Author Topic: PNW Bandit Tour 2008  (Read 46970 times)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: PNW Bandit Tour 2008
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2008, 01:06:01 AM »
Hey Matt

I've done the Hwy 127/12 section from Dusty to Dayton (DH 37) and Wawawai Grade road, both ways. I haven't done Almota/Mayview Rd over the lower Granite Dam, or Hwy 12 into Clarkston/Lewiston, so we may go that way.

Check your phone mid afternoon, as we will be in the same area, and we can keep an eye out for each other. Otherwise, first one to Lewiston look for a cheap hotel. We've stayed at a couple, but there is a bunch. See you Friday.

Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2008, 12:23:39 PM »
what time do you guys think you'll be where?

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »
Hi Andrew

Cargo7 and I haven't firmed up yet, but he plans to make Keremeos or Osoyoos Thursday night, and then we will likely meet in Kettle Falls or close by for 11:00-12:00 (Pacific) Friday. Down past Spokane, possibly on Hwy 231 through Reardan and onto Sprague a few hours later.

If you want to travel West from Spokane and meet us, I will confirm some timing with Cargo7 and let you know. We could likely meet on Hwy 2 somewhere, if you have a coffee shop in mind, early afternoon.

I will PM you with our cell numbers, and send me back yours.
Paul

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2008, 05:22:17 PM »
Everyone that's riding from Spokane is stuck until 5:00 pacific and I still don't know who's for sure coming on Friday night versus early saturday. I'll PM back my number and you can call me when you're north of town and we can see what time it is etc.

If you're in Kettle Falls 11-12:00 then it's very likely we all could meet you south of spokane as you come across. If you are through the Reardon/Sprague area earlier, I could bomb out just to meet you guys for a minute. Viking Burger in Sprague is a place to eat. Typical burgers and chicken strips.

If all else fails, we'll call you all when we hit Lewiston and you can guide us in to whatever fleabag motel you guys are at.

A

Offline Bobcat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2008, 08:19:15 PM »
 :yikes:

Bring your hot weather gear, and plenty of water.

Forecast for W. Montana looks to be about 10 degrees cooler Saturday-Tuesday.

Offline mobilemike

• TURBO TYPER!
    • Mikes Mobile Marine
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2008, 11:48:23 PM »
All that I know is that I will be at Bobcats house Thursday night before dark and will follow the happybus after that. :motorsmile:
01 1200 RED
high comp pistons, gsxr cam, ported head, full exhaust, fork brace, rick forks, penski shock.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »
Cargo7 & I are meeting in Kettle Falls at 11:00-11:30 (PDT), then basically taking Hwy 231 (with some twisted edges) down to Sprague, then Hwy 23 to St. John, back roads to Dusty & Colfax, then Wlicox Rd/Almota Rd accross the lower Granite Dam and then finishing on Hwy 12 into Clarkston.

ETA is likely 2:30 in Sprague, 4:00 Colfax, 6:30-7:00 in Clarkston for supper.

New rear tire on, just need clean up the bike & gear a bit tonight, and off and running tommorrow.

:thumb: Yea Haw  :thumb:
Paul

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2008, 06:11:20 PM »
looks like the spokane crowd won't be ready to roll til later on... which is good with the heat situation. Nick and Chantal (sp?) are thinking they'll be ready to roll sometime around 6:00. Yvonne (harley) is not coming due to work, which makes me feel bad since I'm her boss... :roll:

So watch those phone late in the evening and leave a light on for us.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it's up *EARLY* on Saturday to beat the heat up into the mountains.

A

Offline Bobcat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2008, 02:06:18 AM »
Define "early." To Red01, that means 2:30 am.  :grin:

Offline Nick2k

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2008, 04:05:08 PM »

Chantal and I will be making our best efforts to have kickstands up and pull out of the driveway at 6pm. From there we meet up with Andrew and it's off to Lewiston!

I'm sure Chantal and I will want dinner when we hit Lewiston, and sounds like Andrew will be in touch when we roll into town to coordinate with everyone.

We're looking forward to meeting everyone and having a great ride! :motorsmile:

-Nick
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14

Offline Nick2k

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: PNW Bandit Tour 2008-PICS POSTED!
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2008, 12:18:01 AM »
Chantal and I got home a few hours ago, and here's some pics I took...

Here we are gassing up in Spokane.

Andrew, Chantal and I rode from Spokane to Lewiston Friday night. Our first stop was in Colfax to have some liquids and check the bikes. Great sunset ride down, but pretty warm!

Here is Andrew on his B4. I call this one "Big Man on a Little Bike".

Here are Andrew's 400cc and Chantal's 600cc:

A close up of Chantal...not many bugs...YET!

Friday night we stayed at the luxurious (?) El Rancho Motel in Lewiston. Features: Outdoor pool, mysterious bedspread stains, shower temperature randomizer, smelly room funk...AND we can't forget:

Andrew should have demanded his quarter back, damn thing didn't work.

Friday stats:

107 Miles
Moving time: 1hr 55min
Stopped time: 1hr 18min
Avg speed: 55.6moh

Gearing up and ready to hit the road on Saturday morning:

First item on the agenda was a trip up the Spiral Highway. Talk about a wake up call!

