Author Topic: '92 Bandit 400 won't fire  (Read 12779 times)

Offline Fishfried

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: '92 Bandit 400 won't fire
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 11:52:36 AM »
  We pulled the plug and it was a bit dirty.  When I bought the bike the plugs had been taken out, so it was sitting with the plugs out since 2011, maybe its dirty?  The carbs are coming back off next week so a clogged jet will be found if that's the case.  I'll check the HT lead too.

I'd like to know what fuel filter is recommended, now would be a good time to install one since the tank is off.  Any helpful advice for this filter install?  I haven't searched the forum yet, I'll do that too. 

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
Just make sure the filter you choose is intended for use on a gravity fed fuel system. 

In other words, don't make the mistake of installing a fuel filter that is specified for use on a machine that uses a pump anywhere in its fuel system.

We pulled the plug and it was a bit dirty.  When I bought the bike the plugs had been taken out, so it was sitting with the plugs out since 2011, maybe its dirty?  The carbs are coming back off next week so a clogged jet will be found if that's the case.  I'll check the HT lead too.

That's a bit worrying to hear.  Letting an engine sit long-term with the plugs out is asking for corrosion problems. 

While I'm still pulling hard for my racehorse (ignition problem, HT lead) vs. the "it's the carb pilot jet" group, your description makes me wonder if that cylinder might have corrosion that is killing the compression (i.e. the cold cylinder is actually getting the same fuel and spark that the other 3 cylinders have but it doesn't have enough compression to make anything out of it).

Offline Fishfried

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 10:17:49 PM »
Blocked Pilot Jet 99.9% Guaranteed

Mines has done it 3 times, now have a filter fitted

I think I want to add a fuel filter.  The tank is rust free but has some varnish spots in the bottom.  I worry if it is not done perfectly and some gunk gets left in the tank I'll be back to getting the carbs cleaned again.  I can't find online the fuel line size and manual & bike are at the mechanic's shop.  Is it 5/16"? 

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 05:20:25 AM »
it should be standard 8mm fuel line
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 07:26:39 PM »
Just make sure the filter you choose is intended for use on a gravity fed fuel system. 

How would one recognize a gravity fed filter?
I assume the simple ones are gravity fed?
Like this?

Offline Fishfried

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 07:16:36 PM »
It was a blocked pilot jet.  Mechanic installed the factory pro stage 3 jet kit, all new lite tek gaskets, and K&N pod filters.  Tank and petcock cleaned.

Happy to have it in my garage.  I'm going to get it cleaned up and probably put a new muffler on it soon.

Thanks for everybody's input and help in getting it running!

Here is a link to a short video of the bike http://youtu.be/fTGY9qVfLKs

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 10:59:40 PM »
That is a very good looking Bandit!

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 08:56:10 AM »
It was a blocked pilot jet.  Mechanic installed the factory pro stage 3 jet kit, all new lite tek gaskets, and K&N pod filters.  Tank and petcock cleaned.

Happy to have it in my garage.  I'm going to get it cleaned up and probably put a new muffler on it soon.

Thanks for everybody's input and help in getting it running!

Here is a link to a short video of the bike http://youtu.be/fTGY9qVfLKs
Sounds like it needs a bit of carb balancing at the end..

Offline Fishfried

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 03:14:13 PM »

Sounds like it needs a bit of carb balancing at the end..
[/quote]

I took that video when it was about 32 degrees F outside.  I ran it last weekend, it was about 55 F and it ran great.

I cut the covers that go over the air filters so they can fit with the K&N filters.  I'm pretty happy with the result.  The muffler is new too, I cut up a Ducati 848 muffler that I found salvaged.  It was a lot of work but cost less than $50 dollars.  A fun project.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 06:21:09 PM »
Will be worth checking that the spark plug water holes are clear.
They are in front of the plugs in the head and exit just near the exhaust ports.
The fact that it originally cut out on rain could be because water cannot get out of the plug holes.