Author Topic: 250V Rattling noise (Link inside)  (Read 6238 times)

Offline mossmuddy

• First Post! Be Gentle!
250V Rattling noise (Link inside)
« on: July 09, 2015, 12:59:06 PM »
Hey fellas..

So I recently noticed a rattle noise coming from my baby bandit. It's constant at idle but when given a few revs it'll quiet down but with speed up becoming quieter but still noticeable to a good ear. I've had multiple opinions from mechanics from blown engine to just cam chain. The bike still starts though and I'm able to ride it up and down my driveway fine.. Oil level is probably a third full which I am changing soon once my oil and filter comes in other than that all other fluids are topped.

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAMh_GmCIL4

Cheers.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 250V Rattling noise (Link inside)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 02:50:48 PM »
Wow.
That just happened out of nowhere?

It could very well be the cam chain (tensioner) but it would be a very bad case as it's pretty loud from what I can tell from the video.

If it would be e.g. a broken/worn big-end bearing or bend/out-of-clearance valve then it would increase with more power/more RPM.
If it disappears when pulling then the cam chain tensioner is a good contender.
My 400 rattled too (though not nearly as loud as this) and I replaced the automatic tensioner with a manual one from ebay and it's been fixed for 20.000KM (didn't even adjust it afterwards).

Does anything change when you pull in the clutch at idle? or let it idle in 1st gear on the center stand?

Offline greg737

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:51:15 PM »
That idle doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder engine.  It sounds like a 2 cylinder engine.

I own a Kawasaki EX-250 which is an inline 2 cylinder (180 degree crankshaft) and its idle sounds just like your video.

Are you sure your Bandit is hitting on all 4 cylinders while idling?  You can put your hand behind the exhaust pipe and feel the pulses.  And also check to see if all 4 header pipes are heating up evenly.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 04:07:05 PM by greg737 »

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »
That idle doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder engine.  It sounds like a 2 cylinder engine.

I own a Kawasaki EX-250 which is an inline 2 cylinder (180 degree crankshaft) and its idle sounds just like your video.

Are you sure your Bandit is hitting on all 4 cylinders while idling?  You can put your hand behind the exhaust pipe and feel the pulses.  And also check to see if all 4 header pipes are heating up evenly.
I think it's because the knocking sound is louder than the actual idle sound. If you listen carefully it sounds like a 4 cylinder

Offline t6nis

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:20:18 PM »
check the camshaft valve clearance, if it wears out, it starts to rattle to.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:55:38 PM »
Sounds quite ill.
Get  a long handled screwdriver and hold the handle to your ear whilst touching the other end against different parts of the engine and try and pinpoint the noise, works well and you will have a better idea of what's wrong.
Find I it's top button or sides etc.

Offline yuckhil

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:56:02 AM »
Hi, did you identify the cause of this noise?  Thanks.
2000 GSF250VY

Offline pawnee

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 10:50:10 PM »
Sounds quite ill.
Get  a long handled screwdriver and hold the handle to your ear whilst touching the other end against different parts of the engine and try and pinpoint the noise, works well and you will have a better idea of what's wrong.
Find I it's top button or sides etc.

This works good.