wheel, speedo sensor & wire, fender, et cetera. Front wheel spins pretty freely too, so I concluded it was probably safe to ride. Put about 100 miles on it since then just riding around my neighborhood between 25-50 mph and it feels fine as far as I can tell. But being a bike noob, I'm still a bit worried. Is this kind of noise normal on brand new bike tires? Has anyone ever experience this before? Like I said, I'm pretty confident in my own mechanical work, but being that this, an oil change and a battery swap are the extent of my motorcycle wrenching experience, I wanted to get some feedback from more experienced riders.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Unexpected noise after installing new tires
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:19:15 PM »
Check the slack in the chain, just to make sure it's adjusted correctly. Both too tight, and too loose can cause noises.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Unexpected noise after installing new tires
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »
I'm with pmackie on this (hi Paul!). Start with the chain. I've always had basis chain noises and been fooled into thinking it was coming from the front. The only time I've experienced actual tire noise is from a relatively new dual sport tire.

Get the bike up to speed on a straight flat run, pull the clutch and listen all around. Be careful! That will help isolate the sound.

Good luck.

A