Author Topic: 2 cylinders fail from time to time  (Read 12623 times)

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 2 cylinders fail from time to time
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 06:11:40 PM »
I'm surprised it ran at all!

To remove the slide holder you must remove the slide and the float holder then unwind the main jet one turn and push it inwards with your thumb, the emulsion tube will move upwards,
Continue unwinding the main jet and pushing it inward until the emulsion tube is lose.
Sometimes the slide holder pops out but usually only the emulsion tube.
After this you can put your fingers into the front of the carb and push the slide holder up and out,  not easy!
When rebuilding remember the emulsion tube only goes one way around due to a cut-out.
Be careful not to damage the slide holder when refitting due to over tightening the main jet.

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 06:19:19 PM »
it had terrible starting problems yesterday and the no 1 cylinder only fired at around 6+ rpm, it was that lean, that also explaned the sucking sound.
But, i still wonder why these manifolds broke. these were pretty decent, when i got them from ebay, i only replaced the stock clamps. I think that overtightening the clamps broke them, so i used the original ones, im going to see how long they are going to last.

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 06:25:32 PM »
my bandit stopped running on all four last sunday but i still had no time to see what is wrong. i only checked the spark plug if it is not cracked. maybe i overtightened them too :/ i have to check it.

btw I am missing the crucial point in my latter post: you have to get the main jet out before trying to get the slider holder out.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 11:15:03 PM »
Glad to see that you've discovered what's wrong with your Bandit.

It's funny, that's the exact same failure that used to happen on the SPICA Fuel Injection equipped Alfa Romeo cars.  Leaks would develop in the hard rubber connectors between the fuel injection manifold and the cylinder head, which caused the engine to run really poorly (due to lean mixture). 

People used to get angry and pull all the SPICA fuel injection equipment off the car and install Weber carbs.  And because the Weber carbs use a different connector to the cylinder head the original cause of the problem would get fixed quite by accident.

Congratulations on figuring out your problem.  Now you can get the bike back in shape.

Offline ventYl

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »
today; finally i had some time to look why bandit runs on three cyls. not a catastrophic scenario, "just a dirt" in pilot jet.
Bandit 400 1991 - stock except of swap from GK75B to GK75A