Author Topic: PNW Bandit Tour 2008  (Read 46103 times)

Offline Bobcat

• Board Homesteader!
Re: PNW Bandit Tour 2008
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2008, 02:06:37 AM »
We caught rain in Ephrata--about an hour from home. No t-storms though. Believe it or not, Mike's tire gave up the ghost when he pulled into my driveway. I shut my bike off, and I heard Mike say "Holy shit. Look at that." Bubbles showing from a tiny puncture. He's thinking about plugging it and riding it home. No, I am not joking.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2008, 03:33:11 AM »
I made it back in one piece ~ an hour ago (10:30 PM). 

More after I get some much needed sleep!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Chandita

• New user!
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2008, 02:26:48 PM »
Thank you so much for a great ride!  There were so many amazing roads and beautiful scenery everywhere you looked.  I really appreciate all the tips and knowledge everyone shared.  It was awesome to be in the company of other Bandit enthusiasts.  Hey, it was a fun experience all the way around.  Well done guys!

Can't wait to see more pics and video once everyone recovers a bit and I hope the rest make it home safe too. 

Again, I can't thank all of you enough for such a well executed tour of Idaho and Montana.  I'm looking forward to next year. :)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »
Again, I can't thank all of you enough for such a well executed tour of Idaho and Montana.  I'm looking forward to next year. :)

Well executed?  :rofl: Not bad, I guess, for 90% of it being executed on the fly.  The only parts that were "pre-planned" were the Spiral Highway and Lolo Pass sections. 

Oh! And we don't have to limit ourselves to once a year!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
PNW Bandit Tour 2008, day 1
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »
Mike (mobilemike) & I met up at Matt's (Bobcat) place just outside of Ellensburg on Thursday night.  Matt was determined to find the twistiest route possible through the central Washington desert to get us to Lewiston.  No small task given Destination Highways chose to ignore this slice of WA and call it The Donut Hole.  If you look at a map of this part of the state, you'll notice most roads run straight E/W or N/S unless running next to the Columbia River and even that doesn't offer too many curves.  Those that are offered are generally high speed sweepers.  Nonetheless, he did an admirable job of finding us all that was available.

Here's a shot near Desert Aire, WA.  Probably not the sort of scenery people from outside of WA think of when they think of Washington.

As Andrew noted, it was HOT!  So, shortly after lunch, we found ourselves a spot to take a swim in the Snake River at Central Ferry State Park... either 55 miles outside of Lewiston (if you're in a hurry) - or ~130 miles if you want to avoid wearing out the center of your tires - which was especially important to Mike since he didn't have much left in the middle to give up.

Mike says, "Have you ever texted Google?"

The swimming hole alongside the shipping lane to Lewiston.

Matt pointing out our preferred route to I-dee- ho.

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
PNW Bandit Tour 2008, day 2, part 1
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »
While our palatial 3-bed, 3-room suite at the fabulous El Ranchito didn't come with the funk smell enjoyed by Nick, Chandita & Andrew, it did have some of the hardest mattresses known to mankind.  I'm almost certain the floor was softer - which surprises me, since I'm guessing these are the original mattresses put into the place when it was built 30 or more years ago.

Here's my versions of the first morning the whole gang was together:

And my pics from the upper terminus of The Spiral Highway atop Lewiston Hill.

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
PNW Bandit Tour 2008, day 2, part 2
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2008, 04:09:55 PM »
The crew:

The Spiral Highway, with Lewiston, ID, Clarkston, WA & the Snake River down below:

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
PNW Bandit Tour 2008, day 2, part 3
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2008, 04:40:10 PM »
The more photographed sign at the west end was missing... hopefully it will be replaced.  Since it was gone, we just had to flip a U turn and pose in front of the eastern one after our break at the Lolo summit rest stop.

