Author Topic: Bandit 250 project problems  (Read 11390 times)

Offline Nuked114

• Board Regular!
Bandit 250 project problems
« on: November 15, 2014, 07:32:05 AM »
Hi guys i recently bought a Suzuki Bandit 250cc. It's the VS one and from what I understand it's 2000 model.The bike has 40 000km on the clock and she is not in the best shape. The carbs were a mess when i got the bike but it somehow started.
The other day I wanted to start the bike it was standing for a week or so and when i turned the engine over water came out of the exhaust, i took the exhaust off and took out the plugs, a massive amount of water came out of the engine what bothers me though is that the radiator still had all its water in and when i drained the oil there was very little water contamination, after making sure all the water was out and disconnecting the water supply i tried to start it and she roared into life but i  switched the bike off almost immediately
 Does anyone have an idea where the water came from. 
oh and btw im new here sorry for the long post :thanks:

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Bandit 250 project problems
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 07:53:14 AM »
Could be worn cylinder gasket

Offline Nuked114

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »
The head gasket? I can't get the bike to start now it just backfires what is the firing order can anyone tell me please

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »
Well, to begin somewhere basic: gasoline is a hydrocarbon, water vapor is a by-product of gasoline combustion.  That might explain the presence of water in the exhaust. 

Also, are you storing the bike outside?  If you are keeping the bike outdoors, in the weather, have you checked to see if the sparkplug drainage holes are clear?  The cylinder head casting for the Bandit 400 has a drain hole for each sparkplug well.  On my current project bike (Bandit 400) I discovered that these holes had been completely plugged with dirt (at some point in my Bandit's unknown history a mud-dauber species of wasp decided to use the holes as nesting sites, they were all sealed up tight).

Because the Bandit 250 is so closely related to the Bandit 400 I would guess that they both have the same firing order.  The Bandit 400 firing order is: 1,2,4,3 (cylinder 1, then cylinder 2, then cylinder 4, then cylinder 3).

The firing order is actually pretty simple because the Bandit uses "Wasted Spark" ignition.  Wasted Spark means that the sparkplugs fire every 360 degrees of engine rotation.  This means that during the 720 degree cycle of 4-stroke combustion the sparkplug in each cylinder fires at the top of the compression stroke and the top of the exhaust stroke (which is where the term "Wasted Spark" comes from).

and here's a slightly deeper level of information: the Bandits use a standard inline 4-cylinder engine architecture which means the bike has a Flat-Plane crankshaft.  A Flat Plane crankshaft has all of its "throws" arranged in the same geometric plane.  This crankshaft has cylinders 1 & 4 paired to rise and fall together and cylinders 2 & 3 are set 180 degrees out and they are also paired together.

This means that the Bandit engine has two pairs of two cylinders to fire with its Wasted Spark ignition system.  So it has to have two separate coils.

You can figure out the firing order of a Wasted Spark engine simply by looking at the coils and the sparkplug HT wires.  On the Bandit you will see that one of the two coils is connected by HT wires to cylinder 1 and cylinder 4 and the other coil is connected by HT wires to cylinder 2 and cylinder 3.

Because the coil-to-sparkplug HT wires are cut to specific lengths at the factory it's really hard to mess up the firing order.  Also the 12 volt power and ground supply wires to the coils are also factory-installed in the bike's wiring harness so it would be difficult to cross-connect the coils.   
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:09:54 PM by greg737 »

Offline Nuked114

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 04:51:21 PM »
Hi greg737 that information really taught me a lot about bandits and i appreciate it a lot, I saw a bandit 250 in the classifieds today it's in a better condition than mine and i took a chance and asked the guy to swap and he agreed, his bike is also more complete than mine.
The bandit I now have is the GSF 250 R, GJ74A.
There is no spark apparently its the CDI that's giving trouble, can it be fixed or should I just look for a new one
thanks a lot to all the helpful people on the forum, I'm studying to be a mechanic but I'm still learning.

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 06:37:36 PM »
I would say the answers to your 2 questions are: Yes, and Yes.

The Bandit CDI boxes are Denso Corp. products.  They are pretty good quality but the capacitors that were used in their construction are their weak link.  Capacitors age and dry out and eventually cease to function.  Then you're left with a Bandit that might be perfectly fit to run but won't because of a few capacitors.

It has been proven that a moderately skilled individual can open up a Bandit CDI box and identify the capacitors, then remove and re-solder new ones.  Here is a link to a very old thread here on the BanditAlley.net forum which was a discussion between members about how to do the capacitor replacement:  http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=431.0

If you have a dread fear of electrical work and/or no knowledge of the subject then you could always have a qualified electrician do it for you.

Yes, you could search around on sources like Ebay for a replacement CDI but it will be the same age as the one you already have which might mean its capacitors aren't very far from giving up the ghost, and then you're back where you are right now.

I think you may have made a very good call by taking the swap.  It sounds like this new Bandit might have been taken out of service by a simple CDI failure which means it might be very sound and ready to run otherwise.

Good luck with the CDI fix, that's your first order of business.

