Author Topic: What grips should you use with heating elements?  (Read 3746 times)

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
What grips should you use with heating elements?
« on: May 31, 2005, 03:14:27 PM »
I am considering adding heating elements under the hand grips on my Bandit. I currently have Grab-on style foam grips on it. I like these kind of grips so would prefer to keep them. Are these style of grips compatible with the heating elements? If they aren't what would you suggest, gel grips? I have very large hands and need a grip that has a large outside diameter. As for the heating elements, what are the pros and cons to the different brands?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 04:51:19 PM »
I used gel grips when I installed my Dual Star grip heaters.
I don't know how effective they'd be with a thick grip like the foamy Grab-Ons.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 06:45:46 PM »
Living in MInnesota I've had heated grips on my last several bikes.  Foam grips worked well but it took a while to notice the heat compared to others.

I use the Kimpex foil heaters sold by Dennis Kirk in the Snowmobile catalog at <www.denniskirk.com> for about $25.  They have a low and high position and I've never felt the need for high heat except to get them up to temperature.  Otherwise low works well down to about 30 degrees for me.

I would recommend some sort of glue when putting the grips on -- I used hair spray -- it gives you a minute ot two to get the grips in place before it sets up.  I let them dry overnight just to be sure.  Never had a problem after that.  

My favorite grip is the Sun-Line Grand Touring grips -- they're barrel shaped and of very tacky rubber that doesn't get slippery even when wet.

While they seem hard, they do absorb vibration and road shock well.