Author Topic: Max weight and suspension mods  (Read 10432 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Max weight and suspension mods
« on: March 12, 2005, 12:07:33 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cpyguy69
(9/30/01 10:01 am)

I recently jumped from a 600 to 1200 bandit and was somewhat surprised to find out that the 1200 allowed even less driver/pillion/luggage weight. This was apparently due to its' greater mass. for a power lifter gone to fat, it appears that suzuki suggests I carry either 40 lbs of luggage or 40 lbs of pillion, not both. I would like to know what the limiting factors are and possible fixes. In other words, do I change tires, shocks, frame, bikes? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B12Larry
(9/30/01 8:01 pm)
Too much fat?

Guy, the owners manual states that thre's only 10 lbs difference between the two in GVWR.990 and 980 lbs. I would suggest that the limiting factors are the tire ratings and the soft (stock) suspension. Most any good street tire short of a supersport tire should handle all you could want on a Bandit. The real sore spot is the stock suspension. With an upgrade in shock and fork springs you should be in good shape to haul all you could want.

PeteSC  
(10/1/01 11:24 am)
Re: too much fat?

Without going into details..(ahem!) When loaded for touring, or two up...I exceed the GVWR.
I have the Progressive 420 rear shock, with the next higher rating spring, and the Progressive fork springs.
Both seem to make the bike a lot less 'mushy' with heavy loads, and I recommend them.

cpyguy69
(10/8/01 5:44 am)
Thanks for the advise

Thanks for the advise. It sounds like a stiffer suspension should do it. I had race tech valves on my 600 bandit and I think I'll go that way again. further research reveals that a GSXR 1100 shock might be the way to go on the rear.

cyclechris
(10/10/01 7:39 pm)
Re: GSXR Shocks for Bandits

Hey CPYGuy,

I have read that theose shocks may work for a pre 2001 Bandit but may be too short for the 2001 Bandit which comes with a somewhat stiffer suspension. I think though, that Dale over at www.holeshot.com has a rear shock for the 2001 and earlier Bandits.

Chris

PeteSC  
(10/12/01 10:45 am)
Re: re: GSXR Shocks for Bandits

Dale special ordered my progressive 420 with the higher rate spring.
I'm sure he could do it again...

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)