Author Topic: Got the B4 running  (Read 5143 times)

Offline vintagemilano

• TURBO TYPER!
Got the B4 running
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:23:53 AM »
Hi all, I've been lurking here, doing lots of reading as I sort through a 93 gsf400 I got that had been sitting in storage for the last 12 years. Still has the original tires on it. 6000kms on the clock. It's clean but not a museum piece. I finally got it running tonight. Running well anyway, it's been running for a couple of days but would only start with starter fluid.
If anyone has to clean out the inside of a gas tank I highly recommend that metal restore stuff, I was impressed.
When I was trying to figure out the starting issue, also wouldn't idle below two grand, I noticed that two of the four idle mixture screws had zero effect. Off the carbs came yet again. Traced it down to the little port between the main jet and the pilot jet, just above the rubber plug, was gummed up still. Cleaned those out, now starts and idles like a champ.
Sure is a blast to ride, sounds awesome when revving the crap out of it. I'm on the hunt for tires now, trying to choose between BT023 and Avon 55/56's
Sure do appreciate all the technical bits here, wish more people would write back what ended up fixing their problems though…. :-)

Cheers,
1993 GSF400
Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Got the B4 running
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
prepare to change O-rings and float bowl sealing. most probably it will soon start to leak after being dry for 12 years.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline vintagemilano

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Got the B4 running
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:48:07 AM »
I hear ya, I stripped the carbs down already and put litetek kits in them. They were super gummy, just missed that little passageway.
1993 GSF400
Cranbrook, BC, Canada