Author Topic: Gouraami's 400 bandit project  (Read 47426 times)

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Gouraami's 400 bandit project
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice Squishy, I am not sure if it is going to pass roadworthy with the current "silencer" on, it really is very loud,  I might have to change it temporarily till the bike is in my name.

I should take a picture of the silencer...

The needle is currently on +1 rich, I just need to order some main jets!  :motorsmile: You can never go wrong with a bit more power
Yeah.. mine is too loud as well without silencer.. But with 110 main and +1 rich needle, the silencer really negates the extra power... you're gonna need a silencer that gives a bit of back pressure and dampens the sound a little bit, but still allows enough air to pass.

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2015, 03:55:21 AM »
, but this time open all the banjo bolts instead of opening the nipple

Now that is a bloody good idea!!  :thumb: I am definitely going to give that a try

I tried this last night on the banjo's, it is a little bit better, there must have been some air stuck in the double banjo (that link the calipers) as this is the one that made the difference. Very slight, but still an improvement. I can however still get the lever to the handlebar. I bled the system again as well afterwards, no air coming out. I have left the lever cable tied to the bar overnight, but I am going to accept the feel for the mean time. I am sure that after some use they will improve. I will bleed them again after 1000km of use.
Project: Suzuki Bandit 400 Limited Edition, either a '90 or '91 needs a lot of TLC

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2015, 05:36:39 AM »
Another thing you can try is to let it bleed on it's own for some time. Like slightly open bleeding nipple and continuously adding fluid. The very slight flow might take bubbles out of pipes.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2015, 05:51:37 AM »
There is a better chance of turbulent flow moving any bubbles, but I will give this a go at the 1000km bleed. I am not going to bother with it at the moment, I need to concentrate on the things that I need to get the bike on the road. The brakes are currently good enough, they just don't let me feel confident in them.

It is a brilliant day outside to spray  :grin: but i'm sitting at work  :rant2: . Poor weather predicated for the weekend
Project: Suzuki Bandit 400 Limited Edition, either a '90 or '91 needs a lot of TLC

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2015, 07:57:44 AM »
, but this time open all the banjo bolts instead of opening the nipple

Now that is a bloody good idea!!  :thumb: I am definitely going to give that a try

I tried this last night on the banjo's, it is a little bit better, there must have been some air stuck in the double banjo (that link the calipers) as this is the one that made the difference. Very slight, but still an improvement. I can however still get the lever to the handlebar. I bled the system again as well afterwards, no air coming out. I have left the lever cable tied to the bar overnight, but I am going to accept the feel for the mean time. I am sure that after some use they will improve. I will bleed them again after 1000km of use.
Don't forget to do all banjo's, going top to bottom. For example if you have a mid section they have banjo's too.. and the banje on the brake caliper.

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2015, 08:02:57 AM »
I did them all Squichy, the middle one reaped the best rewards, thanks for this advice by the way

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »
It has been a  frustrating 2 weeks.

Lets start with progress  :grin:

Adjusted the pilots to 1.75 turns out, the hesitation when blipping the throttle is 90% gone. I didn't take it for a ride however, so not sure if it is going to rev cleanly or not when there is load on it. It will be fine for the moment, will definitely be ride able. I am going to tick this one as complete. If necessary I will get back to this after roadworthy.

Revisited repairing the side panels. I used a product called Q-bond. Firstly I opened up the cracks (only picture of one panel, the repair was the same on both):

After I added the product, the next step will be to plastic prime and primer.

Are these the only productive things I have done in the past two weeks  :sad:

Moving on to things that have been counter productive.

Oil leakage - The manual says to put sealant on the gasket's half moons where the cams are. I didn't so I need to redo that, the one is leaking. To myself: RTFM  :duh:
I also haven't got around to fixing the cover.