From the top of the Spiral Highway:

Taking a break mid-way to the top of Lolo. Time to park in the shade, relax, take a dip in the creek to cool off:

At the top of Lolo. You would think it would be cooler at the top, but noooo....

Matt making a fashion statement. Soon to be all the rage in Montana!

The fabled sign:

Time for dinner. An amazing steakhouse. Matt had a grilled cheese.

Saturday stats:

324 Miles
Moving time: 5hrs 29min
Stopped time: 5hrs 54min
Max Speed: 132mph
Moving speed avg: 57.6mph

Sunday was HOT, HOT, HOT! We rode from Plains, MT to St. Maries, ID. Had to take a dip in the St. Joe River to cool off:

Chantal and I broke off and headed home. I'm sure there are plenty more pics to come from the other guys!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:50:30 AM by Nick2k »
2008 Kawasaki ZX-14

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2008, 12:38:55 PM »
It may be that you guys made a wise move heading home early. The next 100 miles was even freaking HOTTER! We ended up about 30 miles from Lewiston where the high yesterday was 108. I got in last night at about 8:00.

I clocked a total of about 800 miles :thumb: in two and 1/4 days... though google maps calls it more like 750 :shrug:

Be sure to check out the route. This just shows the part from Lewiston to ID-97 and I-90. If you can't figure out the rest... well...

It was a great ride with a decent mix of stuff for all riders. My ol' girl held up pretty well, so long as the roads weren't too straight. She sure spent a lot of time at 9-10k revs....

There's only one thing I'd change: the weather! Next year I suggest we go for June or September.... this August stuff is just insane! Oh, one more thing I'd change: the smell in Lewiston  :gagme:

I'll post up some pics and details of the roads shortly.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2008, 02:50:34 PM »
So most of my photos were much better done by Nick, but here's a few:

A tale of three bandits... leaving Spokane

Obligatory pun-laden image just for Stormi :wink:

Here are some of us getting ready to roll early on Saturday in Lewiston. That's Chantal on the left making the rest of us look like grungy roadkill. Mike (MobileMike) and Matt (Bobcat) *never* stop picking on each other.

and for good reason... One of these things is *not* like the others! And do you notice that glow around Matt's head? We're still not sure what that is, but it's damned annoying.

Sweet sweet shade. That's Ron (Cargo7) on the left. He didn't believe in B4's until he actually saw one. I think he's still skeptical...

This is the last we saw of Ron. Hopefully he made it home. Or at least got started again so he wasn't stuck up there in that blast furnace.  Ron figured he had to go back at the halfway point up Lolo to avoid an 8-10 hour grind home on his last day.

The dip in the creek was awesome, and really helped make that next 5 minutes of riding a little more tolerable. Did we mention the heat yet? Stupid hot.

Matt continues to make incredible fashion statements.

D'oh! busted!

The legendary sign is missing at the bottom of the run. This one is about a mile below the summit, so after cooling down and watering ourselves a little at the summit, we ran back down for the obligatory shot. It was a strictly enforced 1 minute stop with no gear removal allowed. Must keep moving! Why does everyone seem to be shooting their cameras in random directions?

We ate dinner at the steak house, as Nick mentioned. Paul (pmackie) suggests that it will be 20-30 miles to get around Missoula and up onto MT-93 headed northwest. Then it will be a simple matter of finding a hotel. That took 85 miles straight into the sun. Still stupidly hot. The valley was beautiful, the road was not, being mostly straight and high speed on a long slow climb.

The hotel in Plains, MT was actually kind of nice. After a few beers and a/c enhanced sleep, Paul Mackie is looking pretty chipper.

I never actually got a good shot of Paul W. (Red01). I was all lined up for a perfect shot with a foot on the bike. He turned just as I was clicking the shutter. Go figure.

Two shots of us all suiting up after breakfast Sunday morning, still in Plains, MT. We got smart and actually had breakfast today *before* riding for three hours. Mike tried and failed to eat the most ridiculously huge pancake I've ever seen. Nick and I swapped bikes for the 25 miles into Thompson Falls. The power was fun to play with, but I missed the flickability, the beautiful exhaust note, and the SCREAMING WIND of the ol' naked B4. :roll:

Finally, here's Nick and Chantal suiting up to head home after our swim. Note the stylin' bandanas... Muffy, my wife, thinks that if Nick is dressed as Fred, why isn't Chantal dressed as Daphne, where's Velma and "how the hell did I end up married to Shaggy!?"

There it is. I don't think I've sweat so much in my entire life. I've also never known the sweat to be so utterly useless as a means to cool off. But despite that, it was a great trip. Thanks to all!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 01:10:17 AM by andrewsw »

Offline Bobcat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2008, 01:04:25 AM »
Mike and I are back at my place. Got in about 8 pm PT. Will post pics tomorrow. Mike shot some video too.
  :bigok:

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2008, 01:11:35 AM »
Bobcat, did you guys miss the thunderstorms? We're looking at nickel-sized hail bearing down on us. What happened with Mike's tire?