Author Topic: Route planning  (Read 12856 times)

Offline Silverstreak

• Board Homesteader!
Route planning
« on: April 04, 2005, 08:59:33 PM »
My wife and I are palnning a trip around the northeastern states. We'll start with a ferry ride to Rochester. Then we'll head south to Corning to stay with friends; from there we'll head northeast through the Catskills to Albany and then back down the Hudson to NYC; from NYC up to Cape Cod; from the Cape up through Vermont to Montreal and back to Toronto.

If anyone can think of things we should see, or better, roads we shouldn't miss, then let me know. :thanks:

:thanks:  :thanks:
Do or do not, there is no try.  
-Yoda

Offline Silverstreak

• Board Homesteader!
ooops!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 09:01:58 PM »
Oooooops!

...planning a trip :duh:
-Yoda

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 10:21:51 PM »
Wow, SS.  Sounds like a wonderful trip.  Have fun and be safe.  Hopefully, someone will chime in and give you some must-see attractions.

I hope you don't mind - I split this into it's own topic.  Seemed like it deserved it's own thread.   :motorsmile:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Kamzilla

• Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 10:44:46 AM »
SS,

When do you plan on making the NYC to Cape Cod leg of your trip?  My lady and I were just talking about the same trip last night, perhaps we can ride up together?

When riding down along the Hudson, try taking the Palisades Parkway.  It's a really nice road, not too bad on the traffic, and you'll see a lot of bikers along the road.  Just keep the speed sane, because troopers hide out along the way.
Kamil
Formerly a '96 B6S - Now owned by steel96

1999 Honda VFR

Offline Silverstreak

• Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 11:55:54 AM »
Sure, that would be great. We'll be arriving in NYC around August 12-14.  :motorsmile:

Can you be more specific about that parkaway? Where does it start and finish?
-Yoda

Offline Bill Man

• New user!
Route Planning
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 10:18:13 PM »
Don't know how much time you plan on to get to NYC from Corning, but if you can take the long way I have 2 suggestions for either the North or South route to get there.
Heading North from Corning get yourself to Rt. 28 through Adirondack Forest.  What a great ride! :motorsmile: When I rode through there I jumped off of 28 and onto 30 North through Saranac and then into VT.

The 'South' route from Corning would be to get to Binghamton then take Rt. 17 to Rt. 97.  97 winds along the Delaware River down to Port Jervis.  This is one of the best roads I've ever ridden.  Incredible twisties and amazing views down into the river.

Enjoy!

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 09:13:19 AM »
Sounds like an awesome trip, if you have time, get up into the fingerlakes.  You won't make much time, but it's a beutiful area.

Watch out that weekend of August 12-14 in the Corning area, I believe NASCAR is at Watkins Glen and that whole area gets a little crazy.  Of course, if you're a fan, then maybe the race could be part of your trip.

ENJOY!
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Route Planning
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 11:06:15 AM »
Finger Lakes!   Very pretty!

There's a Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport I never got to go to.
http://www.linkny.com/~curtiss/
  (Used to drive a tractor trailer hauling wine and juice out of the Finger lakes area.   Been all over it in a truck, would love to go back for a cruise on a bike.)
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Silverstreak

• Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 08:57:04 PM »
:thanks:

That's great feedback. It looks like we'll cross the lake on the ferry to Rochester. Then we'll head down through the finger lakes to corning. From there we'll follow the Delaware to NYC, stay a couple of days in the big smoke before heading north up the Hudson Valley. I've just gotta go to Saugerties. Then we''l go over to Providence and on to Chatham. We'll stay a couple of days in Chatham before heading north to Montreal through Vermont.

It's our 25th Anniversary, we're calling it our "Silver Butt Tour".
-Yoda

Offline Kamzilla

• Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 10:22:46 PM »
If you need any info on NYC, don't hesistate to ask me.
Kamil
Formerly a '96 B6S - Now owned by steel96

1999 Honda VFR

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 05:27:03 PM »
I'm in the fingerlakes area.  I can point out some great (and quick) stops.  There are tons of great waterfalls and gorges to see.  One of them is Watkins glen, so if you are around during the race weekend, stay away.  Most of the other falls and whatnot are in and around Ithaca.

Offline Silverstreak

• Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 12:24:24 AM »
Could you be more specific? We're going to be coming down from Rochester on Aug 8th and staying somewhere around Ithica. If you know of any good food spots that would be good to know. Knowing best road choices, that would be good too. Art galleries, antiques, folk festivals - I'm looking to fill this trip with memories, so don't hold back.

:idea:
-Yoda

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 11:33:29 AM »
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Silverstreak

• Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 11:14:23 AM »
We're gettin close friends. I've got the bike tricked out with Rocket bags on a rack that I designed myself. I've got a throttle lock, BB filled handle bars, a sheepskin, a new chain and some fresh oil. We're ready.

However I could still use some tips on good eat spots, and accomadations. Here are our stop-over points. I know we can look these spots up on the net, but I'm really just looking for favorite spots that you guys have experienced. Just give me location details and I'll plug it into our trip plan.

Rochester - we'll be arriving after sunset so we don't want to go to far.
Port Jervis/Poconos - we'd like to camp here.
New York - someplace with secure parking - LOL
Between Hudson & Springfield NH - camping
after that we've got things nailed down.

We'll post a trip blog when we get back.

:motorsmile:
-Yoda

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Route Planning
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 10:43:54 PM »
Rochester-I've stayed at the Park Plaza on Jefferson Rd a few times for work.  A little pricy, but nice.  I like to eat at the Bugaboo Creek that's a couple miles away again a little pricy, but some of the best steaks i've ever had. :bigok:

the whole strip along Jefferson Rd is full of chain resurants and hotels.  Most of the big chain stores are there as well (Walmart, Target, Pep Boys Gander Mountian ect.)  Not very cultural, but if you're just staying the night it's OK.

Enjoy :beers:
Jon

2004 Suzi B12