Also, here's a quote from another BanditAlley.net forum member:

But ignitor may be faulty. Capacitors tend to dry out which decreases their capacity and filtering abilities. I have replaced them on one of my ignitors. This may / may not help.

Another problematic part of original ignitors are final stage high-gain bi-polar transistors which do all the rough work and pass quite a huge currents through ignition coils. These tend to raise their resistance over time which causes to generate more heat and in turn raise the resistance even more until engine stops to work. This causes smaller voltage/current to be applied to ignition coils and thus weaker spark.

Even if spark is present when plug is out of engine it may not be able to crank. Even with brand new plugs. I experienced this once when the only action which helped was to replace the final stage transistors with new ones.

Bad news is that current electronics is using unipolar transistors for high-current switching circuitry so there are no transistors available offering switching capabilities of original parts nowadays. IIRC original transistor had h21e (gain coefficient) of over 500. Current transistors which are available have h21e coefficient at best of 1/3rd of original. In my ignitor darlington-type TIP150 from fairchild worked well and provided enough gain to create spark which is able to run the engine (not only spark out of engine). It is also mechanically and electrically compatible so you do not need to adjust PCB/circuitry or change position of anything inside. Just desolder old and solder new.

If final stage transistors need to be replaced can be examined by connecting terminals to oscilloscope and read voltage between ignitor terminal connected to coil and ground during the phase when transistors are open. Ideally it would be 0 but as the transistors are old they build some resistance which in series with quite a low resistance of ignition coils causes voltage buildup on transistor. I cannot provide figures of what voltage is already bad and which is good but if voltage is different for left / right coil and / or if it is larger than 1V I would replace final stage transistors for new ones.

So this quote is pointing out that it could be that the problem is capacitors Or it could be the big high-power ignitor transistors... or it could be both.  The good news is that both of these items can be diagnosed and replaced (pretty easily by somebody who had the knowledge and skills)

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 04:17:46 AM »
while i was quoted I have nothing more to add maybe except the note that there's no need to fear :) despite the machine is japanese and may look complicated at first sight it is still nothing more than little bit bigger lego technic for old children.

with the recommended transistor be cautious. it worked for me in B400 ignitor and didn't undertake long run tests (as the bike is incomplete, it was run only up to several dozen hours in garage). for different ignitor suitability of mentioned part has to be reevaluated based on original switching parts found there (if they are required to be replaced).
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline Nuked114

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »
Thanks guys luckily I love legos haha, I opened the box and there are two little black pieces with three legs each which i assume is the capacitiors.
I'll try and post a few pics soon.

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 05:49:16 PM »
assumption is wrong. capacitors have two legs. three legged are transistors. two large pieces are most probably final stage switching transistors. electrolytic capacitors which should also be replaced for new are cylinders which are glued together by yellowish something.

while repairing CDI without knowing what you are doing may do more hurt than good you should give it to someone who knows at least basics of electronics to measure and replace what is wrong.

(edit: typo)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:28:28 AM by ventYl »

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 05:59:37 PM »
No, the two little black pieces with three legs are the ignitor transistors (Darlington Transistors).  These are mounted onto an aluminum heat-sink because they handle the high power grounding of the coil's primary winding.

The capacitors are cylindrical in shape and they are mounted in various places around the CDI circuit board.

Did you look at the pictures on the old forum thread?  I think there's a couple of good ones that show the capacitors and where they are located on the CDI circuit board.

It will be interesting to see what you've found inside your Bandit's CDI box (if you're any good at photography, that is...).

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 06:01:06 PM »
Looks like ventYl beat me to the answer... He's right.

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 05:32:51 AM »
We should also not forget that first post mentioned that it is VS (i assume variable cam type). This most probably will have three final stages compared to two on ordinary fix cam models while there have to be one another final stage for cam solenoid. Internal circuitry will be more complicated too while AFAIK it has gear sensor and also TPS.

Offline Nuked114

• Board Regular!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »
Hi guys my friendly neighborhood electrician pointed out that one of the transistors  legs had broken off and it seems that someone had already had a crack at fixing the CDI unit but screwed up majorly still salvageable though.Tried finding a good secondhand one but their quite scarce here it South Africa and the only dealers that have one make ridiculous prices, everything else on bike works excellent.
--ventYl--
I swapped the VS for the older gk73A gsf 250 R

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »
Sounds like you're making progress.  Good to hear that you got a professional's opinion on the CDI box.

Proceeding in this manner will most probably get your Bandit sorted and ready to ride in short order.

Offline Nuked114

• Board Regular!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 05:27:18 PM »
Back again...
My buddy said that one of the models of the Honda hornet 250's CDI is exactly the same as the bandit's, it certainly looks the same but I don't know.
I am fixing a CBR 250RR for a friend the MC22 and his CDI is different but the MC18 or MC17 one looks exactly the same.My CDI is going in to an excellent electrician he said his going to replace all the bits that he can manage to replace and hopefully the IC's aren't blown. I would still like to have a spare CDI just for peace of mind :motorsmile: