Author Topic: '91 Bandit VC - Summer carb teardown  (Read 12210 times)

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: '91 Bandit VC - Summer carb teardown
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »
You getting there for sure! These are great bikes, once you set the carbs up! When you have some spare cash, order the Long Boy air mix screws from Factory Pro. They make adjustments much easier! Also, sync up the carbs. The cheap way is to try the "Bench Sync" method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nwP6R1P58A

More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 11:10:47 PM »
Details and pics for the Ti pipe..please!
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369

Offline T2098

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 11:35:28 PM »
I actually had the bike dynoed and it's spectacularly rich everywhere - more so in the midrange peaking at 15% CO on the Factory Pro dyno, tapering down to 7% CO or so near redline.  I ordered a brand new set of US-spec emulsion tubes from Suzuki that just arrived, so i'm going to try installing those this weekend as the Factory Pro needles were designed with those in mind.  If that still doesn't work, I might just utter some expletives, go back to stock jetting and airbox and sell the K&N individual filters and the Factory Pro Config 30 kit to someone with a USDM bike and the 32mm carbs it was meant for. :)

The Ti pipe is from Beet and was bought from Yahoo! Japan auctions using www.buyee.jp - a very convenient broker/buyer service that bids on stuff for you and re-ships it from Japan to wherever in the world.

Ended up being pretty expensive - $400ish USD when all was said and done, but it's gorgeous, weighs nothing, and sounds fantastic.

Pics and more info including weight in my other thread:

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=13916.0

Offline T2098

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 12:01:44 AM »
Oh, and I finally scanned my dyno printouts.  Factory Pro dynos are normally 'heartbreakers' at the best of times, but a completely stock '91 USA-market bike with 59HP at the crank had dynoed at 49-50HP before, so I'm definitely down on power after the carb rebuild, installing the pod filters, and the Factory Pro Config 30 kit, which is not surprising given how rich it was running.

First off is with the stock CDI module.  Unfortunately even when I bought the bike, it had a hard rev limit of 11,800rpm or so in all 6 gears, which equates to exactly 180km/hr on the tach.  I have a second spare '91 VC ignition module, and it does the same thing, so clearly the CDI isn't defective.  Unfortnately all of my attempts to 'derestrict' the damn thing have failed, so my stock CDI dyno printouts end at ~12krpm.

38.57HP.  Ugh.  Stock is the curve with the higher power and ending at 12k.

Next up is the Chinese aftermarket CDI.  Given that they only made the 'unrestricted' 59HP VC Bandit 400 for one year, I'm amazed that they actually make a legitimate replacement ECU from scratch.   As far as I can tell it does properly actuate the VC mechanisms when it should, and it certainly does remove the rev limit.

... unfortunately, it also makes less power than the stock CDI does at all RPMs with weak 25-year old caps does, so it's not particularly helpful.   Maybe if my fueling was spot on it'd be better, but at least from this comparison it's no help on the power front - it makes .2HP more when revved to 13k and 14k than the stock CDI did at 12k, but that's still not much help.  It's the dyno run on the right that goes up to 14krpm, obviously.

Having said that, 91 VC CDIs are very hard to come by, so if someone has a bike that is completely dead and can't find a spare, I can attest that they definitely do work, although they make the bike considerably harder to start from cold as well.   It was about $140 shipped direct from China from aliexpress, but they sell them on eBay too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:05:39 AM by T2098 »

Offline T2098

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 12:12:10 AM »
Also, for those not familiar with Factory Pro's 4-gas analysis, the picture below shows how CO% is related to air/fuel ratios.  For my bike, the 8-9% CO reading near peak power corresponds to between 10:1 and 11:1 AFR (ew!) and the ~15% CO in the midrange from 3k-7k rpm corresponds to somewhere around 7.5:1 to 8:1 AFR (double ew!)

I'm amazed it actually runs cleanly without misfiring, but you can clearly tell that it's fluffy and 'fat' running compared to how it was before with the stock carb parts and the airbox/snorkel.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 06:58:36 PM »
Forgive me if I miss something as I write this after only reading the last two posts but are you saying the bike is still restricted to 180 kph.
It's a very simple fix to derestrict the cdi.

Restriction is only controlled via the resistance the cdi receives from the gear sensor so you disconnect the green/yellow wire from the sensor to the CDI, connection is under the seat.
The end from the gear sensor is left loose.
Between the CDI end and the frame you fit a 1.5k ohm resistor and the restriction is gone, its that simple.

Offline T2098

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 07:03:42 PM »
Thanks Chris - I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong, as I've done that and double and triple checked my soldering - the bullet connector from the wire I made reads dead on 1.5k ohm to ground.   Still restricted in all 6 gears.

Even if I plug the bullet connector back into the wire going to the gear selector, it still restricts in all 6, not just in the top 3 gears <sigh>

This weekend i'll try to trace the wiring from the bullet connector to the actual CDI itself, but if it's good, then I don't know what else to try, seeing as it does the same thing with two OEM CDI modules.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »
There's definitely no other restriction.
Ive had mine on the dyno on more than one occasion and the resistor removes the 180 limit.