Author Topic: Bandit 250 project problems  (Read 11283 times)

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Bandit 250 project problems
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 05:51:18 PM »
The first step: check to see that the trigger wheel on the donor bike matches the Bandit's trigger wheel.  Otherwise the CDI just won't work.

Step number two: check to see that the donor bike CDI doesn't need more inputs than the Bandit's wiring harness has to offer.  Some CDIs from higher-performance versions of late '80s - early '90s carburetor bikes had extra inputs like a water temperature sensor input (the GSX-R400 CDI had one) and/or a throttle position sensor input (the GSX-R400SP CDI had one).

(if you came up with a donor CDI that matched the Bandit 400's trigger wheel but needed a water temperature input you'd be in luck because the Bandit 400's thermostat housing is actually the same item that Suzuki used on the GSX-R400 and GSX-R400SP, so it has the extra port for the secondary water temperature sensor, you'd just have to drill it out and tap threads into it to add the sensor.  I did this modification to my fuel injection project Bandit so I could add a small radiator-bypass coolant line.  Pictures of this modification are in my build thread.)

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 03:47:50 PM »
Also, It seems that the most popular solution for driving coils in the do-it-yourself world is the Bosch BIP373.

This would probably be the best choice if your Bandit CDI box needs new Coil Driver Transistors.

Here's the product and a good bit of information: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/bosch-bip373-coil-driver-mod-kit-p-230.html

The information that is linked on this web-page includes the BIP373 datasheet.  That would be something you'd want to show to the electrician who is working on your CDI box.

The product website is at DIY Autotune of Suwanee, Georgia, USA.  They've been very good to me over the last few years, providing a lot of information and parts at descent prices.  Matt Cramer is their lead fuel injection guy.  He's very accessible and willing to help out.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »
Back again...
My buddy said that one of the models of the Honda hornet 250's CDI is exactly the same as the bandit's, it certainly looks the same but I don't know.
I am fixing a CBR 250RR for a friend the MC22 and his CDI is different but the MC18 or MC17 one looks exactly the same.My CDI is going in to an excellent electrician he said his going to replace all the bits that he can manage to replace and hopefully the IC's aren't blown. I would still like to have a spare CDI just for peace of mind :motorsmile:
What, no. I would be surprised if they were the same. Even different year/country GSF400 have different CDI's.
Even just the redline on both would most likely be different.

Offline Nuked114

• Board Regular!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »
This is my bike

Offline Nuked114

• Board Regular!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »
Hi guys I got the CDI fixed they tested it and its fine but still no spark, The bike's loom is not in the best shape but everything seems intact what else should I look at

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
have you checked the wiring continuity and the connectors for the pulse generator?  its wiring is a bit delicate and it has to go around a couple of tight curves.

Offline Nuked114

• Board Regular!
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 03:33:37 AM »
I took the bike in to an automotive electronic shop to sort it out.