Author Topic: PNW Bandit Tour 2008  (Read 46036 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: PNW Bandit Tour 2008
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 04:22:58 PM »
You shouldn't have any troubles though... you can always draft behind Matt and let his Happy Bus just suck you along and really save the gas!!

Bring a strap, and I'll pull you over the pass at 140 mph.

So make sure your wheel bearings are in good shape.  :thumb:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mobilemike

• TURBO TYPER!
    • Mikes Mobile Marine
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2008, 04:11:07 PM »
I'm in the process of figuring out what my real range is. According to the math and spec tank size, it should be 136 miles to reserve and then 14 to dead on the roadside. I never go over about 100 on a tank, so I don't know where it really lies. And, with the new tires coming on, I may lose a little mileage, but those miles will be longer... maybe that's a wash. Anyway, I'm going to run it down to reserve a couple of times and see what I get. Maybe it's not all that much of an issue, but I'll bring a hose anyway.

What are you riding? That is pretty low mileage.
01 1200 RED
high comp pistons, gsxr cam, ported head, full exhaust, fork brace, rick forks, penski shock.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 07:29:59 PM »
It's a '93 B4. It's piped and jetted and K&N filtered with no snorkel in the box. I get about 37mpg. I may be a little rich in the mid's, probably float level and not needle, but not by much.

You would think I'd get better mileage than that, but it's naked, and old, and jetted...

I asked about mileage in the latest MPG thread, but noone else responded with B4 mileage. :(

A

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2008, 10:45:03 AM »
That's around the same neighborhood as a jetted B12 gets (I get 39).
What's the tank capacity on the B4?  (B6/12's carry 5.0-5.3 in 49 state versions).
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »
4.2 gallons per spec, including the reserve, which is 1.6 quarts.

Other B4 owners have claimed mileage of about 40, with a similar setup. So, I figure I'm close. Known to be a touch rich in places, it makes sense.

As I said, I'll bring a tube, or maybe a 1 gallon spare gas can, just in case. I'm continuing to try and research the gas station issue, it only takes one gas stop a few miles in from either end and I'm good.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 12:37:05 PM »
This sitesuggests that it's a crap shoot for fuel, but a nice route. I've heard good things about the St. Joe river ride too, which they incorporate into a loop back to moscow. It looks like, from the maps, it might be a better ride than Lolo, frankly.

The route back west from St. Regis to St. Maries puts you in prime position to run up ID 3 to ID 97 through Harrison along the east side Lake Coeur d'Alene to Wolf Lodge. A real sweet ride.

These guys like ID 14 down to Elk City
http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2007/WMR/lolopass.html

My harley riding friend has heard of this ride and wants to know if she can come along. I've been neutral so far, but need to give her some response. I'm thinking of telling her it's a bandit only ride, but don't want to presume. I think she's a fairly competent cornerer and rider in general, though she is pretty new to motorcycling. She does put down a fair number of miles though. Anyone have any input on this?

A

Offline Bobcat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 02:14:19 PM »
I like the idea of hitting the Saint Joe River Road on the way back in from MT. Two other roads I'd like to ride are Yaak River Rd and SR 37 NW of Kalispell.

re: your friend, I don't care if she comes. The only issue I've had with Harleys in the past has been pace; if she normally rides at traffic speeds (which includes RVs and campers) then she will be falling behind very frequently. We don't ride like jackasses, but I'm not content to sit behind a line of traffic for miles on end either.

If she's fine with that (or if she actually likes to corner her Harley) she's more than welcome to come.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 10:08:11 PM »
We don't ride like jackasses, but I'm not content to sit behind a line of traffic for miles on end either. 

I don't think we ride like jackasses either, but some of the folks we've passed might take issue with that. Like the guy in the pickup loaded with camping gear/toys leading a string of cars on SR 20 when we passed the whole string at once.  I don't think he was giving us the sign that we were #1.  :rofl:

I think it's safe to say we ride a "spirited" pace.  Something not too many HD riders do, though you do come across some once in a while.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mobilemike

• TURBO TYPER!
    • Mikes Mobile Marine
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2008, 11:27:08 PM »
I like the idea of hitting the Saint Joe River Road on the way back in from MT. Two other roads I'd like to ride are Yaak River Rd and SR 37 NW of Kalispell.

re: your friend, I don't care if she comes. The only issue I've had with Harleys in the past has been pace; if she normally rides at traffic speeds (which includes RVs and campers) then she will be falling behind very frequently. We don't ride like jackasses, but I'm not content to sit behind a line of traffic for miles on end either.

If she's fine with that (or if she actually likes to corner her Harley) she's more than welcome to come.

Yea I am not sure I have seen a harley rider who wants to keep our pace for hours much less days. Unless its a bagger they usually have very small tanks too.

01 1200 RED
high comp pistons, gsxr cam, ported head, full exhaust, fork brace, rick forks, penski shock.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 11:38:19 PM »
Thanks for the input on my friend. I'll put it to here, and take for a more "spirited" ride and see what she thinks. She claims that she is frustrated by slow riders...

I hate to break up the bandit thing though. I'll just stew on it for a while. She's riding to sturgiss, so maybe she'll have had a enough and keep me from being an ass about it...

Offline Bobcat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 12:17:16 AM »
I hate to break up the bandit thing though.

I ain't riding my Bandit.  :wink:

Offline mobilemike

• TURBO TYPER!
    • Mikes Mobile Marine
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:20 AM »

I ain't riding my Bandit.  :wink:

Thats OK. I will stop and wait for you. :toofunny:
01 1200 RED

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 08:46:57 AM »
I spoke to my Harley friend today. She's not sure if she can come, due to work constraints, but still wants to come. She says "I can take care of myself, and now that my regular pegs have been replaced with forward controls, I don't grind the pegs anymore." So we'll see, but she has no problem if the pace leaves her behind because she rides alone a lot and is perfectly happy just to be out.

Meanwhile, something to note about St Regis->St.Maries, this guy claims that the stretch from Gold Summit to St Regis is graded dirt, but not a problem. Not sure how old that information is though.

A

Offline Bobcat

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2008, 01:00:55 PM »
Out of curiosity, what kinda Hardley does she ride?

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2008, 01:23:15 PM »
It's a sportster, I think an 883, might be bigger.