Author Topic: 400 Limited edition colors  (Read 9410 times)

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
400 Limited edition colors
« on: April 16, 2015, 04:27:06 AM »
Hi Guys

Since the biggest of my mechanical worries seem to be sorted out it is time to focus on the paint. I am still deciding if I am going to spray it myself or not.

I have decided on going with original colours for the limited "Bandit V" model. Mine however is the one without the "V")

It used to have the blue and silver paint job (But has already been sanded down by the previous owner). I prefer the Red and Black mix, so would like to go that route. My problem however is the red used. Was it metallic? Is it actually burgundy? The pictures I find (there are  not so many around) all seem to have different shades of red/burgundy.

Does anyone have one of these with the original paint work still? I would be grateful if you could help me out with the actual colours. Luckily I have the fairing

The rims will be black on the inside with a polished lip

Project: Suzuki Bandit 400 Limited Edition, either a '90 or '91 needs a lot of TLC

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 400 Limited edition colors
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:40:03 AM »
I guess I am going to have to try and judge from the pictures I can find...

I take it this colour combination is scarce?
Project: Suzuki Bandit 400 Limited Edition, either a '90 or '91 needs a lot of TLC

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »
There's hardly any info on gsf400 paint codes.

Maybe this helps
http://www.slideshare.net/hector_1988/suzuki-farbcode1

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:11:08 AM »
Squishy to the rescue again   :beers:

According to that the red can't be metallic, as none are listed as metallic. It could however be Chinese maroon which is metallic...

Thank you! That will help me

EDIT - After looking into it a little more it must be Chinese Maroon  :thanks:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:13:53 AM by Gouraami »

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 12:19:08 PM »
The more expensive models 'VC'  'LTD' are usually a very fine light metallic, the sort that isn't obvious unless you are next to them.

I have a VVC model and in its original finish was black wiith a very fine red and blue metallic that only caught the light as you moves around it.
I have a spare VVC frame from the maroon with silver/gold fame and the maroon is silvered met and also the frame.

The ltd will definitely have the same finishes.

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 06:45:11 AM »
Thanks Chris, will see what I can match at the paint shop

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 05:09:46 PM »
You will find. A staggering array of metallic blacks at a good paint supplie,

Thing to do is pick the red and then match the flakes in the black to the red, so you could have a red only metallic or say a red and silver,

only difficulty with metallics is they are base coat only so you need to clear coat AND importantly need to clear coat before the base cures.
If you get all your graphics ready you can clear coat the lot! very nice.

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 04:23:20 AM »
importantly need to clear coat before the base cures.

Thanks Chris H, I didn't know that!

With my previous previous bike the clear coat came out yellow, spoiling the entire job. Do you think this was from spraying it only after the base had cured?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
Not sure why it would yellow, did you use any thinners with the clear, you need a high quality thinner in the top coat, you can then clean out with cheap stuff.

Maybe a miss match in the paints.

Basically you can clear straight after you base coat but if you are not 100% confident in your spraying its best to give it half an hour until its firmed off,
this will give good cross bonding in the paint.

Offline Guido_Brasletti

• TURBO TYPER!
  • Bandit 400 limited
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 10:51:50 AM »
Hi Guys

Since the biggest of my mechanical worries seem to be sorted out it is time to focus on the paint. I am still deciding if I am going to spray it myself or not.

I have decided on going with original colours for the limited "Bandit V" model. Mine however is the one without the "V")

It used to have the blue and silver paint job (But has already been sanded down by the previous owner). I prefer the Red and Black mix, so would like to go that route. My problem however is the red used. Was it metallic? Is it actually burgundy? The pictures I find (there are  not so many around) all seem to have different shades of red/burgundy.

Does anyone have one of these with the original paint work still? I would be grateful if you could help me out with the actual colours. Luckily I have the fairing

The rims will be black on the inside with a polished lip

I havent logged on for a long time. Just happened to do so today and saw this.
I own a red/black 1990 GSF400Z (not V model) since 1999 and also bought a second one I intended to restore, but almost 5 year later I havent found the space, money and time for it (having two children in the meantime didnt help either).

The color was metalic for both the black and the red and the exact color is shown I believe in the second photo that was posted. I had mine repainted a few years ago, I will find some pictures to post here if you are interested. Dont forget the gold stripe and of course the "70 years aniversary" badge on the tank.

Good luck with the project.

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 11:28:53 AM »
Thank you Guido

I am considering spraying it only black at the moment, I am concerned about the curing/clear coat time. I am worried that I am going to take too long to spray the gold and burgundy afterwards, resulting in the clear coat not bonding correctly.