Author Topic: Replace Tach Light  (Read 9187 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Replace Tach Light
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:06:48 PM »
Replace Tach Light
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just ordered a replacement light for my tach, $2.20. For my 98 B12 S.

I am little confused by the counter guy, he indicated that there were two lights, but only order one?

How does the cap come of the bottom of the tach? Is there a screw in the hole in the bottom?

Can I change this out without removig the fairing?

any advise is appreciated.

John 98 Red B12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noel Preston
(6/7/03 8:14 pm)
Tacho light

Chrome cover is held in place by phillips head screw in centre of cover. Cover is easily removed without taking fairing off. You can even do it with the screw driver supplied in the tool kit. You may have to turn the bars to get a more favourable position. There is only one globe in the tacho, however there are two in the speedo. The globes for the speedo and tacho are different. The speedo globes are about half the size of the tacho globe and about half the wattage. The wattage specified appears to only be available from the dealer. I buy mine from an auto electrician, sligktly higher wattage and about quarter of the price.
LowRyter
(6/11/03 8:29 pm)
Re: Tacho light

I cant get that cap off to save my life !

can't see it (bifocals)

can't feel it with a screw driver.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Noel Preston
(6/12/03 2:43 am)
Tacho light

The screw is in the centre of the cover. Get a mirror and you will see it. If you think this one is difficult wait till you try the speedo cowl.
PeteSC
(6/12/03 4:31 am)

I bought a comparable bulb for the tach at a local Autozone or Advance autoparts store. Take the old bulb with you and match up the base, general size, and wattage with the stuff that's hanging up blister packaged. I even found red tinted bulbs that worked.......
LowRyter
(6/14/03 4:38 pm)

Finally !

Snake light and a box of screw drivers I found one with enough clearance. The bifocals don't help !

You say the Speedo is worse? Oh no.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)