Author Topic: Gouraami's 400 bandit project  (Read 47060 times)

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Gouraami's 400 bandit project
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 03:55:24 PM »
I want that kind of tree which grows bandit parts too! Where are seeds available?

I've had several bolts broken off too. On both machines. I've broken them personally and I don't remember to apply excessive torque. I assume that the material used was too soft or vibrations made them fragile over the period of 20 years.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 04:02:40 AM »
 :rofl: hahaha, I wish trees like that were available!

That is interesting, I think you are onto something about the cyclic stress on the bolts...
Project: Suzuki Bandit 400 Limited Edition, either a '90 or '91 needs a lot of TLC

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 04:20:06 AM »
i am in process of changing them one by one. first in the queue are the screws at the bottom of carbs. i am changing those which' carbs need to be opened to be cleaned again and again. so far 2 of 4.

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 06:26:44 AM »
Are you changing to allan caps?
Project: Suzuki Bandit 400 Limited Edition, either a '90 or '91 needs a lot of TLC

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 06:30:47 AM »
yes, matching screw with allen head type uses same allen key as the one used for side airbox covers. so you are sure you have the right tools always with you if you decide to take your carbs off on a nice sunny day and clean them :)

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 06:46:06 AM »
When I was working on my carbs often some of the screws were allan caps. I found them annoying as it would take longer to remove (can't turn as fast) and I had to go find an allen key (the most annoying part  :duh:).

I ended up swapping them out for screws, just saved time.

Stainless allan caps would look prettier though... I might change the ones you can see from both sides once everything is sorted

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:18 AM »
the matching allan key should be placed in retainer at the bottom side of driver's seat in order to be able to remove passenger's seat (to get access to tools placed therein) and airbox side covers as part of fuel tank removal process.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 09:01:06 AM »
Most people prefer the allen heads over screws because they are less likely to strip. The original philips heads work great if you use the proper tool, but I've seen way to many carbs with them completely mangled from using the wrong sized bit.

These are your friend for speed.

Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »
the main problem with these phillips screws is that they in fact are not phillips screws.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
When I was working on my carbs often some of the screws were allan caps. I found them annoying as it would take longer to remove (can't turn as fast) and I had to go find an allen key (the most annoying part  :duh:).

That's not true you just need to have the swapable ones that you can put on your screwdriver or ratchet.

Most people prefer the allen heads over screws because they are less likely to strip. The original philips heads work great if you use the proper tool, but I've seen way to many carbs with them completely mangled from using the wrong sized bit.

These are your friend for speed.

Ah, I meant these :P ^

The original philips heads work great, in 1995. But not in 2015. 
Even if you use the proper tool, most screws are simply so stuck that the head will spin (since that's how philips screws are designed to prevent over torquing).

I've replaced pretty much all bolts and screws needed to remove tank/carbs/airfilter/battery with allens. Just carry 2 allen keys :).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:56:34 PM by Squishy »

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
As ventYL was trying to point out in an earlier post to this thread:  There are no Phillips head screws on the Bandit.  None... nada... not a single one.

They are JIS head screws (Japanese Industrial Standard).  They are not designed to interface properly with a Philips type screwdriver.

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 03:29:03 PM »
to make it more interesting, there are even DIN cross-type head screws and something in ostblock was used. My 30 yrs old NAREX cross-type screwdriver fits pretty good into JIS type screws. Newer NAREX screwdriver does not (maybe due to change from ostblock standard to DIN/ISO standard?)

at all the names are funny (not that much funny for one used to use them)

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »
The ones in the braking reservoir seem like regular philips screws to me

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 04:32:10 AM »
I don't have one of those ratchet/swap able screwdriver  :annoy:

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Finally had some time and motivation to work on the bike again.

Had to fabricate new clock rubbers, mine were missing. Ended up using a door rubber seal from a mini and cutting it to the required size.

I then started removing the paint from the completely failed paint job mentioned in  a previous post. It still has not set, it is soft when you push your nail into it. This made it a nightmare to remove. I'm still busy with it at the moment.

I tried sanding initially, but it simply clogs the sand paper:

After a whole lot of work and many hours. I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy  :annoy:

This is the dent they made:

Getting there, slowly but surely: