Author Topic: Current value of a GFS400  (Read 6000 times)

Offline Fishfried

• TURBO TYPER!
Current value of a GFS400
« on: March 22, 2015, 12:18:34 PM »
With less than 100 miles of riding my Bandit I have a a couple people ask if I'd sell it.  Yesterday while on the trailer a guy asked me at a stoplight how much I'd take for it.  I'm a bit surprised so many folks recognize the bike. What would you expect to see a 1992 GFS400 gor for $, stock (mostly) good condition, 7,000 miles.

Good ride this morning, rode untill my fingers got numb, about 40 degrees here in Indiananpolis. :motorsmile:

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Current value of a GFS400
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 03:00:37 PM »
Everybody wants something for basically nothing. Be prepared to sit on the bike for awhile; if you ask anywhere near $1,800 -$2,000. Even mint! People fail to realize how great these bikes are! Regardless, a bike over 20yrs old is going to need a serious going over with new seals, bearings, cables, hoses, fluids, tires, sprockets, valves, carb clean and sync, etc...etc.. Even if you do the work, people don't want to pay enough that would even cover your parts.
That being said, I have sold things below my investment just cause it was time to let it go and move on.
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 04:42:14 PM »
I haven't seen a running bandit around here lately  There was a running b4 on  ebay (member on here) that sold for $400.  I have sold one with no title for the same price. but was not 100% running. needed carb cleaning but  everything thing was there on bike.  I bought it for the works shock and HID head light kit.
Maybe this will help.
I'd probably say if it was in really good shape  it MIIIIIGHT get you $1200.

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:49:51 PM »
So the answer to the question (What is the current value of a GSF400?) is this: 

Because they are so old and rare they are no longer easily priced as a mere "commodity".  Instead, pricing is subject to other much more individualistic forces; i.e. a combination of novelty and nostalgia and specific personal preference.

Somebody buying your B4 as simply a "used motorcycle" and expecting to treat it as such is a sad thing to imagine, especially if the buyer is a no-mechanical-skills-whatsoever poser-type who only sees it from a "that's cool, I'd look good on that" perspective.

Keeping a B4 in proper running condition is well beyond the mechanical skill level of most people today (just due to the carbs alone, not to mention the necessity of the ongoing refurbishment-type maintenance already referenced in this thread).  Any person in the used motorcycle market for "transportation" should look at other available options.  The act of selling your B4 to such a person would be doing a great disservice to the bike.

Especially because you could probably get a better sale price by offering it to the people who really know and love the B4.

Offline Fishfried

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »
  All good replies, thanks.  I'm not in a hurry to sell the bike yet.  Like mentioned, there is a lot of maintenance and work involved in keeping a 20 year old bike in proper running order and I'm not too versed in motorcycle maintenance.   I had to pay someone to do all the mechanical work so that cost I probably won't recoup, I didn't buy the bike thinking it was an investment anyways.  Was a fun winter time project, from digging it out of that guys barn to seeing it fire up for the first time in years.   

Adding up the receipts for parts, labor etc I'm in at about 1,800 bucks.  I'd take that today from anyone on this board, but like a previous post said, I'll never get that.  I'm not going to advertise locally, at least not anytime soon.  I'll ride it for a few months and sell it for a few hundred bucks less.  PM me and I can give details on the bike if you happen to be interested.   Think I'll take it for a spin around the neighborhood right now!

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 06:30:51 PM »
For what it's worth... over here they go for about €750-€1250, depending on mileage.