The better bike pic:

The bike doesn't come out as well in this one, but it gives you a hint of what's in store:

Part of my plan for arriving at the sign first was to get everyone as they pulled up to the sign.  The Bugsmasher Express, piloted by pmackie, was next to the scene:

Then came Chandita:

Followed by husband, Nick2k:

Our token B4, andrewsw:

Then in rolled the guy with a perfectly fine running Bandit, who rides his non-Bandit to a Bandit rally, bobcat:

And last, but not least, the guy elected "Most Likely to Experience a High Speed Blowout," mobilemike:

The whole crew together:

After that, it seems I forgot to take anymore pictures...  :roll:
 :banghead: It seems I do it every time...  :duh:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2008, 04:53:48 PM »
Great pics guys...

Great ride, great roads, great people,...great time :clap:. I had a blast (and a blast furnace...104F is freaking HOT :ghostrider:)

Home at 6:00PM Mountain (5:00 Pacific). All great, no issues...(and no pics this trip).

Already thinking about the next one.

My stats...
4 days, 2500 kms(1560 miles), 24 litres of water ( for me, not the bike  :grin:).

and Nick...thank for the tip on the Flowery Trail Rd. It was excellent.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Bobcat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2008, 05:49:09 PM »
One thing I learned about trips in August--bring a swimsuit. Or just swim in form fitting lycra cycling shorts. Everyone loved the shorts except Chandita, who pretended not to know who I was (which hurt a lot).

Bikes lined up at the top of the Spiral Highway:

After everyone left the top, I stayed behind to take a group shot. I can tell that's Chandita leading the way on the bottom right, but my camera (POS) was on max zoom and I still couldn't get close enough to make out who's following.

At the Lolo summit. Mobilemike and Chandita have refused to park with the group.

Hey little buddy.

As mentioned, it was hotter than hell. Andrew rubbed ice into his head,

and pmackie used the break as an opportunity to take the shower he'd been putting off for 3 days.

On Sunday night, after a long drive in the dark looking for cheap hotels, we pulled into the worst hotel in the North America. Located in Priest River, it ranks as my #1 for the crappiest place to stay on a motorcycle trip. The bathroom is in what was once a coat closet, so when you shower your ass hangs out over the sink. Red and I enjoyed this little jewel on a trip a couple of years ago, and I was eager to introduce mobilemike and pmackie to its charms. However, defying all known physical laws, it had actually grown worse over the last two years. There were hoodlums hanging out in the parking lot who seemed a little too interested in the bikes, the proprietor looked like a reject from the Chicken Ranch in Nevada, and a creepy old guy kept popping out of one of the adjacent rooms and unscrewing light bulbs in the walkway. I felt a little unsafe, and Red smelled like fear after losing control of his bladder and urinating in his leathers. So, undaunted, we pressed on and found a nicer place down the road. I was disappointed there was no stains on the carpet, and that the price was too high, but I relented after somebody handed me a drink.

One nice thing about this place: the girls could sleep in the room with us.

This allowed Mike to practice his cornering form until 1 am. Personally, I think he leans the wrong way in the corners.

This also gave me the opportunity to clean Mike's bike, which hadn't seen a bath in 3 years.

Before:

After:

Mike laid around drinking rum while I was doing this, and made noises about feeling guilty that I was polishing his motorcycle.

Monday morning we set off, rode some great twisties, and then said goodbye to our token Canuck, pmackie, in Colville. We headed east on 20 to Republic, where Mike and I split to head south, and Red kept heading west. As we were heading into Grand Coulee, a horrific dust storm started up--something we learned the locals refer to as a "dirt wind." Lovely. We soldiered on, passing a group of Harleys (the last guy in line was wearing shorts and tube socks with no shoes), found some rain in Ephrata, and finally pulled into my garage around 7 or 8 o'clock last night.

The other bit of drama on the trip was the continual discussion regarding Mike's tires. He had decided that his Pilot Powers, which he had used for trackdays and which were almost to the wear bars, would be more than sufficient for a ~1500 mile trip. I told him he was crazy, and that he wouldn't even make it to the second day. To everyone's amazement, the tires kept  regenerating themselves over the next 3 days. They lasted all the way back to my house, and which point the rear sprang a leak. By now, it had become a point of honor for Mike to see if he could make it home. He borrowed my pump, and set off this morning for home. I last heard from him in Goldendale, when he called to say he had only lost 3 psi over the last 150 miles. I think Mike is a little bit insane. Here's how they looked when he left this morning:

A great trip, albeit a little warm. Great to meet everyone, and to have some attendance at one of these get togethers.  :grin:

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »
If my B4 is little buddy, does that make the hay bus The Skipper? :rofl:

"LIIITLLLLLLE BUUUUDYYYYY!!!!!!!"

