Author Topic: PNW Bandit ride III - Pictures (Dialup Beware)  (Read 17638 times)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
PNW Bandit ride III - Pictures (Dialup Beware)
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:43:40 AM »
Hey guys...

New thread. Anyone available and interested in a ride July 20-23rd +/-?

I'd like to make a trip to Mt. St. Helens area, but can be persuaded to go elsewhere. Anyone got time?
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline RobRobinson

• Board Homesteader!
WA Ride!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 11:29:06 AM »
The Robinson Riders will be in that area.  We do not know our schedule yet but sure would enjoy if we can ride with you.

My cell is 386.212.0179.

Rob Robinson
RIDE FAST!
NO FEAR!
STAY ALIVE!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 04:33:25 PM »
Pretty sure I can work that in, but have to see what's on the calendar since we have one of our grand-daughters up from FL in town then... but I'm pretty sure she's gonna be with one of her aunts or uncles on those dates.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:08:26 PM »
Sorry July didn't work (I broke my nose playing Rugby instead :boohoo: )

Anyway, Cargo7 and I have the following trip loosely scheduled.

Thursday Aug 23 - Meet in Osoyoos or Penticton, B.C. Some loops through the area.
Friday Aug 24 - South through Ellensburg & Yakima area, heading for Mt St Helens. Overnight?
Sat Aug 25 - Mt St Helens area, everything we can fit in. Overnight back in Ellensburg or Omak area.
Sun Aug 26 - Home to Cranbrook for me, Vancouver B.C. for Cargo7.

Like to meet up with anyone who is interested. We are going regardless.
Paul

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:09:19 PM »
I just rode the NE side of St Helens last Sat. FS 25 from Randle to FS 99 (didn't go any further S on FS 25 than that) was rougher than normal with several short stretches of gravel (20-200m long). FS 99 out to the crater also has several spots where the downslope side of the road is sinking. Most of this you see without riding over it on the way in, so you're prepared for it on the way out.

I'm not sure if I can make this one yet. I'll have to wait until early next week to see.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bobcat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »
Damn! I'm gonna be in San Jose for the week on business. And you guys will be riding right through my neck o' the woods.  :sad:

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 10:18:59 PM »
I can't make the August trip, but I do have a little trip planned for September.
My plan is to go to Revelstoke on Friday night the 7 of Sept.
On to Nakusp and then Needles and Vernon or farther on Saturday.  Then down to Highway 3 and back up to Nelson and to Balfor and down to Creston for Sunday and Back home on Monday.  

Lots of miles, but some really great roads.  Including DH 2 which I have never done.

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:38:42 PM »
Gosh darn !!! I'd be there, bad shoulder and all.....and I promise not to try any off-roading again... :lol: .....
but I'm going to be in Winterpeg for my niece's wedding that weekend. :crybaby:
Well, maybe later on in September, which will give my shoulder that much longer to heal..... :wink:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 07:19:29 PM »
Well...back from a nice 5 day trip. 3200 kms for me (2000 miles) Only 2 of us, Cargo7 & I, but both Bandits. We met in Kelowna, B.C. on Thurs Aug 23 and spent the rest of the day going south on the BC Okanagon DH's and TE's.
Friday Omak, Okanagon, Orondo, Wenatchee, Ellensburg, overnight in Yakima. Great fun on lots of interesting TE's.

Here's us going through Old Blewett Pass. A 1930's highway between Wenatchee and Ellensburg

Friday TE's and DH's to SR25 through to Mt St Helen's, with a side drip on SR23, to Cougar back to SR 90 then down to overnight in Cascade Locks on the Columbia River.

Some Mt St Helen's shots:

Satuday, along the Columbia River on Hwy 14 East, up the Klicitat, 97 to Yakima, back up the 821 Canyon, 97 back up to Okanogan.

A shot down the Columba from the Cook-Underwood Road

a couple of shots of near the Wells Dam, south of Pateros

Overnight in Okanagon, Wa. Cargo went west and I went east the next morning

Great fun. Decent weather, spectacular scenery and a great mix of roads, from major highway, through to goat paths and intense twistys (for miles on end)
Paul

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 09:51:25 PM »
:bigok: The power of St Helens never ceases to amaze me whenever I ride FS99. It's been 27 years since she blew and the area is still devastated, though small shrubs are finally starting to sprout up in the direct blast zone.

Did you see any of the elk herd? It's supposedly the largest single herd in NA. Didn't see any on my visit a few weeks ago, but usually do.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 10:56:05 AM »
Great photos, and your nose looks pretty straight Paul. Looks like a good trip all around.  Yes that is a lot of miles, but well worth the effort by the look of the pictures.

I'm counting the days until I head out that way.  I will be very lucky to have the same weather that you enjoyed.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 10:00:34 PM »
Mt St Helen's certainly is awe inspiring. Still hard to really imagine. The road was pretty clean for our trip. We chased a few young bucks on full on sport bikes for a while before they got worried that they would get passed by a Bandit 600 with bags. They finally wicked it up and were gone.

Did you see any of the elk herd?

Not anywhere on SR 25 or 99. But Ron saw the rear of what he described as the biggest Elk he had ever seen on SR 90 just before dusk. Headed off the road, good thing.

Great trip. Still some good roads down there I haven't ridden yet. Have to save them for 2008, including 504 from the west side.

I'd hoping for one more decent trip before fall/winter. Maybe PNW Bandit ride IV in the works? Late Sept before I'll be in a position to go again, but a 4 day trip works OK. Maybe we can look at a trip from the Okanagon through the Lolo Pass.
Paul

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 01:59:31 PM »
Sounds good... maybe I'll be able to make that one.  :lol:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline RobRobinson

• Board Homesteader!
LOLO Pass
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 08:46:29 PM »
:motorsmile: You are correct, Sir, in advocating Lolo Pass.  Grant & I rode that on our way back from WA and it was superb.

Beartooth was even more amazing this time - Grant even ride his "offroad" Suzuki into the tundra on top to get close to a mountain goat.  He stopped before causing distress to the goats or the tourists!

I'm still trying to get together a summary of our 8,500 + trip from KY to WA & back.  One thing I will mention now - if you want a cool place to stay in Cle Elum, try the Big Game Lodge.  It's perfectly located for day trips around WA and the floks there are extremely hospitable.  Tell the owner Lauren that the Robinson Riders said hi!
RIDE FAST!
NO FEAR!
STAY ALIVE!