I attempted to epoxy the tank. Unfortunetly the product failed. This is the before picture:

I can't seem to find the after pictures, but I know they are somewhere. You are supposed to have around 2 hours to move the product around the tank and to pour out the remainder. In my case it cured in around 30 mins, all in the one corner. Unfortunately it cannot be removed, the tank is now heavier and has less volume. Two sides were also not covered. I phoned the distributor, he is not sure what went wrong, and cannot give me an answer but did offer to redo the tank to cover the rest of it. It is going to be even heavier when it gets back  :sad: :sad: He added that he has never seen the product fail in this way. Just my luck.
I am not getting great service out of him either, I was supposed to have the tank back last week already. I hope he hasn't dropped it :roll:
I will edit this post once I have found the pictures, I stuck a webcam in the filler hole.

The one braided hose I ordered is leaking. I have received ok (I can't say good as originally they sent me two different looking ones) service from them, they are sending me another one.

Other service issues: I ordered a front brake switch, received acrylic nails instead and still haven't received my bar end mirrors, they are going to resend it.

I think that is it for this update...

Edit - one more thing, I had to redo the corner of the tank again, turns out there was more hidden damage
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:08:57 AM by Gouraami »

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2015, 09:10:33 AM »
acrylic nails?!
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »
acrylic nails?!

Yip, I don't seem to have good luck  :shrug:

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2015, 09:25:43 AM »
Hm I don't know, the tank epoxy solution I'm familiar with says you need to move and mix the liquid around the tank in the first 15-20 minutes, as the harding process fully starts after about 45min!

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
Hm I don't know, the tank epoxy solution I'm familiar with says you need to move and mix the liquid around the tank in the first 15-20 minutes, as the harding process fully starts after about 45min!

The instructions that were printed that I received with mine is different. I'm sure it is a different product

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »
More counter productive updates:

Tank: My tank is still at the tank epoxy distributor. Excuse after excuse. It has been two weeks now. I was there at the start of the week to inspect his redo job. There were still spots that were not covered. I then became angry as I left a laptop with a webcam with him to inspect the job once he was done. He didn't bother as "I was sure I did it properly"  :banghead: When I dropped it off I told him I don't want to waste time and money by having to leave it by him again. Sigh. He is also starting to ignore my phone calls and messages, his attitude seems to be that he is doing me a favor. I still can't find the after pics I took once it failed, it must be on the laptop that is by him.

Brake Lines: I found that the other braided hose that was supplied is also leaking. They are going to send me another one. I asked them to TEST it before they send it. Lets hope that was done.  :roll: Don't worry about all those rusted bolts and allen caps, I will replace them with stainless once the bike is ride able.

I finally got around epoxying the engine cover. Not tested yet, I must still get it back on the bike properly. I am hoping to do it after work today and seal the cam cover, but I am sure the girlfriend is going to object   :sad: The usual response: "You only spend time on the bike and never with me  :gloom: "

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:11:54 AM by Gouraami »

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2015, 11:01:07 AM »
I am currently sitting 1700km from my bandit. Work work work.

I was finally able to collect the tank the day before I left. Once again people take no pride in their work. The tank was finally fully coated (I have pics back at home) but the guy messed epoxy on the outside and the tank is scratched, at some places back to the primer. Luckily I need to spray the tank so I can sand out the scratches, but if it was newly sprayed it would have led to another argument.

My mirrors never arrived, so I had to order another set  :rant2:

I will hopefully be back home by the 23rd of December to continue with the bike.

Offline Gouraami

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2016, 02:09:11 PM »
Hey everyone, finally getting back to the bike. I haven't touched it in around two months! Life has been keeping me away from it, but not going to explain here, this is a bike forum!. I really need to start getting this project done. To do that, I need to be less fussy and get it roadworthy. I can worry about the small things at a later stage. In four months time it is winter again.

I finally found the pictures for inside of the tank: (Apologies about the picture quality, that is the highest resolution the webcam does.)

This is the front right, where everything was going smoothly:

The right side, still going well

Then the problems began as it started to set:

The front left side where it cured in the front corner:

The rear:

The left side:

There are a few more updates from the past weekend but I am out of time, will update again when I have a chance

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2016, 11:58:44 AM »
If you can get it all out; try just using Meal Rescue for a couple of days, rinse with non-eth gas, new petcock screen and maybe a fuel filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WuU1F2VLoI

More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369