Offline Bobcat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »
If my B4 is little buddy, does that make the hay bus The Skipper? :rofl:

"LIIITLLLLLLE BUUUUDYYYYY!!!!!!!"

GILLIGAAAAANNNNN!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2008, 08:05:40 PM »
Hey Matt, did Mike get his SD card out of your laptop this time?  :trustme:

After we parted in Republic, I turned south on a road about midway between Wauconda and Tonasket.  Bobcat may remember the spot as one where he almost ran over me when we were heading eastbound a couple of years ago when I did a quick-stop for a visor change on our way to Republic.  Anyway, the map shows it as a paved road southeast to Aeneas, where it then splits, with the SE fork turning to gravel and coming out on SR 21 and the SW fork remaining paved and coming out on SR155 near Disaute.  Well, I don't know if the SE fork ever turned to gravel, but it was still paved when I turned off.  The map was lying about the SW fork though.  It was immediately gravel.  Since my map was showing a campground near a lake not too far down, so I was hoping the road would become paved again.  I also didn't want to backtrack back the way I came.  Not just because it would have been  ~40 mile wasted detour, but there was also a county sheriff sitting at one of the little lakes and he seemed a little startled when I went by . . . and I was pretty sure he'd be awake and anticipating my return.  I think that was the longest 22 miles I've ever rode my B12!  I managed to meet 4 pickups on that road.  Only one was in a straight section (he was very courteous and slowed way down and moved to his extreme right side to minimize dust and maximize safe passing), the others were mid-corner and well above the posted 35 MPH speed limit (which I rarely was willing to meet).  Good thing I was hugging the RH side in the corners, because those three trucks were taking their half out of the middle - or worse.  The first one had to take evasive maneuvers to keep from making me a hood ornament!

Overjoyed once I made it to blacktop, I could see storms to the west, seemingly right in my path.  I stopped in Twisp to say "hi" to some friends for ~20 minutes, then topped off the tank for the Cascade crossing.  Thunder & lightning was getting very close, but it was looking like it was going to stay on my left and things were looking clearer towards Winthrop and the passes.  Just as I hung a left to leave Winthrop though, I started to get rain.  The amount was rapidly increasing from a couple of drops to outright downpour in just a block or so, so I pulled into the picnic area, under a big tree that had an equally large dry area underneath so I could don my rain gear and put the rain fly over my luggage.  While I was doing this, some lady pulls up in her RAV4 and scolds me for being under a tree in a lightning storm.  While this is generally not a good idea, the tree was offering me shelter, and it wasn't the tallest thing around, considering the huge bluff on the other side of the street.  I also figured it was safer under the tree than riding out across the open valley floor just as you leave town. By the time I got everything ready to go, the rain had stopped, but with the roads still being very wet and figuring there'd be plenty of cars & trucks to pass, leaving everything protected would be the smart thing to do, so off I went.

Between Winthrop and the Liberty Bell curve (~20 miles), I only passed two pickups, one hauling a horse trailer.  Didn't see another vehicle in front of me until a mile or so out of Marblemount.  Only met a dozen or so vehicles coming from the west side the whole way - over half of them were fellow motorcyclists.

My total mileage for the trip: 1714 miles

My early (~1850 mile) review for the Pilot Road 2's:
Dry pavement:  :thumb:
Wet pavement:  :thumb:
Gravel roads interspersed with sandy sections (all dry):  :annoy:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2008, 12:28:29 PM »
Was watching the Weather Channel a little last night since my oldest daughter lives in the area being hit by tropical storm Fay and noticed the weather over most of the roads we just ran was getting hit pretty hard by rain.  Pretty much in a backwards shaped C from Lewiston thru Missoula and back to Cour d'Alene.  I'm glad we had to put up with the heat instead of rain!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2008, 11:25:26 PM »
Damn guys (and gal), I'm again jealous of your trip!  Awesome write-up. Thanks!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7